???? about job at Tutor Time

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by jennyd, Oct 5, 2005.

1. jennyd

jennyd Companion

Oct 5, 2005

Hi :) I posted this on another thread, but I thought I'd post here, too.....

Last year was my first year teaching and I taught 4th grade. I left that position at the end of the year for a variety of reasons, and this year I am still searching for a job. I saw an ad for a kindergarten position at a Tutor Time facility and am thinking of calling to ask about it, but I don't know much about that company. I've got the website that I'm going to look at, but I was wondering if any of you had any opinions/info about it. Would kindergarten there just be considered private school. If I should be lucky enough to get the position but wanted to leave next year, would I be looked down upon for having worked there and not a public school district? This whole job search thing has been so stressful and it just increases by the day - I just don't want to make any wrong moves.

Thanks!!!

3. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Oct 5, 2005

Can I ask you which one? I used to work at a Tutor Time in nj.

4. jennyd

jennyd Companion

Oct 5, 2005

It's in Old Bridge - apparently they are expanding. What type of position did you have while you were there? What did you think of it?

5. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Oct 5, 2005

Oh, I worked in one further south. Some Tutor Times are franchises, some are corporate-owned. I worked at a franchise, and I was the Kindergarten/Head Teacher. The Tutor Time village is great--even on a rainy day, you have somewhere to go where the kids can have fun. It was a lot of planning, though, to use the village the correct way. You're supposed to have centers in the village, and the school I worked at only did this part of the time. It was a lot of work for the director to get the teachers to each set up a center in the village!

I worked there 5 or 6 years ago, so the curriculum may have changed but it was very.........."worksheety." We had books that we had to buy from corporate and the owner said if we gotta buy 'em, ya better use 'em. Which I completely understood, but it was a lot of sit work for the kids. It has probably changed since then--I know a lot of trends have changed in early childhood education. The one I worked at didn't pay much, the day was long (9 hour shifts since they give you an hour lunch [off the clock].) I also had to work summers, but I'm sure every school is different. I liked it there because there was always something different to do with the children. We would even visit other classes in the school to use their centers while the other class was outside.

I have worked for franchise centers as well as private facilities, and, in my experience, it all depends on the director/owner. You really need to carefully tour the center, and speak to the director and hopefully the owner. In this instance, I would ask about the curriculum, if it ties in with the area schools, can you/do you use the schools as resources and who is your contact person at the school? I would ask how the village is used. If there is a dance room, I would ask about that also. Does each class have a period for gross motor activity in the dance room as well as outside time? It's great for a bad weather day if they have a dance room. I would also check out the supply cabinet, the manips, and the supplies available in the village and the dance room.

I would also ask about procedures/policies for ordering supplies, breaktimes, and uncontrollable children. The more they can tell you, the better. If they say they order supplies "when they're needed" and the shelves look low, be prepared to spend your own money. This did not happen to me at Tutor Time, but another franchise center I worked at.

Regarding public school's thoughts about working in a center, I say that any experience is good experience. When I applied for public school jobs, I pushed the fact that I was involved in curriculum planning, trip planning, and that I used the community as a resource. I know this is a long post, but I've had so much happen to me working at centers that I wanted to give you some good things to ask. Let me know how it works out!!

6. jennyd

jennyd Companion

Oct 7, 2005

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

That was so very helpful. When I was there earlier this week filling out the application, I spoke to someone briefly, but she said the director would be interviewing people next week. I'm certain to be prepared with all of the information that you gave me!

Thank you, again :)