? about adding cooperating teacher's

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bella2010, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jan 27, 2014

recommendation letter with my resume and cover letter. I'm asking because the way she worded some things is in the present tense, and it could be kind of confusing to somebody reading it who doesn't know. Like in one sentence she says something about how I'm working as a paraprofessional in a special needs classroom. That was seven years ago. She didn't put a date on the letter, so that worsens the confusion. I love her to death, but the letter isn't very professional. She didn't even sign it.

So, should I include it? I don't really feel like I have a choice since I think it's pretty commonplace to have one from your cooperating teacher, and I don't want them to think I don't or left on bad terms.

My stomach is in knots trying to analyze and over analyze everything about this application because I want it perfect. I'm going to be really bummed if I don't even get an interview, lol. I think I've spent 5+ hours polished my resuming, working on my cover letter, etc.

Beth

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 27, 2014

Do you have anything more recent? As an administrator, this letter sounds like something I wouldn't take a second glance at.

Can you get a letter from a current administrator? Grade-level chair?

I think the letters of rec should be no more than two years old.

4. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jan 27, 2014

Nooooooooooooo. I don't want him to be annoyed at me because I want to leave his district, lol. We don't have a grade level chair.

5. strepsils

strepsils Companion

Jan 28, 2014

Seven years is too old to use. You need something more current.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2014

I agree that 7 years is too outdated.

7. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Jan 28, 2014

Do you have an instructional coach? My 2 principal letters of rec are both from principals who left my school in the last year (I plan to ask one of my new principals for a rec in the spring when I officially file my intent to leave) but my instructional coach wrote me a letter of rec so I have something from someone in my building.

When I asked my principal last year for one, I just said I was updating everything since it had been 5 years. She was fine with it--I guess because she knew SHE was leaving :lol:

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 28, 2014

What is your reason for leaving? Not trying to be nosy, just wondering if the P won't really be as annoyed as you think.

I really think you are going to have to tell your admin and get a letter from him. :unsure: 7 years is too old for a letter.

I am applying this season as well, and I got letters from my P, AP, grade level chair, and BTSA (new teacher induction program in CA) mentor.

Maybe you could ask someone like a counselor or the school psychologist? If you've worked with them closely, that is. Do you only have one admin?

9. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jan 28, 2014

No, no instructional coach.

The school counselor and psychologist is one in the same in my building, and she's new this year.

I'm wanting to leave and go to a smaller district, and TBH some of the reason is my P. I also want DS to go to a smaller school.

I'm not asking my P for one. Not doing it. He has a big ego and thinking for a hot second that someone doesn't want to work for him will ruffle his feathers beyond belief. I'm afraid of retaliatory behavior, honestly.

IDK what I'll do. Kind of sounds like I'm screwed. The more I think about it the more I think it probably wouldn't work out anyway. Most districts around here don't hire until the last minute, and my superintendent is notorious for not letting teachers out of their contract if it's past the window when we can resign.

This district has a short open enrollment period when people who live outside of the district can enroll their kids. I'll just try to get DS enrolled then.

Thanks anyway, everybody.

Beth

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 28, 2014

I'm sorry. :( That's so frustrating. Were you a new teacher in this district? Did you have a mentor? Was there anyone else within the last 7 years who was in at least a marginally supervisory position over you?