? about a new study guide for Praxis II 0014

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by rebelgirl, Jul 30, 2006.

1. rebelgirl

rebelgirl Rookie

Jul 30, 2006

Hey! I am brand new to the board today. I have checked out some of the post about the 0014 test. I am currently studying for the book and slowly gathering the resourses to find all of the topics. I have ordered all of the "What your __ grader needs to know" except the 6th grade one. The revised edition comes out at the end of August. these have been very helpful. If you are looking for these check out ebay and amazon to purchase at a resonable price.

My question is that I have stumbled across a website that you can purchase a study guide for the 0014 test for $75. I think that is a bit high but it gives you the total information and not just the topics. For example, I would not have to research the theories and concepts concerning reading development or strtegies for comprehension. They would all be spelled out for me.

If anyone has an opinion on this please let me know.

I can't put the website up there because it was blocked by the board because i am new. if you google "praxis 2 study notes" you could probably find it.

My big concern is not knowing any of the "teaching"questions on the test. I am pretty sure I can find all the other Science/math/history stuff in the other books.

thanks a lot!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 31, 2006

Whatever the Web site is, it should be possible to Google it or the company behind it or both to find out how satisfied others have been.

The advantage to looking up the specifics for yourself is that you will more fully own the information in question; but it's certainly the case that there are many ways to study for CSET that are different but quite valid.

4. kbat

kbat Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

First of all, I think the test is $75. I got the ETS study guide for the 0014 test for $25 on the ETS website. Overall, I thought that the "study" guide really wasn't worth it. It basically tells you the various areas to study and it has one practice test. I was a little disappointed as it really didn't give any concrete things or sections to study. I had to go to other sources to actually study the materials. Things I got to study were the GED--especially for the math, it explains the basic stuff pretty well (you can probably get this at the library) and I got some of the What your _______ grader needs to know. I hadn't taken most of the math since high school--I graduated in 1985, so at least 21 years for most of the stuff.

I studied for about a month. I did review the English and History, but since I took those things in college, I felt that I only needed a review (even though it's been 17 years since graduating from college.) And overall, I think I did fairly o.k. on those sections. (I don't know for sure because I just took the test last Sat.)

I would say for the English, there was a mix--a lot reading comprehension stuff and/or interpreting a passage (i.e. tone of a passage, stuff like that) I would say know the various literary terms like it says because they may ask you something like on line 6 this is an example of ___________? And if you know that stuff you will be o.k. Some of it is common sense.

History was kind of a mix of US history and world history and some map type/geography questions. (Of course, I would consider some government type questions under history, while some may call it civics, etc.) There were some things I had to make an educated guess on. I would know that 2 of the answers were wrong, but then have to try to eliminate one more answer, but since I took lots of history in college and do o.k. on that on Jeopardy and watch history programs, I think I did o.k. that section.

I thought the science was kind of harder than expected. Some of the questions were kind of very specific. One question, I had studied some of the generalizations that were in the books I got, but the question was very specific. I didn't have that info in any of the books I had gotten and when I got home I actually had to look it up on the internet. But then again science is my weakest of the 4 subjects.

I think if you have those books, you will probably be fine. I started studying my weakest points--math and science so I wouldn't "run" out of time.

I too was worried about the teaching questions, but just like on the practice tests those questions didn't make up too many questions on the test that I took.

Also, go to the library to get some Praxis II "study" guides. Some have the various sections that you can study from. But I got them more for the practice tests. I think it's good to take some of the practice tests throughout your studying so that you can see how you are doing. Just go early to get them, but sometimes they may not have them if you wait too close to the exam

Sorry to ramble on. But I hope some of this info is helpful

5. rebelgirl

rebelgirl Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

HEY!

:angel:

tHANKS for that great reply. Like you I feel ok with English and Math. I am really just reviewing. social studies, I am looking at a little closer. I watch tons of History Channel so I have a good broad base of knowledge. I just probably have forgotten some little things here and there.

Science was never a strong point with me. I will have to buckle down on it the most. And I will also try to look up a little more on the teaching questions.

I am going to take the test in Nov. I just decided to do this back in July so I want to give myself enough time to feel comfortable taking the test.

I am also wanting to take MS math Praxis and possibly MS Science just to increase my certification.

thanks again - jackie

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 8, 2006

There are some helpful materials - and discussions - among the old threads here: don't be shy about plundering them. And feel free to ask questions about the materials you don't know.

For purposes of elementary school and general science, Usborne's Internet-linked Science Encyclopedia turns out to be an outstanding resource - not the cheapest thing I recommend, but very high in the "Wow!" factor.

7. alpanarana

alpanarana New Member

Mar 6, 2007

HI,
    Can anyone give me information about NJCUE & NJ pathways.........how do we register for anyone of these & what is the pre qualification?

8. Zen

Zen New Member

Apr 2, 2007

0014 Test

Hi All,

I found this board while researching study guides for the 0014 test. I want to advise anyone in the state of WA not to buy the "West-E/Praxis Elementary Education 0014" study guide published by XAMonline, Inc. in 2007. I am not even half way through it, and I have found numerous content errors, complete omissions of text, and incorrect answers on the practice test. At this point, I do not trust ANY of the content of the book. Too bad, because it does provide some in-depth information, but overall it is not reliable. I spent $55 on this, and now I have to buy another guide. I won't sell this book, because I don't want anyone else stuck with it!

Cheers

9. Arjay

Arjay New Member

May 3, 2007

PLEASE HELP!

Good day to everyone!
    I just move here in US 4 yrs ago, i have a bachelor degree in elementary education from the philippines and to make my story short i send my transcrip of record to WES to find out if im qualified to teach here in US luckily I am:wow: i got 145 credit:thanks: So now i have to take the praxis II i look at the website about the exam it look sooooooooo difficult to fast, i would like to buy some books that i could study but i dont have any idea what kind of books should i buy.:eek: Any help will be appreciated. Thanks alot...

10. ZOB

ZOB New Member

Aug 31, 2007

(ZOB)
    I am trying to find out from anyone that have used "praxis 2 study notes" for the 0014 Elementary Education test for $75. I saw that rebelgirl was exploring the information but never said if she used them and they were helpful. I want to know before i invest in buying them. Can anyone out there tell me the best books to study for this test.

11. ZOB

ZOB New Member

Aug 31, 2007

cjasdjfswfwfswfiwufwfrnmkwfnmwgkwfklwflwfkllfkkl;

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 31, 2007

There's no such thing as the one best resource for absolutely everybody. Where possible, it makes sense to get hold of a copy of a resource and spend some time with it to see if it works for you - if you find yourself understanding your world better after reading that resource's explanations than you did before, it's probably a good choice.

It's worth pointing out that most teacher tests come in multiple versions, and the different versions often have different emphases: that's one of the reasons why studying specific test questions isn't always a good idea.

13. precious angel

precious angel Companion

Sep 2, 2007

ZOB, I've purchased 3 study guides from the praxis2studynote site and the information is very helpful. You will have to study those notes carefully. I'm waiting to receive my praxis scores now. You might want to see what information is best for you. The other material I bought (books,etc) were not helpful to me. The praxis2studynote site broke everything down and most of those questions be on the test. I would recommend that site:).

14. ZOB

ZOB New Member

Sep 4, 2007

Thank you for the information. I have the notes and they are excellent. They do break down the information. Hopefully i will pass the test.

15. ZOB

ZOB New Member

Sep 4, 2007

Teacher Groupie, Thank you for the information. I did buy the notes and they are Very helpful. They break everything down. I would recommend them for others. You can buy one subject area or all four subjects. the web site is praxis2studynotes .

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  16. shannahf

shannahf New Member

Nov 5, 2007

Would anyone be willing to sell their email attachment to me of these study notes?! I really want them, but don't have the $75. My test is in 2 weeks! I really am getting no help from the study guides I bought or the Everything you need to know in ___ grade series I borrowed from the library!

17. Mommytoteacher

Mommytoteacher Rookie

Nov 6, 2007

kbat, you are awesome! Thanks for the insight. I am taking the exam in two weeks and was stressing out about the teaching questions.

I am buckling down and studying my weakest points!!!

Thanks!

18. Grad-Student

Grad-Student New Member

Oct 11, 2008

the new WEST-E in Washington? what to study?

I'm new to the boards here...... I'm a graduate student in Washington..........working on my Masters in Elementary Ed. Has anyone taken the new WEST-E? There are no study guides that I can find other than the very brief overview on the WEST website. I have been using the guides of the Praxis II (0014), but they are not much help. what study guides or notes are most helpful for these tests? Any advise? :)

19. kelsbels

kelsbels Rookie

Oct 11, 2008

Praxis II Study Notes

I've been a lurker for a while now, but I have some relevant insight to add to this discussion and so I thought I better register. So, "HI" everyone.

Now, with regard to the question about the Praxis 2 Study Notes (for $75), I would like to highly recommend the purchase. I took the Elementary Education Content Knowledge (0014) Praxis II in September and I just found out yesterday that I scored a 191. In my opinion, the notes played a very large part in my success. The notes were extremely thorough and were so helpful in refreshing my memory about several science and social studies concepts.

Before I received the notes, I felt very comfortable about Math and Language Arts, but I was a little uncertain about my skills in Science and Social Studies. The notes really helped me with Science; and they did a rather good job of prepping me for Social Studies. Had I spent more time reviewing the Social Studies notes, I'm sure I would have felt even more confident going in to the test.

I think that the notes really helped me to do well on the test. Most questions on the test were covered on the information provided in the notes.

Please let me know if you have any more questions that I can help answer for you. I know how stressful the Praxis II can be, and now that it's behind me I hope that I can help someone else get through it :)

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 12, 2008

Grad-Student, the company that makes WEST-E is also the company that makes California's CSET-MS and the elementary-ed exams in Oregon, Illinois, Indiana, New York, Massachusetts, Michigan, Oklahoma, and a few other states I'm not recalling offhand.

One technique that works well for CSET-MS is to use the overview on the Web site to create an outline that you fill in yourself using the Internet and other resources including fairly advanced kids' science books, history atlases, and the like. I can't speak to details of WEST-E, but CSET-MS is less about what you can memorize than it is about applying what you know to answer questions that might not have occurred to you in quite that form.

From looking at the outline, Grad-Student, what most concerns you in WEST-E?

21. Grad-Student

Grad-Student New Member

Oct 13, 2008

The WEST-E

From looking at the outline, Grad-Student, what most concerns you in WEST-E?[/QUOTE]

My main concern right now is the science section. There are two subtests: the first one is math, science, and health/fitness. Their website (WEST-E) has a brief overview/framework of what's on the test. It covers basically the same as the Praxis II. Math is one of my stronger subjects and I did well on this on the WEST-B (basic skills) which is probably like the C-BEST or the Praxis I.

So far, for study guides, I have the "what your __ grader needs to know" series. A science encyclopedia and notes from the "praxis2studynotes" website. (science section)

There is a very brief practice test on their website which I did. it didn't seem too hard, but I do know what areas I need the most review.

any other study materials you can recommend?
    Thanks for your reply.

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 13, 2008

Which science encyclopedia have you got, Grad-Student?

The Internet can be very helpful, and you may also find that resources that are mentioned for other states' tests work well for yours.

23. YTTP76751

YTTP76751 New Member

Dec 14, 2009

New from Colorado

Hi All!

I've read some of the posts about the Praxis II exam. Here is my situation. It has been about 20 years since I've been in a traditional classroom. I have been in the construction field for 9 years. Prior to that I was a Paralegal and I also did a variety of office jobs. I recently had hip surgery and feel it is necessary for a career change. I would like to do the ALP in elementary education and get my masters in Special Education.

I looked at the study notes web site and I was wondering if this is the only source most of you used to study for the PRAXIS II 0014 or if there were other valuable resources you would recommend.

Thanks in advance.

YTTP76751:)

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 3, 2010

Valuable resources are mentioned all over the Multiple Subject Tests subforum, YTTP76751. Praxis II exams have some distinctive features in their formatting, but the differences in content between Praxis II exams and other states' exams don't tend to be very major.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you taking Praxis II rather than PLACE?