ABC's

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by teacherSMK, Jul 20, 2008.

1. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 20, 2008

:reading: I have been reading over a couple of other teachers' month by month schedules of letter introduction (from previous years curriculum guides for our school) and each teacher had a difeerent order of operations as far as letter intro goes. Some started with all CAPS in abc order, others were all lowercase, in varied order, and another was pairs of the CAP and lowercase, but in no particular order, introducing a letter each week for three weeks, and then the fourth week was a three letter review of the previous three weeks.
    Soooo, my questionis this...how do you introduce letters, and when. Also, is there a method to your madness in the way that you intro letters, and is one letter a week considered the norm? :anyone::huh:

3. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Jul 20, 2008

Depending on the age. I taught 3's and 4's and did both uppercase and lowercase together, but created my own order, that would be easier for them to write (we did the writing in the same order as the letter), so did all the straight line letters first ( Ll, Ii, Tt, Ee, Ff) and so on, moving to the harder curved letters after their fine motor skills became more proficient. Also left the vowels and harder letter sounds to the end...

4. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 20, 2008

This is a good idea...Thanks teach24iam

5. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Jul 20, 2008

no problem, wish I could still do it that way, now I have this crazy system in kindergarten, that does them all individually, uppercase and lowercase in this crazy system, that i don't get...but I think you'll find doing the straight ones first will help, obviously you can add W, V, X and those in there too....glad it helped.

6. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Jul 20, 2008

I follow the reading curriculum that our school adopted. Basically though, we are teaching the most commonly used letters first and letters that aren't as common at the end (Qq, Xx, Zz ). I am still teaching 1 letter a week (capital and L. Case together). I've used three reading curriculums in my 12 year career and all 3 of them started off with the same 3 letters - Mm, Aa, Ss. For me this is helpful because I always teach the letters and sounds together. If I teach the more commonly used letters/sounds first the kids are able to have more success with their journal writing. Also, because blending and spelling CVC words is such a focus in kindergarten it is important that vowels are introduced fairly early. Our PreK program, however, seems to teach the straight lined letters first becasue they are easier for them to print.

7. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 20, 2008

Thank you both so much! Very helpful ideas! :wub:

8. ashleylaurenstl

ashleylaurenstl Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

I do both upper and lower case together and follow the order from our reading program. I will say that I don't just stick with the 1 letter a week, that is just our focus. In reading groups we focus on groups of letters.

I have a letter focus but I don't act as though there are not other letters while focusing on 1.

Introducing all CAPs is an older way of thought. A lot of preschool do that. I don't recommend it. It causes you to have a habit to break. If students are taught all CAPs then they will probably write in all CAPs and then later on you will have to correct that.

9. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 20, 2008

:2up: I was just looking through my school's reading program and it, too has a letter that it focuses on as well as letter groups. I think I will definitely teach the pairs, as the all CAPS did seem sort of primitive, and I believe kids are smart enough to handle both. I also want to incorporate the letters in the reading curriculum with my word wall words, so your post helped a great deal! Thank You!!! So :woot: excited about learning all this new stuff...I think I will really enjoy teaching the little ones! :wub:

10. monkey girl

monkey girl Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

Our district uses Handwriting Without Tears to teach letters. In Pre-K the children learn uppercase only. We used to begin with uppercase in K and then do lowercase after that but now we intro the lowercase and review the upper. We took the HWT workbook apart and redid the pages. I like the order that they teach the uppers & the vocab that they use to teach them. We followed that order when we put our new workbooks together. I don't necessarily do 1 letter per week either. I try and see how the students are doing with them. I use pretest data for letter recognition to determine how many children know each letter and then I plan from there. If only 2 children know the letter I will spend more time on it and plan more activities (a favorite is to use a magnifying glass to hunt for the letters in our morning message and circle them with smelly markers). If only 2 children don't know the letter I will do a quick review but then use center time to work with those students more thoroughly.

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 21, 2008

Our system has the STORYTOWN reading program and they will go by the order of the letters in there... by what is mostly used, then they start throwing in simple word familes with those letters.

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 21, 2008

We go in order of the most frequent as well and teach 2 per week so that all letters have been introduced before winter break. I strongly disagree with doing all capital letters and then adding l/c because it confuses kids more to learn the L and then be told that l is the same thing after then haven't known that for the last 6 months! It also further encourages them to use all capital letters when writing and that is a very difficult habit to break. I have read the research about LOTW and I try to incorporate lots of whole language, but we have to have some kind of guide for explicitly teaching sounds and handwriting.