ABC Order Minilesson/Center

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Miss Kirby, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Feb 3, 2007

What is a fun way to teach ABC order to first graders? I want to do a minilesson and I have a fun worksheet for them to practice the skill. I also would like a center activity for them to do that reinforces the concept. They only need to know ABC order to the first letter. But it would also be neat to introduce it to the second letter to my higher learners. Thanks.

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 3, 2007

Why not put their names in big letters on around their neck then have them put themselves in ABC order.

4. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Feb 3, 2007

That's cute. I have like eight J names though, haha. And there are a couple of them they share three letters. That might get confusing.

5. iteachk-1

iteachk-1 Rookie

Feb 3, 2007

What about using last names? I always teach ABC order by using the students' names.

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Feb 3, 2007

I think I might use zoo animals.... I'll give each kid an animal word/picture card, and I'll put A-Z cards in the pocket chart. If their animal starts with A, stand up, put in ABC order. I printed animal cards and to have enough for my class I'll have some that start with the same letters (panda, penguin) and introduce going to the second letter... even though it's not a first grade standard some kiddos will be ready for it. The worksheet they will do independently has a zoo theme too so this will be cute. And then I think I'll put these cards in the pocket chart center. Thank you for your help everyone.

7. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Feb 6, 2007

i have different card games i got from dollar tree and garage sales that i use in a center for abc practice...old maid cards w/ ocuppations-artist, scientist, witch, baker, etc...winnie the pooh cards that have a color word, character name and shape word they have to alphabetize each way...matching game cards w/ animal names and pictures...matching cards w/ bible characters names and pictures...the matching games you can make two sets out of...