abbreviate masters in special education

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by newbie1, Dec 5, 2012.

1. newbie1

newbie1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2012

I know I should know how to abbreviate this since I have one, but I don't....
    I read that it's M. Ed. is that true? I thought it was M. Sped?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2012

Generally you would not list that as an abbreviation. Rather, you might use:

M.Ed., Special Education

4. newbie1

newbie1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2012

Thanks!

5. hatima

hatima Devotee

Dec 29, 2012

Thank you! In 118 days, I get to add that officially! YEAH!:dizzy:

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 29, 2012

Master of Arts (M.A.), Master of Science (M.S.), Master of Education (M.Ed.), and Master of Fine Arts (M.F.A.) refer to types of master's degree, rather than to the specific content. In practice the distinctions among the first three types tend to get blurred, though I think it remains the case that the culminating activity for an M.A. can be either a thesis that reviews the literature in the field or a comprehensive examination but is generally not a technological product such as a computer program; the culminating activity for an M.S. could be a thesis or comprehensive exam but could also be a technological product such as a computer program; the culminating activity for an M.Ed. may be likelier to include artifacts from one's learning and teaching along with a piece of writing that is likelier to be a reflection than a thesis in the usual argue-a-point sense; and the culminating activity for an M.F.A. is always or nearly always performance (one or more artworks, one or more recitals, one or more theatre productions, one or more musical compositions, one or more works of creative writing...)