Abandoning Books

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 7, 2009

What do you do when students abandon books? I let students choose what they want to read, too, but in the first two weeks of school, a few of my students seemed to switch off a lot. I want to know what you do because I want to help them in this area. I just don't know how yet, really, or I am not sure what is the best way. I have read a few great books, but how do you even address it in a student in-class reading conference in a positive way?

3. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2009

I am having the same issue... will look here for ideas or suggestions.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2009

I have never had a major problem with this until this year. Typically students must take the time to write me a "letter of abandonment" which must contain the reasons for wanting to get a new selection, how they could have prevented the situation (interviewed the book better in the library, used the suggestion box, etc.), and what book they have in mind. So often they are just wanting to waste away their IR time in the library, so having to write a letter usually weeds out those who are insincere. Plus, writing a letter defending your position is always good practice. :)

5. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Sep 7, 2009

I'm guilty of this even as an adult. :eek: I'll pick up a book, start to read it and end up all "meh", and thus ditch it in favor of a more entertaining read.

The letter idea seems stellar to me! :D

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Sep 7, 2009

I got an idea from Daily 5 (I think) that during IR they must read the whole time. They must have enough books in their book box to keep them busy for the full 15 minutes or however long IR is.

Regarding abandoned books, I just let them choose something else, noting that they didn't finish it. I think I can use JustMe's reasons in that notation, thus encouraging better book choices.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2009

Of course, I teach middle school...so it may be a little different. Their books are typically more involved...and when you give up on a book thirty or forty pages in, you have essentially wasted several days of IR time, and that just isn't okay.

8. shouts

shouts Companion

Sep 7, 2009

If I student doesn't find a book engaging or the right difficulty - they should abandon it.

After we review how to pick an appropriate book I limit it to 2 a marking period. This makes them use the strategies we talk about.

9. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Sep 7, 2009

JustMe, I love that idea. I will use that this year. Thanks

10. KateL

KateL Habitué

Sep 7, 2009

As long as they're reading for those several days, why is it not ok? If they gave the book a fair shot, I don't see any need to make them finish something that doesn't interest them.