Aargh . . . again! Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tchr4vr, Apr 13, 2016.

1. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Comrade

Apr 13, 2016

So, here's another thing from my wonderful P. We have a scheduled PD day next week. Instead of meetings, he has determined that as a school, we are all going to play golf at the local country club. Now, personally, I don't play golf, nor have any interesting in learning to play golf. I think country clubs are elitist (personal bias), so I would never frequent one, except as a guest at a wedding or something like that. We are required to wear khakis and a polo shirt--I have neither. It is costing $300/per team, and we have 9 teams--but we don't have any money for paper or subs (we officially ran out of paper and toner today) and there will be no more subs after next week. It is during a tournament, so there will be people there who are actually there to play golf, so I can only imagine that we will be annoying to those people. Also, I think it looks bad to the public--"Oh look, there's a bunch of teachers who took a half day and are playing golf" It is supposed to promote team-building. Not quite sure how. Yes, I will chat with those on my team--but I've been grouped with our self-contained special ed teacher, a math teacher and a custodian. I already know all these people well, and while I don't mind spending time with them--I'm not sure what standing around on a golf course is going to promote, especially when none of us want to be there. The custodian is livid--when she finishes the golf game--she has to return to work until 10:00 p.m. I haven't spoken with the math teacher, but special ed teacher and I just don't really know what to do.

I am so glad I have a new job next year!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 13, 2016

Does your board of Ed know? There are certainly less expensive (even free!) ways to team build.

otterpop likes this.
  4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2016

Wow! I am astounded at the waste of money. I would not be able to golf at all. I have a vision problem, can't remember the name, where I can swing, but never hit the ball. I would just frustrate everyone with my lack of talent.

I agree. Contact someone at the school board or district level and see what they say.

5. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Apr 13, 2016

I hope you're not responsible for paying any of these costs...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    bella84 likes this.
  6. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Apr 13, 2016

What superintendent would sign off on that type of PD? I don't think it would fly here.

otterpop likes this.
  7. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Apr 13, 2016

Interesting, I actually thought it was a decent effort by your principal. Yes, there may be less expensive choices, but I am doubtful any other selection will be well received by all members.

8. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 13, 2016

I think a picnic at a park, all food paid for, would be a far better and far cheaper way to bond as a staff. Maybe raffle off some prizes.

It's quite astounding that golf at $300 a team is allowed!

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 13, 2016

That would be very annoying, and I would just skip that if our P did that. We never waste our PD days on "bonding" things. We're already bonded as a team. There's no need to waste a day on that. Instead we work on things like teaching each other about how to integrate technology, or notice bullying, or what we've learned about classroom management. It's way more useful and probably would feel more meaningful than puttering around at a golf course.

It would probably be useful even to just give us time to work in teams on whatever we decided to work on.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 14, 2016

Maybe the rationale is admirable but the P could have picked something cheaper like bowling! That's just really weird. I wouldn't want to play golf either.

Caesar753 and otterpop like this.
  11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 14, 2016

If you are certain you are resigning at the end of the school year, do you feel comfortable refusing to do this particular event?

12. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Apr 14, 2016

I wouldn't want to go to the golf outing, bowling, a picnic, or whatever. However, it is pretty fundamental to building a team to have activities like these to build the right culture or environment.

Not sure why everyone is so miffed about the cost. Team building and culture, imo, trumps content and classroom activities, and I know our PD conferences cost over $500 per person, JUST for the admission, this excludes hotel, food, sub fees, and transportation.

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 14, 2016

The closest to this I've heard is one year when a principal treated all of his teachers to a mini spa afternoon at a local salon. The salon donated most of the services, and the PTSA covered the rest of the cost. Everyone got a shoulder massage, and teachers could choose between and manicure or pedicure. A few teachers paid extra and got both, but that was totally a choice thing. There was also infused water that a PTSA mom donated. What a fun way to take a break in the middle of the year! It took about two hours or so away from school, and definitely promoted bonding and faculty morale!

Backroads likes this.
  14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2016

Love this!

15. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 14, 2016

I see your frustration and get it but...

we went minigolfing once as staff and faculty. It was fun. So I can't fully criticize.

LOVE the idea of a spa day. For teacher aide appreciation week last year, we hired a couple of massage therapists to come in, and the aides could get massages on their breaks.

16. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 14, 2016

I'm all for wellness as PD. But I would hate, hate, HATE having to golf. Mini-golf is one thing... that's more accessible. Golf is not.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2016

I agree.

It's too bad that he didn't get more input before deciding to do this, but I don't think it's really all that terrible. Less than $3,000 for an all-day event for the entire staff is a pretty good deal. I know that my school has paid significantly more for similar bonding-type PD events.

I think it's also important to keep in mind that all budget money isn't always equal. Sometimes money in the budget is earmarked for certain things, like office supplies or PD, and it can't be transferred for another cause. I know this is true in my district. At one point my school had about $200k of money available for PD and related travel expenses, and none of it could be spent on anything else. It wasn't my principal's decision to delegate the money in that way; he just had to work with what he had been given.

Backroads likes this.
  18. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2016

If this is intended as a staff bonding activity, why is it taking place so near the end of the year?

19. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Apr 14, 2016

Because the culture of a school should not change and restart from one year to the next, it is a continuous organization(culture) that is built and maintained over years.

Similar to a classroom, I do not stop character development conversations, reenforcing routines, teambuilding within the classroom...etc, just becasue it is the last quarter of the year.

Backroads and MrsC like this.
  20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2016

In some ways, it's needed more at this time of the year than near the beginning.

Pashtun likes this.
  21. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 14, 2016

Something like a golf day or spa day seems really weird to me, since that's not something everybody can participate in. Something like bowling would seem to be a more inclusive activity... A total beginner can participate and have fun (unlike golf) and appeals fairly equally to men and women (unlike the spa day).

22. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 14, 2016

That's crazy. OP I feel the same exact way as you about golf and country clubs and I would feel the same way as you do. How is playing golf promoting team building? there are hundreds of better ways to accomplish this. It is also a waste of money and it will be annoying others. And I de agree that you all will seem a little silly and bad in the eye of the public.

23. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 14, 2016

Just to play devil's advocate...

Plenty of other public service employees do various "fun" trainings like this and no one bats an eye. One could argue we're just feeding the teacher martyr stuff by denying this sort of PD to teachers.

Pashtun and Caesar753 like this.
  24. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 14, 2016

Why can't men enjoy a spa day? I know many men who get massages, and who get manicures and pedicures. These are big burly country men who enjoy the foot massage that comes with the pedicure. I don't see a spa day as being exclusive.

Caesar753 likes this.
  25. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 14, 2016

I suspect that the percentage of women who would enjoy a spa day is significantly higher than the percentage of men. Different people have different interests, but I'd have less than no interest in an event like that, and the "male stereotype" is along those same lines.

2ndTimeAround and teacherintexas like this.
  26. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 14, 2016

I still think massages are less alienating for people than a golf game. I took golf as a course in high school and would still be lost trying to play a game of golf. I can see mini golf, or the driving range, or something, but not a golf course.

27. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 14, 2016

Yep, I think it's weird and I would be uncomfortable on a lot of levels. It smells like a misuse of tax dollars, even if it technically is defensible. It's stuff like this that gets blown up in the media as evidence of how "spoiled" teachers supposedly are.

2ndTimeAround and Backroads like this.
  28. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Apr 14, 2016

This post kinda proves just how difficult it is to design team building activities that are all inclusive(doesn't really exist). I also think it points to something else that is intersting when considering what is effective.

Very few if any teacher PD opportunities for developing classroom culture, tons on delivering content. One seems not only socially acceptable by the public and teachers, and the other seems to be viewed very differently.

Backroads likes this.
  29. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 14, 2016

Agreed...our district doesn't provide or seem to encourage any kind of "staff bonding" other than waiting in line for lunch at PDs (if we are lucky enough to be fed). All of our staff bonding is sponsored by the PTA or union and take place at bars and are centered around alcohol. This is obviously not inclusive of those who don't drink or aren't comfortable being at a bar and not drinking. I attend these events but always think it's a little awkward.

30. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 15, 2016

I think "bonding" professional development events should be designed for the lowest common denominator of interest / ability. Golf outing? Sure, but allow for non-golfers to spend time at the clubhouse to simply chat and not spend their own money doing something frustrating.

31. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 15, 2016

Just wondering if you meant 'team culture', instead of 'classroom culture'. I don't see how this activity would promote the qualities we would want to see in a classroom.

32. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Apr 15, 2016

I am referring the idea of teambuilding being an aspect that helps develop a classroom culture of teamwork. It applies both to the culture of the school(staff) as well as teachers doing activities with their class to develop a classroom culture of teamwork and unity. My classroom is a team, so team culture and classroom culture are synonymous for me.

So this particular activity is clearly designed for the staff.

33. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 16, 2016

I have nothing against team building activities, but the P really needs to take the temperature of her/his team's interests. I had a P once who scheduled a half-day at a bounce house place for the teachers in the name of "team building" during the week before classes started. No one was very thrilled with this idea. Most wanted to be in their classrooms getting ready for the start of the school year working with their grade teams to get lessons and routines in order, organizing paperwork, and doing some of the thousands of tasks that need to get done before the school year started. One teacher started the school year on crutches because she landed wrong in one of the bounce house things. I would hate a golf outing on a course, but minigolf would be fun.

34. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Apr 16, 2016

This is why it is so important that schools are designed smaller and why I believe we should have teacher choice schools over student choice schools. This is where teachers can choose schools where their philosophies, emphasis, ideas, likes..etc, are shared by the admin of that school.

otterpop and Backroads like this.
  35. Sassy98

Sassy98 Rookie

Apr 16, 2016

The whole idea sounds crazy to me. Sorry that you are being put through this nonsense.

36. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 18, 2016

Reminds me of the time we had to go and do yoga. With my ear disorders and balance issues, I spent most of the time feeling extremely ill or leaning against a wall to try to hold it together.

37. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 18, 2016

Oy...

One year during our Convocation, our administrators brought in a Laughter Coach. My team leader at the time was extremely no-nonsense and detested anything that wasn't about curriculum or students. She spent the whole time scowling with her arms folded in a room filled with forced laughter. That sight alone made me genuinely guffaw.

txmomteacher2 and Backroads like this.
  38. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 18, 2016

What in the world is a Laughter Coach? :anyone:

39. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2016

I have one of those kinds on my team right now. I was reading your post and could envision her standing there doing nothing while the rest of us "laughed"

40. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 18, 2016

https://www.lifecoachhub.com/laughter-coach
    Find a Laughter coach
    What is a Laughter coach?
    A laughter coach uses laughter to guide you into a state of greater happiness and wellbeing. Laughter is very helpful during any transition in life. It makes everything easier. The act of laughing connects your mind, body and spirit. And the laughter coach gets you laughing even when you think you can't. The emotional and physical release gained from laughing empowers you to live a more positive life.

What does a Laughter coach do?
    A laughter coach works with you to open a path to happiness, success and health. Laughter is the key to the mind, body and soul connection. The laughter coach helps you find the joy within and let it out. Laughter is very cleansing like deep purposeful breathing, so breathing exercise may be part of the process too.

41. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 18, 2016

Huh. Thanks.