AAA

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by silverspoon65, May 25, 2009.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 25, 2009

Is anyone a member of Triple A? I am thinking of joining. It doesn't cost much, and since I am moving this summer to an area where I know very few people, I just think it would be nice, since I don't know who I would call if I blew a tire or ran out of gas or something. (Well, besides DBF). It's less than $65 a year... is it worth it? What benefits do you get?

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

May 25, 2009

Definitely worth it, if only for peace of mind. I've had to use them a few times for a flat or a dead battery. You also get free tour books and maps, and we have our auto and homeowners insurance through the Auto Club. The rates are very good!

4. janlee

janlee Devotee

May 25, 2009

I also ditto the peace of mind. You also get discounts at hotels, stores (Payless 20%), and their travel guides are great as they list hotels, places of interest, and restaurants.

5. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

May 25, 2009

Worth it! I'm on my dad's plan so I don't pay for it, but if I wasn't I would totally get it. Oddly I've never had to use it myself (knock on wood). A couple years ago in college my roommate/best friend got a flat tire. I drove to where she was and used my AAA for her (I said I was driving the car). BUT, I guess you can use it even if you aren't the person driving. If you're in the car and you hold a AAA card the car can be fixed. It is worth the peace of mind. We just drove to NY and back this weekend. I felt a lot better knowing I had the card in case something happened.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 25, 2009

Aside from their roadside benefits, their travel benefits are great!!!

You can get anywhere from 10-20% off your accomodations at Disney World-- that's actually the main reason I joined.

7. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

May 25, 2009

I agree with the travel benefits! I was curious so I went on the AAA website. They have wonderful travel packages--4 days, 3 nights in Las Vegas for $650 for 2 people (hotel and airfare).

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 25, 2009

It's also possible to get a discount on car repair, if yours is an AAA-approved participating mechanic. And AAA is indeed invaluable if you blow a tire. As a teen, way back when, I thought nothing of changing my own tires, but that ended when all the tire dealers started using those stupid pneumatic wrenches: the lug nuts are on the wheels so tight that I can't get 'em off.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 25, 2009

I kept track one year, and my savings from using the related discounts was more than the price of the membership. I have the second-tier plan. It's more expensive than the basic plan, and DH and I both have coverage. Still, we get our money's worth.

I've used the discounts at stores, attractions, hotels, and restaurants. We've used the towing and battery service. We also had a medicalissue once when we were on vacation, and we called the local AAA office who was able to find a medical facility and give us directions. Another time we were booked at a motel that was less than desirable . . . and we called and they were able to book us at another motel.

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 25, 2009

I've used my card twice this year-once when I locked my keys in the car and just last week for a flat tire. I think it's definitely worth the peace of mind.

11. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

May 25, 2009

Aside from roadside assistance and travel benefits, you can do a lot of transactions there instead of the DMV. Just this last year, I registered 3 cars and got replacement plates for a car without an appointment or standing in line at the DMV. I was in and out in less than 20 minutes! The employees are so helpful.

12. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 25, 2009

Yup, I have it and so does my DF, we use it when booking trips and NY and Co - gives you a discount if you have a AAA card! I havent had to call AAA since college...knock on wood

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 25, 2009

I wouldn't be without it. I also have my two kids added on to my policy which is a cheaper way to get three policies. I've used the battery service, towing, locksmith, flat tire .....

14. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

May 26, 2009

We have 3 aging cars (new cars must wait until the girls are out of college), so AAA is a must! We have used the towing services many, many times.

15. Kase

Kase Companion

May 26, 2009

It's definitely worth it. I've been a member since 2002 and I don't know how many times they have come to the rescue for me. I also have renter's insurance and car insurance through them and I'm pretty much paying what I was paying in the midwest. It's so nice. Like posters have stated above you get discounts at hotels and you can even go to the site and book flights. It's great to have.

16. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 26, 2009

Definitely worth it. My husband is an auto mechanic and we still have AAA. We broke down just outside of Orlando once with our big van. It was about 10:00pm and no one around could fix our problem, so AAA got a big flat bed truck, put the van on the back and took us all the way home-90 miles. We save ALOT of money that night. Plus all the travel savings-I can never understand when people don't join.

17. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

May 26, 2009

Definitely worth it -- but make sure you don't have any other options, first. Our auto insurance offers free roadside assistance, and the state also has a program that is really inexpensive. I am a member of a professional organization (ATPE) which also offers discounted AAA memberships.

If you can't take advantage of anything like that then yeah, I would pay for it. :)

18. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 26, 2009

OK, I am sold. Thanks, everyone.