A Word of Caution....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SCTeachInTX, Jul 23, 2011.

1. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 23, 2011

Let's say there is a position. You have a friend and she teaches at Great Elementary. Your friend KNOWS there is an opening because she has been told by admin. that one of the teachers is not returning. Thus, you KNOW this job WILL be posted. So, YOU being the crafty, intuitive, creative person that you are decide to get a jump on the rest of the applicants and go ahead and email the P and AP with your cover letter and resume. Well, the position has not been posted. But the P and AP have your resume and cover letter and know of your interest. Well... YOU decide to call the AP after a week and just mention that you sent the resume and cover letter. The AP says, "Yes, she has it and thank you for your interest. However, the district has not posted the position." YOU say, "Well, my friend Jenny Teachsmart that teaches third grade at your school told me that there will be a position and I am very interested in interviewing at Great Elementary." The AP politely says, "We appreciate your interest and if the position posts we will look over your resume at that time." Well.... you wait another week and call your friend. She says there is definitely a position and that she even told her grade chair that she had a great friend interested. Well, YOU decide to call the AP one more time. You say, "Hi. I just had a quick question that I wanted to run by you. Do you have any idea when the district plans to post the 3rd grade position at Great Elementary because I would love to interview for this position? " The AP replies, "At this time we do not have a position posted. Please check the internet site daily and if the position posts, feel free to apply online."

At this point, the AP is not happy. She feels like the applicant is now a pest. She actually thought she was a pest after the first phone call. And she has no intention of interviewing the said applicant. The APs reasoning is that it is unprofessional to argue with her especially when they do not know each other on any level
    (concerning whethere there is or is not a position) AND if she IS such a good friend with Jenny Teachsmart then maybe there will be too much "friendship" and not enough quality teaching.

So.... the lesson here is:

Yes, email the principal and the AP OR take your resume/cover letter in person to the school you are interested in. But if you decide to take the bull by the horns before you even have the interview and act in the above manner... it might have the opposite effect of what you initially wanted to happen.

Oh and if you are Jenny Teachsmart's friend... please stop calling. You will not be getting an interview. I believe in being forward or bold... but not overstepping boundaries.

What are your thoughts???

3. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Jul 23, 2011

I think it would have been fine to email the resume and cover letter but not have followed up until the position was posted. It would be the same as emailing all of the schools in a district with the information.

I would never ever argue with someone I wanted to work for either.

If I was Jenny Teachsmart I would be upset with the friend, it probably didn't look too good for her either.

4. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 23, 2011

This is an extremely good point. While there are many posts about emailing Principals about job positions, in some states and districts, this is actually a very bad way to go about securing an interview. Where I live, it is most common to apply for jobs that are posted, and to follow district hiring procedures. Not following these procedures is a surefire way (in many instances) to not getting an interview.
    I understand it varies from different regions and districts.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 23, 2011

I agree. Don't be a pest!

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 23, 2011

I can also say this, when I was a brand new teacher... I am pretty sure that I was that teacher calling and pestering the HR person in the district where I wanted to get hired. If only I had known THEN what I am telling you now. I bet we all have stories of doing something before, during, or after an interview that you wished that you could change.

7. AMyers626

AMyers626 Rookie

Jul 23, 2011

I agree. I know of a school that should have an opening posted through my mom and some other teachers but it hasn't been posted yet. I have already sent my resume and cover letter so there is not much else I can do but wait until the position is posted and let them know again that I am still interested.

Job searching has definitely tested my patience but I will find a job eventually!

8. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 23, 2011

This is making me wish that maybe I shouldn't have emailed the 3 principals my resume today. I am not making phone calls--these were polite emails to schools that have not advertised any jobs yet. I have never done it before...I am not sure I should have!

9. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 23, 2011

Emailing your resume and cover letter is SMART!:) Calling BEFORE a position is posted and arguing with an administrator as to the job status is NOT so smart. :blush: You should not second guess THAT decision. But once you have hand delivered your cover letter/resume or emailed if you are too far away, then calling questioning the P or AP is not really wise. Hope that clears that up!;)

10. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 23, 2011

I def. wouldn't make any phone calls. And I for sure wouldn't argue or out my friend if she had given me potentially confidential information. Not smart!

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 23, 2011

I agree w/ you SCTeachInTX. :) I hate to be a broken record about my situation, but my mom, who's retired from the district I sub for has a friend who still works there who was able to tell me that the board approved to hire 3 SLPAs for the upcoming yr. I didn't jump the gun because then they'd wonder how I knew about it. I checked almost daily for the jb posting & when it came up, I applied QUICKLY. Two full wks has passed since the app deadline w/o any call/email from them. Mon, going on wk 2, I called & spoke to the personnel sec, but she didn't know anything. Then, Wed, I emailed the director & she usually emails me back, but I haven't heard anything from her all wk & I know she saw my email.

I'd love to call the director one day next wk, but I don't want to be a pest.

12. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 23, 2011

I think you are smart to exercise restraint. You called and emailed. They know you are interested...they have your info...they'll call when they're ready.

But the waiting really stinks, I know!

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 23, 2011

It has taken us several weeks before we could interview for a position that we have had posted for weeks. My P was looking for some specific qualifications. We have since hired someone. However, that job post is still up. Not sure why since they have filled it. There is another job that should have been posted AT LEAST a week ago and yet, the district has still not posted it online. Again, my P is looking for something specific.

So... the moral is... sometimes job interviews do not happen overnight. But once we interview, we make our decision quickly. We know who is that just right fit. Unless that person does not make the first round cut.

14. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jul 23, 2011

I had an awkward email exchange with a P last year. I have been pretty active on these boards and someone posted about an open position in the Houston area. They sent me a pm with the school info. The job hadn't posted yet, but I emailed my resume and cover letter to the P. She replied back asking how I knew about the opening since it hadn't posted. I told her that a friend online had told me about it. I never heard from her again... even once the job was posted. That was really awkward, but I didn't think that ignoring the email or lying were good choices.

15. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 23, 2011

Quite honestly, I think I would have told her that I was applying on the off chance that she may have something available. I guess that would make me a liar. :eek: And I feel bad about that. :blush:But if I needed a job, I would def send an email with my cover letter and resume. Now if I was TOO specific and stated something like I am applying for the second grade teaching position that has recently been vacated, then I think I would have to come clean. But I make my cover letters much more generic and usually say that I am interested in any teaching position that might come available for the 2011-12 school year. After all, you never know when the P might do some internal switching and then, have a different grade level that she needs a teacher to take over.:eek:

16. jessiiteach

jessiiteach Companion

Jul 23, 2011

if you are getting ignored without pestering...

If you are getting ignored without following up and being persistent, then maybe the job was given to the person who was more aggressive...

17. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 23, 2011

It's the same way where I live and in my home state. I think there are just SO many applicants that they simply can't cater to everyone who thinks they're going to "get their name out there" by dropping off a resume in person or calling to ask if the application has been received. Almost every app I filled out specifically said right on it something like, "materials must be completed and filled out online. Do not come to the school to drop off paper materials. Any materials that are not submitted through the online application process will not be considered. Do not call or e-mail to see if your application has been received." I can see their point...they get 2,000 applicants, 600 of them think it's a good idea to call/walk in...thats a HUGE hassle for them. I also know that e-mailing or faxing resumes/cover letters when no positions are open is frowned upon and will result in your stuff getting thrown away. Most of my parents' friends are teachers (as are my parents) and they all told me that any resumes that are just faxed in randomly get thrown in the trash. It makes sense...they don't have time to file all of those in case there is an opening. It also would be more time consuming for them when they actually want to interview for a position. If they're just going through a bunch of old resumes, they have no idea if that person is still interested/looking, or if that person has an interest specifically in that job (so someone with a k-6 license not be interested in teaching 6th grade math for example). It's not like they won't get hundreds of apps/resumes within minutes of posting the position anyway.

However, I know some people on these boards have said that where they live it is expected for you to walk your resume in, you can apply to schools were no positions are posted, and that calling/e-mailing a follow up will make you noticed. I guess you just need to know your area and what's acceptable.

18. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jul 23, 2011

I would never behave like the person in the original post. When I apply to schools with no openings I say that I am interested in any available teaching position. I dont follow up as nothing was ever posted, so I assume their answer was NO. I think that's fine. I'm desperate but still have some dignity and don't want to annoy or beg anyone for a job.

Like Rainbow, I am feeling bad about emailing the 2 principals from today. The district site does not say emails are not allowed. These schools didn't have any postings, but I don't think it harms the principals in any way. They should be used to it. I'm just gonna go with my gut and continue to email schools with no openings. SC I know you said that nothing is wrong with emailing them but after reading this thread it feels like something may be wrong, but I'm not gonna over think this anymore.:dizzy:

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2011

No matter where you live do NOT FAX your resume unless you've been specifically asked to do so!!!

Seriously, you're one of probably several thousand applicants in many parts of the country.

Do you really expect a potential employer to use his time and resources to print up that FAX so he can look at your resume??? Don't do it, it's a BAD idea!!!

In those places where you're sure it's a bad idea to email/ hand deliver a resume: you really, REALLY need to make sure your cover letter is head and shoulders above the competition. That's the only shot you have at having someone actually read your resume--your only shot at having someone see the "you" in your application.

As to the original scenario: I wouldn't want to be the teacher who leaked the news of the opening. For starters, there's no guarantee that the retiring teacher will be replaced-- anyone who has been barely conscious for the past few months should be aware of that. Also, there's every chance that someone else in the district will want that particular job, very likely someone who might otherwise be RIF'd. But even more than all that, we as professionals need to learn when to keep our big mouths shut. Tell your friend to apply, because you can never tell who will leave over the summer. But don't presume that your insider knowledge will give a friend the edge.

20. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 24, 2011

I still stand by the fact that you SHOULD email Principals even if there is no opening at your schools/districts of choice. Our district also has the familiar, do not contact the P with your information. We will contact you. Well, I can tell you that a good 60% of our new hires come from outside the district resources and that is true of every district in the area. Walking in your resume is a good idea. If they junk it, fine. They are not going to know that you walked in your resume anyhow. But if they actually look at it. (which MOST will because it is just human curiosity) They might look up your application online at that time to see if you even passed the Insight Test. And then, they MIGHT glance at your recommendations. At that point, they might invite you in for an interview. The idea is that you peak their interest, but you don't beat them over the head with your persistence. It is a given that if you only apply to districts and do nothing else, that you may get overlooked because of the sheer quantity of persons applying to the district. But if you actively pursue a teaching position, then you definitely raise the chances of an interview.

21. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 24, 2011

PS~ For those of you that decide to sit back and wait for the jobs to come to you... that is always your choice and you have actually cleared the way for Suzie GoGetter. She is walking in her resume, smiling brightly, making contacts, and getting interviews because she has shown initiative. So, she thanks you.

And yes, if you are in an area where walking in your resume is deemed unacceptable and the secretary makes it a point to say that it is against district policy to leave printed materials for the principal concerning employment opportunities, then I would smile brightly and say, "I am so sorry. I am new to the area and still trying to figure out how things are done. Have a nice day!"

22. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 24, 2011

I was working on thinking outside of the box this past weekend. Now I know that some of the districts I am applying to are up to two hours away and I have sent letters out along with applying. What about creating a 60 second introduction via youtube and sending a link with the cover letter? Has anyone tried that? Just a thought.

23. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 24, 2011

I have never heard of that... Not sure what to think of it. I guess my answer is that I am just not sure. It may come across as innovative and technological or... not. So, I am just not sure. What do you all think?

24. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 24, 2011

I like the idea. I have no idea how others will perceive it. My only caution is that youtube is often blocked so you would need to convert it and send it as a file.

25. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 24, 2011

I think that is very innovative. Districts go on and on about how they want their teachers to use tech. in new ways...this is definitely using your noggin! Of course, some might not be receptive just b/c it is another way of sending info. without being asked, but that is a risk you take with sending your resume, anyway...

26. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 24, 2011

Ok I am going to try it out when I see positions come up far away and will let you guys know how it goes. I will be the guinea pig for it.

27. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 24, 2011

Curious to know how it works! That is great that you can apply up to 2 hours away. I am limited to 30 min. away in a relatively unpopulated area, so it's tough. I hope this works for you!

28. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 24, 2011

I would make it a file than a link and say what it is. If you send a link, it looks like spam and is probably blocked anyways.

29. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 24, 2011

Thanks for trying this out. It may be something that others can use. Who knows... you may have hit upon the next big thing! I would agree to send it as a file because most districts use huge spam blockers and your email may go straight to spam if you just send a link. Good luck!