A weird question/situation...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by 5-guy-7, May 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 17, 2015

As a first year teacher one of the lessons to learn is how to put everything into the kids during the year, then letting them go. If you really made a connection with her, then chances are, later in life she'll connect again through social media or some other way. I feel pride when I see kids that I taught as 4th graders now graduating college and contacting me about events in their life. I've had knee student that I gave my chi tact information to after she left. She was going to live with an aunt. I spoke with mom and the aunt. I gave her my school email and the aunt gave me hers. It was more to help her transition to the new situation. (Mom had medical issues and dad was going to jail.) We emailed off and on for 6 mos. or so and that was it. She found me not long ago in Facebook and we've chatted several times since. Your student isn't going through anything like that. Wish her the best and move on.

2. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

May 18, 2015

I only read the first two pages before noticing that this is OPs first post--I am suspicious--as this is a very creepy/red flag/troll type of issue.

5-7 guy if you are serious--please get help.

3. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

May 18, 2015

Part of being a teacher is letting go of your students each year. Please be careful. Maintain a professional distance.

Yes, it's sad to see some of them go, but again...be careful. You sound like you are a great teacher. You've listed ways you've been successful this year. Don't jeopardize all of that.

When I moved abroad I told my kids if they ever wanted to chat/needed anything to email me. I wrote my email on the whiteboard and I've had two kids keep in touch here and there, but THEY were the ones who have emailed ME. I only email them if they email me first. I never asked for their email.

I think it's okay to stay in touch with students, but at a distance.

Don't initiate anything.

4. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

May 18, 2015

Agreed.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 18, 2015

When I was in elementary school, our teachers sent us letters over the summer. I'd usually get a letter from the teacher I had last year, and a letter from the teacher I would have the next year. They sent them to everyone. It was nice to feel appreciated in a non-creepy way. Then again, I grew up in an extremely small town and went to a very small private school, so things were a bit different.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 18, 2015

I think that sounds like a very nice thing to do. I also think that it makes a difference that the letters were sent to everyone, not just one extra super special student whose impending absence is bringing up about feelings of depression.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 18, 2015

This whole thread is bizarre. I hope it's a joke, but honestly I can't quite tell. If it's real, then I would strongly encourage the OP to seek guidance on appropriate teacher-student relationships and boundaries.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 18, 2015

And that about says it all. I am going to close this thread now. There is another similar thread still open.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.