A Webquest

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by RitaFirstGrade, Dec 1, 2006.

1. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

3. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Dec 2, 2006

Okay, I really like the idea of doing a webquest, and this is a great start, because it is easy to follow, and I love the use of the sled at the bottom.

Not to be too much of a downer, but...

The links are a little too technical for 1st grade, because:
    - the Organizer doesn't just print when I click the link.
    - the Newscast doesn't start automatically
    - the All About Snow site within the first few words uses "agglomerates", reading too high
    - the Make Your Own Snowflake site is too technical, because it has to go through 3 screens to download the information.
    -on Task 3 make the links directly with the text, not below under Resources

4. JoDee76

JoDee76 Rookie

Dec 2, 2006

I didn't check the link..but I saw your name First Grade and decided to ask you if you were interested in linking your class with some penpals from New York City

5. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Dec 2, 2006

Research Parent,

I understand that the link doesn't automatically print the papers they need. This is something I would teach ahead of time so they would know how to print. I could also give them the printed materials ahead of time, but I chose to put links in the webquest so others can print materials. In regards to the snowflake site, again, I would show them ahead of time how to get to the snowflake activity and adults would be prresent to support them as well. In regards to the reading level, I understand that some of the words are over the kids heads, but that doesn't mean that they can't get information at that site. With first graders, it is impossible to find sites that are completely readable. However, they are able to learn from the webquest with support. I wouldn't just set them free on their own.

Thanks for your suggestions.

6. keltlana

keltlana Rookie

Dec 3, 2006

Hi! I love it! I taught first grade for years and agree that they couldn't do it without a lot of support. I teach third grade now, and and it's a perfect fun project for them to do independently. Because I really do think it could be appropriate for other grades, a suggestion is to change the "designed for first graders" to something like "designed for 1-3 graders". I would love to try it with my kids in January, but I'm not sure I could with it saying it's for first graders! Anyway, great job and thanks for sharing!

7. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Dec 3, 2006

I changed it to say grades 1-3! :)

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2006

I would love to use this with my 2nd graders- how long are you keeping the link active?

9. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Dec 3, 2006

I'll keep it up at least the rest of this school year.

10. keltlana

keltlana Rookie

Dec 5, 2006

Thank you so much for changing it! I'll use it with my third graders after winter break. I know they are going to love it!

11. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Dec 10, 2006

As a parent, if its for their grade, I would expect them to complete it on their own. If they're going to have assistance, then no worries.

As awhole, I do like the webquest! Science, history, art, and the internet in one!

12. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Dec 11, 2006

This is a little off-topic, but RitaFirstGrade, your class website is awesome!:wow:

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 11, 2006

Wonderful job, Rita!