A WALT DISNEY WORLD/ORLANDO Challenge for Alice (and others)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by McKennaL, Apr 30, 2011.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 30, 2011

Ok... Alice (and any other WDW/Orlando-crazed fans out there) here is your challenge:

I have finally made up my mind. I am going to the International Reading Association Conference in Orlando. And I am going two days early. I have (left over from YEARS ago) 2 passes. One day of a 5 day hopper pass at Disney World. And One day of a pass to Universal. I am the "get there before the gate opens stay until the last dog is hung" sort of traveler- so there is NO doubt that I have a full day at each. BUT... I want to see every thing I can (meaning multiple parks). -- I would love to do this without the use of buying a huge guide book...because i used to research my vacations like you, Alice...and LOVED it. But - well, as I said...it's only a day at each and then on to the conference, which is a -strange enough- a thrill for me to be going again.

The last time i was there was 10 years ago, and I went there about 4 times within the 6 years before that. So we can nix any rides or attractions that have been there for years before that.Meaning I'm not going to go on Dumbo, the teacups, or any other oldie. Not with only day.

Ok.. so what would you choose? Venture to describe an order? Remind me - using WDW world transportation, how long does it take to get from park to park? If you were going to go to one evening parade/lightshow/etc. which park would you choose? If I can't get there, have a second choice?

Ok...next challenge: Care to do the same for Universal?

More: Nightlife... nope, not a bar-hopper. But I was thinking of heading over to Downtown Disney one night - NOTE: NOT a night of one of those passes - are you crazy? I'm smarter than THAT! (night of taking in the shops and maybe a LITTLE entertainment). Any place else...in Orlando?

Ok.. that is enough of a challenge for a post. :)

3. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Apr 30, 2011

Tell me more about your likes/dislikes. Do you like rides? Do you like the foliage? Do you like shopping? Do you like movies? Do you want to feel like you saw the highlight in each park and focus on everything else in one, or do you have the desire to do a "best of" type of thing.

(For me, I find that leaving MK, it takes about 45 minutes to an hour to park hop. Depending on the time of the day, about an hour from each park to the other, with the exception of Epcot to Hollywood Studios which takes about 30 min.)

So, give me more info, and I'll give you a sample day. :)

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 30, 2011

If you have done the classics, then I would recommend Animal Kingdom. They had just opened the everest roller coaster when we went and it was a lot of fun. The safari was really cool.

5. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Apr 30, 2011

I second the Animal Kingdom recommendation. There are lots of new rides and attractions there--Expedition Everest is so much fun.

Also, I always find new things to do at Epcot, and I think their firework shows tend to be lovely--I remember seeing lots of firework shows at the World Showcase. I think they have a new ride or two (did you ride Soarin' while you were there last? I can't remember how old it is...).

6. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 30, 2011

I 3rd the Expedition Everest....if you like roller coasters! It was pouring rain when I went on it and still so much fun!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

ACK!! Broken space bar!!! Let me see whatI can cut and paste.

Your passes are the kindw/o an expiration date, right??

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

Ok I'm on Peter's laptop, which I hate, but at least I can answer.

To be honest, my best advice is to join www.touringplans.com

They'll provide you with a touring plan that suits your needs. They'll also give you acess to their lines app for your phone.

But it has to be said: there's no way you'll hit even most of the highlights of Disney World in a day. And you've got to figure at least half an hour, maybe double that, to get from one park to the next, so you may want to decide on just one or two.

OK, now that that's out of the way: are you going to spend any of that precious time in one of the many wonderful restaurants?? ( i don't think I would. I would be sure I was at Epcot at dinner time and do counter service in the World Showcase.)

I have no desire to see Universal. So my personal plan would probably be something along these lines:

Day 1: Be at Epcot at rope drop. Go to Soarin' right away, get a fastpass for later and see it right away. Then head over to Test Track and do the single rider's line. Mission Space is right next door, so see that too. See whatever else you want in Future World.

Then, either:
    A) Get on one of the Friendship Launches for Hollywood Studios. It will probably be too late to snag a fastpass for Toy Story Mania, so you'll have to see that next trip. But spend the afternoon there.

or
    B) Get on the monorail to the Magic Kingdom. (see below)

Get back to Epcot for dinner; use that fastpass for Soarin', then spend the evening at the World Showcase. Be SURE to see Illuminations, the fireworks/laser display... it's breathtaking.

If you're going to skip Universal, spend that first day at Epcot/ DHS and the second at the MK:

Day 2: Get to the Magic Kindgom for Rope Drop. Get to Space Mountain for a fastpass, then head over to Big Thunder and Splash Mountain. Make sure you see the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Carribean. I like lunch at the Columbia Harbor House (counter service). See if you can get tickets to the dessert party for the fireworks,

But take a look at touring plans. I think they're well worth the money!

9. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

May 1, 2011

Well depending on what is considered a highlight, it's definitly doable to hit all the major rides (I'm talking rides, no shows, shopping etc) in a day. I do it all of the time.

In August, I did: Kil Safari, Expedition Everest (Twice, single rider), rockin (twice, single rider), TOT, test track, soarin, livin on the land ( stopped for food at the food place there), spaceship earth, thunder and space twice.

It's really easy to do as a single rider. Like I said, it requires no shopping or shows (I have done versions where I hit the Idol show in Hollywood studios, but I only do it if it's just starting), but it's definity doable with the single rider lines.