A Tough Decision

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by LATechTeacher, Jul 12, 2006.

1. LATechTeacher

LATechTeacher Companion

Jul 12, 2006

My principal called me this afternoon and asked me if I wanted a 2nd grade position teaching Language Arts in the Morning and doing Math Remediation in the afternoon which includes some inclusion students. I was hired on to teach 3rd grade but I did not know what subjects yet. I told the principal that I would (i really want to teach language arts and I love the lower grades), but now Im kind of second guessing myself. What do you guys think? Which would be a better position for a 1st time teacher? I need your advice! :confused:

3. cmmottau

cmmottau Rookie

Jul 12, 2006

LATechTeacher,

Sometimes new teachers are the best teachers! You may not have experience but I am sure you will put lots of time, energy, and mostly love into your classroom. This along with being open to getting advice from more experienced teachers will make you exactly the right teacher for the job.

Good Luck :)
    Cathy

4. natjoejag

natjoejag Companion

Jul 12, 2006

I taught a half day my first year (language arts) and loved it. I don't think spending the other half doing math remediation would be that bad. I would probably enjoy it myself. You just need to think about your personality. Actually starting off in the classroom 1/2 day was a really good beginning.

5. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jul 12, 2006

Congratulations on becoming a teacher! :) Sounds like a very tough decision! Just had a thought of caution in making your decision...is there any chance that this Language Arts/Remedial Math position would be in danger of being phased out in the future, say if numbers change or anything? Would the third grade position be a more secure one?

Too, with the LA/Math, would you have your own classroom or would you be going into other classrooms, sharing space, or even looking for a place to meet with your groups?

Best of luck in making your decision-just be sure you have all the facts. :) This advice is because I have a tendency to jump before looking, sometimes! :eek: :D

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 12, 2006

Yes, I was wondering if you would be teaching the same students for both areas, and if it would take place in your own classroom.

7. LATechTeacher

LATechTeacher Companion

Jul 12, 2006

Thanks for mentioning that! I didnt even think about those things! I think Im going to call my principal tommorrow and ask her those questions!

8. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 13, 2006

Definitely get those questions squared away before you make your choice. The pros of this position would be you'd have a chance of experiencing the language arts you want and then exposure to something else so you'll get more experience. Also, I find one-to-one instruction (assuming that is what the remediation is...) greatly improves my own teaching skills (because I can see clearly where my words or actions confuse or help a student).

Another question I would definitely ask: Is the math remediation part of any specific program? (ask which one.) Sometimes these programs are very scripted and you are just following whatever is disctated to you.

Other than that, I think it up to what your heart says you would like. Its a tough decision for sure!