A tip about references

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ally06, Mar 24, 2012.

1. ally06

ally06 Companion

Mar 24, 2012

I had a call from a principal the other day asking me for a reference for a teacher who had worked at our school for a couple of years. Unfortunately we didn’t have a position available for her this year so she is looking for contracts elsewhere.

I am in an admin role this year but had been in the classroom when she taught at our school so unfortunately I wasn’t able to tell this principal much about her actual teaching. I was able to talk about other aspects of her work and her professionalism and teamwork etc but not the sort of details in the areas needed by the principal.

Unfortunately the teacher had not put our principal down as a referee and this was commented on as unusual by the lady ringing me. I seemed to be the only school-related person listed.

So my message is think carefully about who you list as your referees and make sure you have somebody who knows enough about your teaching to give an informed recommendation. Don’t let something like this cost you a job!

3. Emmy

Emmy Companion

Mar 24, 2012

Thanks for the info. I'm a preschool teacher looking for a full time elementary job. My references include the director of the school (she doesn't observe me but i interact with her daily so can speak of character), the preschool director (who has observed me), a former college professor (who saw me do many different lessons) and my teacher's assistant who sees me teach on a daily basis. I'm hoping those references will be good. All are school related.

4. ally06

ally06 Companion

Apr 3, 2012

It sounds like you have your bases well covered.
    Good luck in your job search!