A Thought to Begin the Year With

Discussion in 'Prayer Request Forum' started by Obadiah, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Aug 9, 2019

"When he was a young boy, Benjamin West attempted to draw a picture of his sister, but he succeeded only in making a mess. His mother saw his creation, kissed him on the head, and remarked, 'Why, it's Sally!' He would later say that it was that kiss that made him an artist--and the great American painter he would become. Encouragement is a powerful thing!"

Who knows what one of our words of encouragement might lead to!

Source: Chin, Peter. "The Power of Encouragement." Our Daily Bread Aug. 10, 2019.

3. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2019

Encouragement is a powerful thing!" That is for sure. A good thing to keep in mind during this time of year. I have a cute desk box a kid gave me years ago. In it there all types of sayings and quotes that help me. One says: God never puts you anywhere too small to grow.
    My friend and I made a deal a couple of yrs ago.
    If 1 of us starts sniveling about "our lot" lol, we say , "Pick 3." The sniveler has to pick 3 cards from the box and read them out loud. Usually, they are good attitude adjusters.

Obadiah likes this.
  4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2019

I love this!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  5. Tired Teacher

Aug 12, 2019

Mrs. C....I came from a huge city to a tiny dot on the map. For the longest time, I could not get over the amount of gossip and backbiting that tends to go on in small towns. Maybe because the dot is so small, you just hear it. :) It has really pointed out the need for me to be more forgiving among other lessons. People here can say something mean about you 1 day, but help you the other. It's all a learning/ growth experience. :)

MrsC likes this.
  6. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Aug 13, 2019

For some reason I can't get the like button to work on this page (silly computer!), but I do want to mention how much I like the idea of the desk box. Coincidentally, I'm currently reading The Christmas Town, by Donna Van Liere (to be a TV movie this December), in which a grocery store bagger inserts a handwritten positive message into each bag.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  7. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Aug 13, 2019

Oops! I pressed the post button twice.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  8. Tired Teacher

Aug 17, 2019

I am not sure if that book is based off of a real life story or not. (??) I remember seeing or reading something a long time ago about a grocery bagger who put positive messages in grocery bags. It was really thoughtful and he was maybe highlighted in some positive news section.