A+ Texas Teachers ACP

Discussion in 'General Education' started by megawinn, Apr 17, 2015.

1. megawinn

megawinn Rookie

Apr 17, 2015

Hello! I was hoping someone in Texas might be able to give me some advice. My husband graduated from Utah Valley University in 2012 with a Business Management degree. He has decided that he wants to become a math teacher. We live in the Houston area and are looking into online alternative certification programs. Unfortunately, we are kind of limited to online programs as he has an odd work schedule. We have two small children and I am a SAHM (former high school Social Studies teacher) so we really can't afford for him to leave his job to attend school.

We're mostly looking into the Texas Teachers certification program. Does anyone have any experience with this program? My husband is a hard worker and with my background in education, I will be able to help and support him. My biggest concern is that he will finish the training and be unable to find a job and we'll be left with a bill for tuition that we just can't afford. Do principals take you less seriously with an ACP? Do they prefer one over another? We've tried calling the HR departments of several school districts in the area but they don't seem to give much information other than refer us to the TEA website.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

3. ACinTexas

ACinTexas Rookie

Apr 17, 2015

If it doesn't work or if he changes his mind about teaching, you will only be out $295 bucks.

The remainder of the tuition is only ever paid back or even owed if and when he actually starts teaching that first year.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 17, 2015

If a district can be picky about their candidates, alternatively certified have a disadvantage. My district was so desperate last year, they hired anyone with a pulse. There are more openings these days than in years past so the competition may not be as cut throat. I think it's possible, especially depending on the candidate, but the best reputation schools may not bite.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Apr 17, 2015

As an AR teacher in NJ, I can virtually assure you that once you have a provisional year completed, it ceases to matter what route you took. Many states are almost identical percentages of hires from traditional vs. alternate route. It is going to come down to putting in the hours to play catch up, learn pedagogy above and beyond what the AR may provide, and being savvy in learning school routines. A strong mentor that you work well with is a huge plus, just as it is for a first year TR teacher. I don't work in Texas, but I know that if it works in NJ, it will work in a lot of other areas. I do recommend going for the ESL supplemental with a core content certification. That is very easy, and important in Texas, despite being simple to acquire.

6. HTCC

HTCC Rookie

Apr 18, 2015

I went through the regional program in Dallas, but there were two other teachers my first year doing A+. They were both happy with it. If I remember correctly they felt like they had more busy work and less mentor involvement than I did, but honestly that was probably because I had to attend some Saturday classes which is where my busy work took place. Theirs was just done online. As for mentor involvement, I saw mine 3 times for observations, and I think the others had 1 or 2. Either way, once you find a job the end result is the same. After that, schools don't care what path you took as long as you are certified.

7. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2015

My daughter is going through iteach. This is the program our district suggest and uses. Also our region does ACP so you might check with the region down in Houston.

8. ACinTexas

ACinTexas Rookie

Apr 19, 2015

Yes I agree re: the ESL Supplement. All that is required is a single test and it does help with marketability.

I also don't think it necessarily matters which AC program you choose. Nobody is asking me which program once I tell them I am AC. They are more interested in what I am about, what is my background, etc.

The only difference would be if one was using a program actually offered through a district that would then lead to a guaranteed teaching job in that district.

I am looking at a large urban district and they seem to have no problem with AC. Also, secondary math is considered a high need area in this region, so there is that to consider in the case of OP's husband.

9. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Apr 20, 2015

I agree with the folks above. I am going through a local program in North Texas and so far I have had great success.

My tidbits: Your husband probably won't end up in the most popular ISD. He may have to look in more urban or smaller districts or even charter schools. I don't mean terrible, inner city schools, but just not the super popular Suburban districts. If he goes secondary math, it'll be MUCH easier.

I've had 1 interview and I've been called about an interview 3 times now. My first interview resulted in a job offer. It's not a super shiny school, but it's somewhere where I will get great support from admin and learn to be an effective teacher.

And FWIW, I have observed 2 different teachers. BOTH of them were alternatively certified.

10. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Apr 20, 2015

I went through Texas Teachers, although it was completed face to face and not online. Did going through the program get me a job? Yes. Eventually. But I had to sub for a few years too. Did I feel prepared for teaching? No. The program has a pretty good reputation and has been used by both districts I've worked in. I think as far as ACP's go it's pretty decent.

11. mazzystar

mazzystar Rookie

May 11, 2015

I went through Texas Teachers and was able to find a job within a month. I do work in an urban school district with all the issues that follow lower-economic situations. But after your first year on the probationary, you will earn/have a standard teaching certificate that you can use all over Texas.

12. ACinTexas

ACinTexas Rookie

May 14, 2015

Update

Just as an update, I am using Texas Teachers and it ended up taking me about 3 weeks of looking to find a job. :cool:

13. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 14, 2015

Math teachers have a HUGE advantage in finding a job, especially if he can teach higher level mathematics! It won't matter much how he got his certification if he has passed the state certification test.