A teacher in France needs your help :-)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by FrenchPE, Mar 11, 2010.

1. FrenchPE

FrenchPE Rookie

Mar 11, 2010

Hi everyone,

I am a primary school teacher in France and I am teaching English in a class of 9-11 year-old children.
    I am searching for a timetable I could use in class to compare the English and the French system.
    If anyone would be smart to send me one. Of course, if you need anything in return, just ask me :)
    Thank you,

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 11, 2010

Do you mean a timetable for, say, a train or bus?

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2010

Or a class outline, listing what should be taught and in for how long?

5. FrenchPE

FrenchPE Rookie

Mar 12, 2010

Yes, I mean a class outline where we can see what subjects are taught, for how long etc.
    Thank you for the precision :)

6. tgim

tgim Habitué

Mar 12, 2010

Our day begins with a 30 minute period for morning business, like lunch count and attendance. We work in a writing mini-lesson about twice a week, and have journal writing twice a week. Once a week, they leave right away for religion class.

I teach math every morning for 50-60 minutes, depending on the day and the special class schedule.

We have Library or computer lab for 25 minutes on Monday/Wed/Friday between math and our LA block. On Tuesday they go to religion, and on Thursday they go to Music. (Both of these are longer, so math is only 50 minutes on those days.)

We are blessed with morning recess for 15 minutes on 4 days.

I have an uninterrupted 90-minute Language Arts block (reading, phonics, spelling, English) daily.

We have lunch/recess for an hour daily.

After lunch, I read aloud to them from a chapter book for about 15 minutes.

During the afternoon, we have science and social studies from 1:15-2:40, except on Wednesday when we go to art at the end of the day.

We have homework time for the final 15-20 minutes M/Tu/Th. On Fridays, we do study buddies with a 1st grade class.

I hope this helps - (Je parle Francais, mais seulement un petit peu....:eek:)

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 12, 2010

School day is from 8:30A.M. to 3:00P.M.
    Math 90 mins
    Language Arts 120 mins
    science 30 mins
    social studies 30 mins
    specials 40 mins
    Lunch 20 mins
    recess 20 mins
    free choice 30 mins
    snack 10

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 13, 2010

I teach 6th grade (11 and 12 yr. olds). Technically this is considered part of the junior high wing. We rotate classes every 40 minutes for science, social studies, English (writing and grammar), reading/literature, religion (it is a Catholic school), and math. The students also get two 40 minute music and PE classes each week, and one 40 minute class each week of the following classes: computers and library.

9. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 13, 2010

90 minutes - Language Arts
    25 minutes - Recess
    60 minutes - Math
    30 minutes - You & Your World (This is a curriculum that combines Social Studies, Science, Health and Personal Development)
    25 minutes - Lunch in the classroom
    25 minutes - Recess
    30 minutes - Language Arts
    30 minutes - Physical Education/Music

That's an average day... each day has a slighly different schedule... for instance Wednesdays we will have Art... I also have a French culture component that I slide into Language Arts or You and Your World... I also teach an extra Phys Ed class myself on Fridays.

10. FrenchPE

FrenchPE Rookie

Mar 14, 2010

Thanks a lot to everyone who answered me ! That will help me to teach my pupils about your school system. :)

11. ginac

ginac Rookie

Mar 15, 2010

FrenchPE

I would love to know your time table. Thanks!

12. tgim

tgim Habitué

Mar 15, 2010

Yes - that would be interesting to OUR students!

13. FrenchPE

FrenchPE Rookie

Mar 18, 2010

On Monday (because I only teach on Monday since this is my first year as a teacher ...)
    The school day is from 9 am to 5pm with a two-hour break from 12 to 2pm.
    We generally begin the day with mental arithmetic (15 minutes)
    Then, I use to do some spelling and orthography (15 minutes).
    Before the break at 10:30 am, we have French lessons and after the break, mathematics.

On the afternoon, half of the class goes to computer Lab with another adult while the other half stays with me for English lessons.
    The break is at 3:30pm and after that, we have Geography lessons.

In France, the morning is usually devoted to French and Mathematics while on the afternoon, pupils have physical education, geography, history, art, music, science, English or German.

I hope it helps :) If it doesn't, you can ask me questions to have more details or anything else !

Tgim, tu parles Français un petit peu et tu l'écris bien ;-)

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 18, 2010

Thank you, FrenchPE! Ages 9 to 11 would be grades 4 to 5 or 6 in most places in the US, I think. Your students have a longer day than ours - but they also have a MUCH longer lunch break. Do most students go home for lunch? What about teachers?

15. FrenchPE

FrenchPE Rookie

Mar 18, 2010

Yes, that's right. Pupils have 6 hours of class per day. The hours are sometines different, it depends on the schools (whether you are in a city or in a small village)
    During the two hour break, pupils usually go back home but some of them (not so many) eat in the canteen that is outside the school.

Teachers usually stay at school but if they live not far from school, they go back home.

In some schools, during the midday break, there are remedial courses (personal help for mathematics or literacy) with the teachers of the school. I don't know if you have the same kind of things .... ?

How many pupils are there in your class ?

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 18, 2010

The number of pupils per class varies fairly widely: typically, the state sets a maximum number that depends on the grade, and then local jurisdictions that have the money can set lower numbers.

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 21, 2010

4th grade students are 9's and 10's, 5th grade students are 10's and 11's, 6th graders are typically 11's and 12's.

As to the 2 hour lungh, this is the siesta and nap time we all wish we had.

18. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 21, 2010

It depends where you are. Each state sets it's own maximum student:teacher ratio (around here I think that is about 32, but I could be wrong.) Many districts like to try to keep the numbers below that, but with the tight economy some districts are laying off teachers and increasing class sizes. In my school, the maximum student:teacher ratio is 30:1, but because of enrollment numbers a single grade level may have as many as 28 students in a single class or two sections of 16 students each. Our seventh grade class is the largest with two sections of 24 each. Our smallest class has 23 students in a singles section. I teach at a parochial school with tuition. That is why our numbers are lower.