A Take on Writer's Notebooks?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by linzteach, Jul 10, 2005.

1. linzteach

linzteach Rookie

Jul 10, 2005

Hello everyone! I am starting to prepare various things for the upcoming school year and have decided that I would like to create some type of "Writer's Notebook" for each of my students. Except that I will be doing it in a pocket folder. I would like to include in this folder various tips on writing and other things that would be helpful to the students. The only problem is that I seem to be having a brain freeze on what to include.....any suggestions and/or copies of things that you think might be helpful to use in the writing process would be much appreciated! Thanks!

3. linzteach

linzteach Rookie

Jul 10, 2005

I forgot to mention that I will be teaching a fourth/fifth grade split! Thanks!

4. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2005

You should read the book scaffoding young writers. It talks about having a writing notebook. I have one but its for first grade. You could maybe put on yours : a revise/edit checksheet, topic list, high frequency word list, adjectives, books that spark an idea (where the kid reads a book and makes a connection to the story-they write it down and later can make a story about it. Those are the only ideas I might have. They may not be what youre looking for since I am a first grade teacher.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 11, 2005

I just got some great checklists from www.busyteacher'scafe.com
    Writer's Checklist
    Parts of Speech
    Five W's Organizer
    Writing Rubric
    How to Write a Paragraph
    Revise and Edit
    Transition Words
    Punctuation

All of these are a nice size for putting in notebook - 1/2 page or smaller.

6. Loneil115

Loneil115 Rookie

Jul 11, 2005

I have a great little writers handbook that we gave our fourth graders during my student teaching. I am going to incorporate part of it for my classroom this fall. It has strong verbs, alternative more descriptive words, common misspelled words, etc. Let me know if you would like me to scan it and send you a copy.

7. Beth T

Beth T Rookie

Jul 11, 2005

Writer's notebook

I would like to have a copy of your handbook, if you don't mind. I'll be teaching 4th this year after 20 years in second and could use all the help I can get. Thanks much! Beth T. :)

8. Loneil115

Loneil115 Rookie

Jul 11, 2005

I will get it scanned and try to figure how to attach it this afternoon. Look for it by over evening. Not a problem, sharing is the way to go!

9. Beth T

Beth T Rookie

Jul 11, 2005

Thank you!

10. linzteach

linzteach Rookie

Jul 11, 2005

Hi Loneil115! I would LOVE a copy of your handbook. Thanks for the offer. I really appreciate it! Thanks!

Lindsay

11. Loneil115

Loneil115 Rookie

Jul 11, 2005

I cant figure out how to attach it. If you would like a copy send me your email and I will send it that way. Lindsay, I have yours and will send it shortly.

Lara

12. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 11, 2005

What about providing alternate words for those "Overly used words or boring" such as then, said, hot, cold, etc. You could even do it as a class. Last year I tried something similar. I drew a line and on one side I wrote hot and the other I wrote cold. Then the kids thought of words to add that would fit in between. They also thought of where to put them. They learned a lot fromt his activity and then they kept it in their writers notebooks to pull out when they couldn't think of a word. You could do this often with various words.

13. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2005

Oh I saw this too cute writing activity where they buried the word. They made little tombstones and they wrote words on it like "said" "good" etc...and the kids had to find alternate words for those. Some people might not like it b/c of death etc. but it was done the right way and was cute. Trust me I teach in a VERY christian community and they loved it.