A syllabus in a sped resource room?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by newtothis2006, Jul 29, 2007.

1. newtothis2006

newtothis2006 Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

This will be first year teaching at the start of the school year. (Last year I began teaching at the last half of the year) So, this is all new to me. I know a lot of teachers have a syllabus but what about special ed teachers? Is it even possible? Because a syllabus is like an outline of what the students will be learning, right? I don't know that sped teachers can know before school starts what students will be learning for the year. IEP's goals change, get updated and all students greatly range in their instructional levels. Am I thinking correctly about this? If a syllabus or something similar can be made please let me know. And if anyone has an examples that would be great. Thanks.

3. I Luv Sped

I Luv Sped New Member

Jul 29, 2007

Syllabus

newtothis2006,
    I use a course objective, I teach resource math,

Course Objective: To help students improve and excel in Mathematics as they work to master the concepts and skills outlined in their Individualized Education Plan (IEP).

4. bridge

bridge Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

I taught 6th grade sp.ed. resource classes and never had a syllabus. However after a week or so of having my students I sent home a letter telling the parents/guardians of things we would be doing in my room, the rules and consequences, and how happy I was to have their child in my room, and what a great year I knew we'd be having..................
    I usually sent home another letter in January. A teacher-friend of mine sends home a newsletter each month- I could never get organized enough to do it that often!!

5. wvsasha

wvsasha Companion

Aug 5, 2007

I've taught high school science and algebra in the resource setting. I created a syllabus for each class based on the state standards that I am required to teach along with classroom expectations, resources I use, contact information and behavior consequences. The resource classroom is "special" based on the methodology I used to teach the content. That doesn't go into a syllabus.

6. SpecialTeacher

SpecialTeacher Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

We have "pacing charts" at my school with what SEACO standards we need to be covering each week (ex. for first week of school: for ELA- alphabet standards 1.1- 1.6. Math- Numbers 1-30 standards 1.1-1.10). I hadn't really heard of this before. Is this the wave of the future or the brainchild of a micro-managing district?

7. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Aug 5, 2007

I think it's ridiculous having pacing charts for SEACO curriculum. If a child's IEP says to use SEACO, it means a child is severely handicapped, so you can't expect him/her to learn one standard per day. Some of these kids will be learning Math standard 1.1 until they're 22!
    People that created pacing charts for severely disabled students are definetly not working in school classrooms and are so far away from reality.
    Some schools also require you to teach Open Court in elementary in your special ed classroom! They don't care that a child is not ready for it. You have to teach it, and that's that.

8. Momm23

Momm23 Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

syllabus

This year I also have to have a syllabus and a pacing guide. My syllabus is my rules, grading policy, expectations. This will go home the first day to the parents.
    However this is my first year teaching high school Transitional English and Occupational English. I need a pacing guide. I will be teaching these classes together. HELP!!

9. newtothis2006

newtothis2006 Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

What is a pacing guide? I am working on my syllabus right now. I am including my policies, classroom expectations, and using the idea from the other poster, an educational objective. I wish I knew how to include an educational outline but at this point, I don't know what I will be teaching. Which brings me to a question about teaching in a resource setting. Do most teachers teach concepts/skills on grade level and work backwards if needed to embed the IEP goals in the grade level material or do you start at the IEP level and (2 or 3 years behind) work forwards. With changes to testing requirements, I would like to use the first method.

Please share your thoughts, and post your sped syllabus if available.

Thanks!

10. Momm23

Momm23 Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

Syllabus

I always start with the standard course of study for the subject I am teaching. Of course with my students I work backwards, modifying the material as needed for the students to understand the concept. I always try to spend some time reviewing, and remediating because the students are not on grade level.
    I am unable to include my syllabus.. but..
    It included my materials: 1 1/2 inch 3 ring binder, paper, page dividers
    Grading policy: Tests/quizzes 30%, Projects 30%, Daily class assignments 30%, and Homework 10%.
    Make-up work-- there will be a Work Notebook on my desk with daily assignments in it for them to get and complete.
    Code of conduct-- 1. show respect, 2. Be in seat at bell, 3. Don't interrupt when others are talking, 4. No fighting, swearing or teasing
    Consequences- warning, 1 minute discussion after class, phone home, office referral
    And it ended with a note to the parents to read this with their child and then both sign and return this part to me for a quick and easy 100 in my class.
    Hope this helps.