A suitable replacement must be found

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tchr4evr, Jul 23, 2014.

1. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Jul 23, 2014

So, I posted a few weeks ago that I had found a new job. Well, because I was on vacation, I didn't get to submit my resignation until after I returned. I missed our deadline by two days. So, now, my superintendent has agreed to release me when a "suitable replacement" has been found.

Now, my new job will hold my position for me, thank goodness, but my old district could conceivably drag their feet until August and make me stay! And I wish I knew what a suitable replacement meant.

I am so angry I could spit! Now, I can't do anything but hover. I can't sign my new contract, I can't move on, I can't do any of that!

Do I have any recourse? I don't want to risk my teaching license.:mad:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2014

What does your contract say?

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 23, 2014

This seems pretty standard to me. Don't let your anger fester, it sounds as though the mistake was yours, not the district's.

Do you teach a hard to fill course?

5. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Jul 23, 2014

Hopefully you are in a part of VA with plenty of teachers, good luck!

6. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2014

I'm sorry you missed your deadline for resignation. I think the superintendent is being generous with you by saying that you will be released when a suitable replacement is found. He or she could have said no because you missed the deadline. Could they drag their feet? Yes. Will they? Probably not. Do you have recourse? Not really. You were the one who missed the deadline.

I hope it works out to your favor.

7. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jul 23, 2014

The OP is fortunate too that his/her new district will hold the position for him/her without signing the contract.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2014

OP...hopefully your district will find someone quickly. This is good news for someone out there looking for a job!

This is also a good caveat for others out there who haven't let their current districts know yet about new job offers. :2cents:

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2014

Just for reference for people in the same situation...don't be afraid to mail your resignation if you are out of town.

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 23, 2014

I feel bad for your situation, and I hope all works out well, but I don't see anything there that makes me think you should be angry. I hope your anger is just a general anger and not directed towards your current district, because honestly, it sounds like both your current and future district are being remarkably fair to you.

11. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Jul 23, 2014

Nowhere in the contract or handbook is there a date

I do understand that I made a mistake, but however, nowhere in our handbook or my contract is there any date. So, their deadline date is arbitrary. BUt, however, I will bide my time. I do however think that my district will drag their feet, as that is the way they are. I do have an easy to fill subject - English - but in the past year we've had several teachers leave and we couldn't fill their positions, both in areas to easy to fill and hard to fill. In our area, our district is one of the worst to work in.

I will just bide my time and hope for the best!

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 23, 2014

If there is no listed deadline in your contract, then you have a bunch of legal wiggle room. I've heard of requested deadlines, but more as a courtesy than necessity.

13. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 23, 2014

Our state has a date (July 15) for cut-off of resignations. My district will almost always let people leave after that and not hold their license, because they figure if you don't want to be there, they will be better off replacing you.

If there is no date in your handbook, check state law.

14. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 23, 2014

Are you in a union? Your union rep would probably be able to clarify. If no deadline is listed in your own contract, or the district general contract with the teacher's group, then this deadline seems arbitrary and non-enforcable. In CA, our state's Ed Code has a lot of language about a variety of deadlines, is it possible there is something like that pertaining to resignations?

15. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 23, 2014

In Virginia, resignations have to be done by June 15. After that, the district superintendent or school board have to approve the resignation.

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2014

Where I live, you just have to give 2 weeks notice when you want to leave. Doesn't matter what time of year.

17. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2014

18. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 23, 2014

About to post the same info, a2z. Hopefully the school finds a replacement.

19. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jul 23, 2014

We had to return our contracts by April 30. I was at a school 60 miles away and I wanted to be closer to home. By the date I didn't have job so turned it in. By the middle of May I was interviewed and got a job 5 miles from my home. I had been told that schools will usually let you go even though legally they don't have to. Turns out my school dinked around until the first of August and said they couldn't find anyone so I lost out. About a month into the school year the super (small district) told me he would let me out of my contract but the job was gone. There were other things that year but Long story short, the next spring came around and even though I didn't have another job I waited until the last moment to return my unsigned contract. I just couldn't work for someone like that. Turns out I found my current job the following month and this is the place for me. I found out that My principal from this first schoolgave me glowing recommendations and had told prospective schools what had happened!

20. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 23, 2014

You are very lucky, OP! Go buy a lotto ticket!