A subs point of view

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by rainyday, Mar 11, 2008.

1. rainyday

rainyday Rookie

Mar 11, 2008

I teach grade 2. I have just had 2 days off and the reports about the behaviour of the class were not very good. The kids I would expect to give a new teacher a hard time did. And even some that I would expect to behave were disruptive.

I take this personally as a reflection on me.

What are your thoughts?

3. shirld

shirld Rookie

Mar 12, 2008

Kids always try to take advantage of someone who isn't their normal teacher and do things that they wouldn't normally do because they know that you wouldn't let them get away with it, but the sub teacher may not necessarily know all of the rules of the class.

I wouldn't take it too personally.

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 12, 2008

Are you saying you take the subs comments personally or the student's behavior personally?

Either way don't take it personal! Subs are instructed to tell teachers about behavior issues. Many don't because they are afraid they won't get asked back.

Is this a sub you had before? If not maybe she didn't set the tone right from the beginning of class and the kids ran over her. I have subbed for very few classes where the kids didn't try to test me. It is normal kid behavior so subs need to set the tone immediately.

Next time, tell your kiddos that if you get a good report you will reward them in some small way.

It says a lot that you care but I definitely would not take it personal unless of course she said "your kids are a complete mess and you must not have any control over them." OMG can you imagine??

5. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Mar 12, 2008

I'm a sub and if I were you, I wouldn't take it too personally either.

The only time I have ever thought, "wow, that teacher really must not have a handle on her class," is when the ENTIRE class is acting like a bunch of fools. It sounds to me like a few of your students were just taking advantage of having a sub, which happens quite a lot. What makes us happy as subs is if we know when the regular teacher comes back to the class, he/she is going to take care of the students whose name we put down as behaving badly. Otherwise, the next time we're there, it's going to be just as bad because the students know their regular teacher won't care.

And to make you feel better, the sub probably left your class wondering what SHE did wrong as a sub! I know I've done that a few times. :)

6. shirld

shirld Rookie

Mar 13, 2008

I'm saying both...

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 13, 2008

Definitely don't take the sub's comments personal. I'm sure he/ she was just informing you and getting it down on paper might not have worked as well as the sub planned.

As far as the kiddos, I still wouldn't take it personal. They made the choice to act up. They know what you expect of them. In every class there are kids that test a sub.

The fact that you care says a lot about you.

8. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Mar 13, 2008

Things I have learnt as a teacher:

Do not take anything personally!!!

Why?

Because the students have reasons sometimes valid why they would display a certain behavior.

Solution?
    Try a different approach. Cause when you don't take it personally it will not hamper your lessons and will help you to deal with behaviral problems better.