A sub question for the teachers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by kilikena0310, Aug 23, 2009.

1. kilikena0310

kilikena0310 Companion

Aug 23, 2009

Since I was not able to get a job this summer, I am going to be a K-5 substitute teacher this school year. I've attended orientation, read a couple books on subbing and classroom management, and now I'm just waiting for school to start and the calls to come in.

In the meantime, I have a question for the teachers out there. What did (or can) a sub do to make your life a million times easier? Was there something they left in their note that you found particularly helpful? Or a little something extra they did that you truly appreciate?

I need to turn daily subbing into a LTS position so that I will hopefully get my classroom next year, therefore I need to be a great sub! Any help or advice will be fantastic!

3. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Aug 23, 2009

leave a note about how your day was. Nothing aggravates me more than coming back to no note. I have no idea what really got done, and follow my plans. I took the time to make them and leave you plenty of extra work. I need the kids to do what I left for them to do.

Good Luck!!! :) :)

4. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Aug 23, 2009

Let me know how the day really went. Tell me if the class cooperated and who took advantage. Use my lesson plans and let me know what you covered and
    did the class understand the material.
    If something unusual happened let me know so I can be prepared. Don't let me find out from my principal that my class misbehaved and got in major trouble in the lunchroom.

5. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 23, 2009

Follow the instructions left by the teacher, including discipline. The worst thing is coming back to find out that very specific things were not followed. I have extremely strict classroom management in my room and my class is usually very well behaved but if the sub doesn't do what I specifically told them to, the kids go nuts. Keep to the discipline plan for the class.

Leave a detailed note. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

6. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Aug 23, 2009

yeah...leave a note..be honest! And follow the plans left! I left REALLY detailed plans for my one K class. I wanted them to stay with the other classes so instead of leaving something else, I left the plans for the new project. Apparently she thought it was too difficult for K's to trace a circle and cut it out. Along with another circle to cut and glue down. doh! Luckily we went to Aesop program and I'll be able to say hey..I don't want this person as a sub!

Don't be afraid to say yes to specials! :D It's not as scary as it seems....and not that you would EVER do this, lol, but I came back to find sunflower seeds and shells all over my paper cutter and counter. ick!

7. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 23, 2009

Just for fun, can we tell you what you shouldn't do...

* don't give out all of my candy
    * don't eat/drink anything from my minifrige
    * don't stick popsicles in my freezer ( they melted a rainbow of gooooo)
    * don't disregard my lesson plans
    * don't call Jose a jackass even if you think he is one.

8. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 23, 2009

Everyone has said it before, but yes, the plans are a big deal. If I know I am going to be out, I put a lot of time and effort into making sure things are ready. Also, don't move stuff around or let the kids leave the room a mess. I HATE when I come in to find things moved or messy. I mean, I would NEVER leave someone else's place with stuff on the floor/seriously out of place. I don't know how the people who do that don't feel guilty!

9. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Aug 23, 2009

I've been a teacher (resigned due to personal reasons) and now that I'm ready to teach again it's been h*** getting a job. So I always leave a note on paper that says on the top "A Note From The Sub" I use these all the time. It tells the date, who's absent, problems, what we did, comments and always my name, phone numbers, and email. Some teachers at one district that I no longer sub for wrote complaints from the students and I really didn't appreciate that and the teacher didn't call me to hear what I have to say about what these students made up about me. I really appreciate teachers that email me or call me and just say thank you : +) . I always go above and beyond what is called to do. I also keep with me dry erase markers, koosh ball, DVD movie (rainy days), books (for read alouds), and any worksheets for that month or the following month to share with the teachers. I never touch anything in the classroom (refrig, etc) I never give my students any disrespect and I show respect to them. If they are nasty to me then the don't give respect to go to the bathroom, they can just wait. I keep track of those students that are helpful. If you need any other advice, just let me know.

10. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 23, 2009

Definitely leave a note and don't move things around in the classroom. I had a sub who collected my students' lunch money (I never do that...they are responsible for their own money). She put all of this money in my desk drawer and left no note that it was there. I never use my desk or the drawer!! Couple of weeks later I open the drawer and here is all of this money in there! I have no idea what the kids thought when they had to go to lunch without their money!!

11. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 23, 2009

I'm glad there are subs out there like you, vsimpkins! :)

12. Windy City

Windy City Companion

Aug 23, 2009

I second this. I always seem to get notes that say "The class was great!" and then find out from my TA that they were holy terrors. I think that maybe certain subs do that so that they don't seem incompetent and want to be asked back. I don't know.

Ditto on follow my plans. Also, let me know if I didn't inform you about something that you needed to know about. For example, maybe I forgot to mention that a volunteer was arriving or a procedure wasn't outlined. I keep a general information file for subs, and if I am not explaining something, I want to know so that it can be included. Teachers want to make subs lives easier, too! :)

This is kind of nitpicky, but I don't like subs going on the computers. Our teachers have laptops so there is nothing on my desk, but I checked the history on the student computers one time after a sub left and found that they were visiting personal e-mail and gossip sites. My planning time is still work time, so I expect subs to work whether they go to the library to help shelve books or help the office make copies. This is especially prudent on days when I have 1.5 hours of plan time. It's not free time! I will also leave extra work that may need to be done. I obviously have very strong opinions on work ethic, and I knock subs off my list if I find they are not using time at school to work.

13. kilikena0310

kilikena0310 Companion

Aug 23, 2009

Wow! It seems like some of you have had some very interesting experiences with subs! Thank you for all your advice!

Samothrace - I'll be honest, I'm quite hesitant to accept any specials sub positions. I have no musical or art talent! I have no idea how I could teach a class.

Another general question for everyone: if the worksheets/quizzes/whatever have an answer key, would you feel uncomfortable if the sub graded the work? Would you rather the sub leave that for you?

14. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 23, 2009

I would appreciate it, I always leave a note that if they are "bored" they can correct blah blah blah for me. If they have time great, if not its no biggie.

15. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Aug 23, 2009

As long as it's not a test, go ahead and grade it for me. Just put the number wrong (and I usually know who my sub is and they know my system) and not the %. Sometimes I only take off half a point for this or that and not a whole one. Use the time wisely :)
    You get lots of calls and teachers will want you to come to their room.

I'm in a pickle as far as this goes, our 2 best subs (1 got hired full time as an assistant in 3rd) are no longer subbing for us :'( I don't know who will be coming in...I'm trying to stay as healthy as possible :)

16. ksolberg1

ksolberg1 New Member

Aug 23, 2009

I totally agree that a note is terrific, one thing I appreciated was when the sub added his or her phone or email address stating I could contact them with any ?'s and this also gave me the resource to contact them again for subbing in my room.

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2009

- Follow the plans I have left. If there are things you didn't get to or that you were unable to do (for some reason) let me know what and why.
    - Don't second-guess instructions I have left. If I say that John and David can't sit together, don't let them.
    - Don't let the students talk you into changing my plans. When I say, "The students will not be going to the computer lab today", please don't let them convince you that I really meant they should go.
    - Please, please, please treat my students with respect; they will respond in kind.
    - Enjoy your day!!!

18. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 23, 2009

I have to agree. . .follow the lesson plans. Several years ago my grandmother died. I left plans for the week. The sub moved the plans to the floor & then went on the shelves behind my desk & pulled out the work I had planned to do when I came back. Grr. . .I leave everything out in plain sight, trying to make it as simple as possible.

19. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 23, 2009

I would like it if subs would follow my lesson plans and have the kids clean up. My biggest fear is coming back to my room being destroyed.

20. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Aug 23, 2009

I'm so glad you said that. I sub for a lot of teachers and I have heard a lot of frightening stories of what subs do. I heard that they pass out all the worksheets and expect students to complete by the end of the day. I follow the lesson plans as close to the time schedule, but a lot of times I continue after recess or lunch or sometimes I just adjust a little, but overall I follow the plans. I enjoy to get into class discussions on whatever the subject is or add a extra credit problem for the students that like challenges. I hope and pray to have my own class soon again. I've learned so much from subbing in all grades and special education classes.

21. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 24, 2009

I would say, follow the plan and class rules as closely as possible. I spend hours getting stuff ready for a sub, not knowing if the sub is my principal or someone from the local college. AND CHECK OFF WHAT YOU GET DONE! It is ok to not cover everything, but let me know what you did cover so I know where I am.

I always allow for a sub to use his/her particular skills to enrich the learning and lay aside my plans. But I want to know.

I also want to know who/what/where went wrong or right. Who did an exceptional job of helpfulness.

22. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 24, 2009

I agree with the note thing (and being honest!).

I also like when subs do little things that make my life easier. For example, this one sub would always set up my lunch count at the end of the day, which was one less thing I had to do in the morning. She would also clean my boards, which was nice because the cleaning staff didn't always do it.

Another thing I like is when subs leave out the chart paper that they used for lessons. For example, if the lesson called for making a list of some sort, or comparing two books, she would leave the chart paper on the stand so I could see exactly what they did.

23. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2009

Clean up after you are done...
    boards
    sinks
    desk top
    papers clipped together
    sharpen pencils

24. kilikena0310

kilikena0310 Companion

Aug 24, 2009

Wow everyone. When I said I was hoping I would get a long-term sub position, I wasn't expecting to get a call today! I am now officially a LTS for a 4/5 split grade!

Soooooo... any tips on getting the most out of this position and making things easier for the classroom teacher?

25. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2009

No tips, but congratulations!!

26. tgim

tgim Habitué

Aug 24, 2009

Congrats, KK! If school has started, stick w/ the systems the teacher has in place. If not, meet with him/her to see how things are done and if you have free rein or not.

As for subs, I too leave extremely detailed plans and often return to a note stating the "everything went fine - great group," which is nice, but not sufficient. If you spent 6.5 hours in my room w/ my kids, please PLEASE take longer than 6.5 seconds to fill me in on the day. Even checking off what was done, circling what you didn't get to helps. Tell me who was absent, what work (if any) went home for that student, and notify me of any problem areas or issues. Tell me who didn't have his/her homework and if my protocol was followed. Tell me if someone left early for an appt. Checking over papers is great (not grading, just number wrong or correct at top)! Clipping them together w/ a sticky note identifying any missing work is also a big help.

My P will ask how things were left and I want to tell him that it all got done and that things were organized for me when I returned.

Off my soap-box now...have a blast w/ your 4/5 split!!

27. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2009

That's great! Congratulations!