A student who constantly brags

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by minnie, Jan 12, 2017.

1. minnie

minnie Cohort

Jan 12, 2017

I teach kindergarten and I have a students in my class who is the oldest, most athletic and smartest. And he knows it. He brags all the time but not about being smarter or bigger. He just brags constantly to having lots of money, going to cool places ALL the time (which isn't all true because I know his parents) and to be honest, its so annoying. I don't know how to tell him to stop bragging all the time especially because he is in kindergarten. He'll say things like "I went to Rush Air Sports 50 times this weekend!" or "I got $90 from my mom. She gives me money all the time." By the way, he's very focused on money. He is always talking about how much he has and asks me all the time how much the computers cost.

Anywho, what is an appropriate way to tell him "Stop the bragging!"

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 12, 2017

Is it bothering his classmates? If not, I'd just let it be, and laugh to myself every time he tells a new "story". Most kids probably see through some of these things anyway.

MissScrimmage likes this.
  4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 12, 2017

I might also ask him, "Did you really go to Rush Air Sports 50 times? Or is that what you wanted to do?" He may not realize he's exaggerating.

One year the stories in my grade 1 class were so extreme I put parameters around what they could share during show and tell:
    1. The events in the story had to be safe (i.e. Can't tell the class you did a ramp jump over your house on a quad).
    2. The events in the story had to be true (i.e. Can't tell the class you did a ramp jump over your house on a quad).
    3. If your story is unsafe, I will be calling your parents to tell them that you are not safe with your (bicycle, quad, GT, you name it) and you shouldn't be allowed to drive one.

That put an end to the stories pretty quickly!

ChildWhisperer and Backroads like this.
  5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 12, 2017

This is a good idea.

Also, you might try a noncommital response, like "hmmm" or "I see" and then changing the subject. Basically, not giving him attention for his stories when they are obviously not true, since exaggerating could be an attempt to get more attention: "50 times? No way!"

Then, when he's telling an honest story, ask a quality question to provide reinforcement. "What was your favorite part about your trip?"

6. minnie

minnie Cohort

Jan 12, 2017

Great ideas! Thank you! He really is a sweet boy but it's just getting on my nerves. He also tries to "one up" everyone. So if someone got a cool toy or went somewhere, he'll say "I got 10 of those" or "I go there all the time."

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 9, 2017

Oh cool! We need 9 more of those in my classroom...I'll go call your Mom right away and have her bring them in!

j/k

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 10, 2017

LOLOL I wonder what he'd say to that!!!

9. minnie

minnie Cohort

Feb 10, 2017

Hahaha! Rainstorm, I am totally going to say that next time.

On Monday, though, I always ask my class what they did over the weekend. I asked my bragger and he said "I went to Pump It Up." It's a bounce house place that's been closed for about a year. So I said "really? That place closed down." And he said "oh...yeah" with a sheepish smile. Then I said, "what did you REALLY do?" And he started telling me about the super bowl party his family had. :)
    I wasn't trying to be mean or anything. I mean, they're kindergarteners. They say stuff that's not true quite a bit. But this little guy is over the top sometimes and then brags about it to his classmates. Lol.

10. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Feb 11, 2017

So annoying!

11. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Feb 11, 2017

Sounds like he's looking for attention or longing for a life he can't have. Although he's in kindergarten, children tend to realize the state of their lives early on.

12. Jerry Dill

Jerry Dill Companion

Feb 19, 2017

He's just in kindergarten, so who's to say how he'll act when he gets a little older? It doesn't sound like a serious issue to me in such a young child, so I would just let it slide. He's not fighting or actively lying or destroying property or stealing, so can't he have his little fantasies?