A student text messaged me..

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by sanctifiedsub, Apr 19, 2008.

1. sanctifiedsub

sanctifiedsub New Member

Apr 19, 2008

I just finished a long term subbing assignment, and had something kind of disturbing happen. A student on my last day got a hold of my cell phone and text messaged themself and thereby got my number. Then they sent me a "we'll miss you" message. I thought it was kind of nice, so I responded with "thanks" and now it hit me that I willingly text messaged a student. I have no idea what the policies or laws are on that since they give subs zero training. What would you guys do if you were in my position??! Should I go to the admin of the school and tell them about it, or should I just not worry about it? I'm terrified.

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Apr 19, 2008

How did the student get your cell phone number? That would be my bigger concern.

At my school, my principal *encourages* us to text our students to communicate with them if they are absent or if they need help. I've had several students send me messages on holidays, during the summer, when they are out, etc. saying the same type of things that your student said. No big deal to my admin.

However, every community and school is different. If you're worried about it, it certainly wouldn't hurt for you to tell the A.P. (or whoever is in charge of subs) about it. Again, my question, as your admin, would be how did the kid get the number. Either way, I wouldn't be terrified.

Text messages are able to be retrieved by law enforcement from cell phone companies regardless of whether or not they are still on your (or the other person's) phone. If a kid accused you of sending them inappropriate messages, it would be possible for you to prove otherwise.

4. sanctifiedsub

sanctifiedsub New Member

Apr 19, 2008

It was my fault out of negligence that the student got my number. I had left my cell phone lying on my desk, and the student snatched it and texted themselves (not sure which student it was as there was a group of them huddled around the phone). By the time I was able to break up the group and get my phone back, they had already gotten my number. I should never have left my phone out.

Your message was pretty reassuring. I don't even think I'll go to an admin because knowing her, she'd probably just give a little laugh and respond with, "yeah, you probably should ignore any future text messages they send you". That's what I intend to do too. If gets too out of hand or they pass around my number, I'll just change my number. I'm also terrified I'm going to start getting prank calls and more unsolicited texts since I sub at this school frequently.

5. mikaelab

mikaelab Rookie

Apr 19, 2008

I would say that it is never appropriate for students to contact teachers via cell phone (the teacher's, that is). There is too much risk involved. Email is better, and even then this should be kept very professional.

I would definitely talk with the admin because the student should not have taken your phone. The student should have know that doing so was not ok. No, you shouldn't have probably left your phone out, but if you accidentally left $20 on the desk it wouldn't be ok for a student to take that either. It would probably be just a safety precaution to tell the admin. Cover yourself.

6. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Apr 20, 2008

I did a long term last year, it was a computer class called A+ (remedial help for ISTEP), a couple students from this class found me on myspace and messaged me the last week of school. I messaged them back, but I was careful with what I said to them. After the second week of summer I didn't hear any more from them, so the same may be true for you. Some students get attatched to us, and bc we are subs they may fear they won't see us again, so I think in a way they may be looking for a way to remain in contact. I wouldn't worry to much about it. It won't be long before your number is forgotten!

7. Mrs. R

Mrs. R Rookie

Apr 23, 2008

I would definatly document the situation. What day and time they got your phone, what students were near the table and when you responded and why. Keep your documentation just in case something comes up. Texting students is a no no in my district. Take precautions just in case.

8. MrU82

MrU82 Rookie

May 1, 2008

I would just ignore it.

9. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

May 1, 2008

If you never respond again, any repeated texting will probably stop. They'll get bored and move on to someone else, so I probably wouldn't worry too much about it becoming a habit.

10. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 28, 2008

Not to sound rude but no student can get ahold of your cell phone if it is put up. When I sub I never have my phone out unless the class is @ PE. , art or elsewhere. Then I use it to check messages or call someone back quickly. If a teacher or principal walks by I quickly say I got go and hang it up. In the area I sub you have to follow the same rules that certified staff go have to follow.