A student is causing emotional distress to other students

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Giggles1100, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Dec 5, 2008

OK FIRST LET ME SAY THIS IS PURELY HYPOTHECTICAL.... I am no tlooking on answers on how to help this child just posting an idea to see if it can be done.

We have student with RHetts and is degenerating fast and will soon be tube fed and in a wheel chair and she came to us 3 years ago, screaming and beating herself up and she does this about 6 hours out of the 8 hour day most days, she does have some good days. We keep her separated from others when she has exceptionally bad days. The other kids in our dept hate it and on a weekly sometimes daily basis she upsets the autistic kids and others and they complain about her etc. We have 3 classroom but you can hear her through our walls and halfway across the school. It got so bad last year that an autistic boy I graduated shut down 2 years before when she got here and could not work, but on days she was absent he was fine so we would keep her from him each day so I could get at least an hour of work out of him before he heard her screaming. DId I take data on this to prove it? No...COuld I really have linked this shut down to her? Maybe. BUt he has graduated and it is getting worse now. we have had 2 parents request that she not be on their child's bus home because it upsets their kids and they have ahard time after they get home, buses were changed but nothing was done to inform admin, last year when it happened.

SO here is my question, just hypothetical if it were even a possiblity. We have been told she has the right to come to school, we are OK with that but we want to see if they could transfer her to the Learning Center where they are more quipped to handle students like this and we were told no, she was staying, by our Diag. No reason was given. Could we claim that she is causing emotional distress to 1 or more of our students and have some way to have a meeting to have her moved. She does disrupt our lessons sometimes, but then so do other kids sometimes. And if we could do this, what would we need to do to present something like this. Like I said we have worked with her for 3 years and have had numerous OT,PT, Consulting teachers etc come in to help us.

TIA
    Heather

3. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Dec 5, 2008

How about telling them that despite your best efforts, SHE is unable to make progress. I've found that parents and administrators are much more responsive to a request for change when it's about the individual child. I'd imagine the "Learning Center" is a placement which costs more money, so you have to really prove yourself to get that placement. A small example of relating it back to the individual child: One of my kids continuously scratches staff members. We asked the mother to PLEASE cut his nails. She wouldn't do it, saying it caused too many behaviors at home. Well, as soon as I wrote home and said that I was concerned about him hurting HIMSELF because of the length of his nails, he come in with clipped nails. When it's about the kid, they usually listen.

Has she been able to make progress with the way she's been behaving? I would imagine that HER behaviors are preventing HER from learning. Am I right? Would the learning center environment better her progress? Is it a smaller ratio so that staff would be better equipped to handle her? Come up with some reasons that this placement would be better for her. I don't think the "emotional distress to other students" reason would fly for a placement change.

Imagine if a special needs child was "disruptive" (vocal stereotypy or motor stereotypy) in a regular ed classroom. The child has a right to be there. Other parents could definitely ASK that she be removed, but truly the child deserves to spend at least a little bit of time with her peers.

I would guess that unless the LC placement is something that would benefit this individual child, it wouldn't be something you'd be able to aim for.

By the way, I had a kid like this last year. Not sure if anyone remembers my "screamer" posts, but it was awful. It was the longest school year ever. This kid would come in to school and decide what she was going to scream about and it would last the. entire. day. It was the most annoying, tiring, burn-out thing that I've ever been through. We tried everything. Positive behavior supports. Visual cue cards. Break chairs. Non contingent reinforcement. Contingent reinforcement. Antecedent strategies to include rule cards, sticker charts, self monitoring behavior checklists, etc. NOTHING worked. If she thought of something, she screamed. (McDonalds, field trip, birthday, cupcake, puppy, wanting to drive a car, etc.)

I pity your situation because I know exactly what it's like. I guess the important thing is to keep on trying to do what's best for your other students as well as this particular student. I got those pilot headphones for my other kids - because when it got really loud it was challenging for them to concentrate. That at least helped. The funny thing is -- about 80% of my pictures from my classroom last year have the kids wearing those headphones. I also made a deal with the teacher next door that we could trade classrooms when our screamers were going off. If my screamer started, I'd hike the kids next door and she'd watch them, include them in her lesson, etc. while I dealt with (or watched or ignored) the screamer. Vice versa for her, I'd watch her kids when her crazy one went off. It worked out nicely, at least for the kids, to have another safe environment to retreat to.

Good luck to you!

4. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 6, 2008

teachersk: I may end up teaching such students one day and I appreciate having these suggestions. The headphones were a brilliant idea. Did the school pay for them, or did you?

5. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Dec 6, 2008

Oh Thanks you know we keep going with how disruptive she is to everyone else and we were even told we had to put into her IEPS she would stop screaming, we were like HUH? It is her disability, maybe we will look at how the LC could benefit her and her learning.

6. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Dec 7, 2008

I agree that you need to approach this as to how it would benefit her to be in a "more restrictive" environment. You can't take the stance of how it's affecting the other students as the IEP is about her progress. I would look at her growth at your site and what she could do if at the LC. Even though it seems a ridiculous goal about the screaming, it actually gives you some great data about where she was a year ago and how no progress in this setting has accured.