A story from the classroom this week

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Cthdenver, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Cthdenver

Cthdenver Rookie

Feb 8, 2008

A story from the classroom this week:
    I had given a practice quiz to the students...One kid just would not get to work. I am try to do as i always do go around from one seat to the next but this kid...every three second..."a persons at the door...my head hurts...whats the person behind me doing...". The kid was driving me nuts and I was ready to ring him one, however I remember reading something recently from a book how to speak so kids can learn:
    When kids feel right they behave right...Well I called hm over and took my chance..."Do you know how to do the test?" to this he admitted he did not. Probably he was to embarrassed to tell me on his own.... Just thinking the whole story over its pretty interesting

3. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 9, 2008

He might not know the answers .... but how could he not know "how to do the test"

4. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2008

Yes, it is interesting how kids mask the inability to do something with negative behavior. Forcing teachers to focus on the behavior and not on the fact that they don't know how to do something.
    I wonder what makes a kid act out rather than take the easy way out and ask questions.

5. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Feb 11, 2008

I just turned it around, because you answered your own question. It's hard to focus on something you don't understand, and better to look like you're just being naughty than being "dumb," if you're a kid. :)

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2008

This is exactly what my group of grade 7 and 8 boys told me last year, although there language was a bit coarser :eek:. For kids, it's all about saving face and many students will never admit, especially in front of their peers, that they don't understand.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2008

Lots of students struggle with basic comprehension issues. It might seem obvious to us what we want from them when we ask them to underline the subject and circle the verb, but some students just get overwhelmed and frustrated when they don't understand instructions. This is particularly true for instructions with more than one part or step.

8. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Feb 11, 2008

Cassie, once a month my kids take tests on the skills they've learned. In the checking skills part, there is always a section where they have to circle something (verb, noun, adjective, direct object, whatever the skill is) and underline the thing that it connects with. Very few of them get it, though we apply this sort of direction in their every day practice work. Oh well. As long as they want to keep on learning that's all I care about.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 11, 2008

I know plenty of adults who behave exactly the same way. (Heck, sometimes I am one.) It's the human condition: nobody likes to look or feel stupid.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 11, 2008

I spend more time saying, "Whoa, whoa, whoa: what does the question say?"

11. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Feb 11, 2008

Unless it's part of a student's IEP, you can't read test directions to them.

12. MrL

MrL Companion

Feb 11, 2008

One standardized tests. I always help my 7th graders with my tests on directions. They still try to ask me for answers, though.

13. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 11, 2008

On our state standarized tests, we are required to read the directions aloud to all students, and go through the example question with them.

After that, they are on their own, but they can ask us to repeat the instructions, if they wish.

14. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Feb 11, 2008

MrL, we're not allowed to read them at all. :( We can have them highlight the questions, and we can teach test strategies but not if it's exactly what they will see on the tests. The test scores go to the district and the state each month.

Rainstorm, I just saw your post. Oh.My.Gosh. we are scripted for general directions like bubbling in and there has to be two proctors in every single classroom for the CSTs. We cannot read any questions to them or directions. We have to either take down the BBs or cover everything, everything, with butcher paper until the 2-week testing period is over! CA is strict!

15. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 11, 2008

We have to do all of those things, except we are required to read the directions. I hate taking all the bulletin boards down (or covering them) It is such a waste of time, but we do what we must.

16. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Feb 11, 2008

Wow! Hey, I'm from VA originally. :) It's my 2nd favorite state. :D

17. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 11, 2008

I like it here. The weather suits me just fine, though the summers are a bit humid.

Virginia is for Lovers! I wonder if being a chocolate-lover qualifies? :whistle:

18. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Feb 11, 2008

I LOVED it when I lived there. But you know how they say you can't go back. I wish, but as soon as I'm there I start missing CA. :) I tell my kids the reason I'm so cool is 'cause I'm from VA and they laugh their heads off! :lol: