A Solid Special Education Class/Program

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by Shea Logan, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Shea Logan

Shea Logan Rookie

Dec 8, 2002

Hello Everyone,

I am in the middle of my second year of teaching a self contained middle school class. I have decided to set personal and classroom goals to help myself and the students that I teach. I know that many of you are more experienced and have many ideas. Can you reply to this post with some suggestions about what makes a good special education class(any grade or age). It is my hope, that this post will help others that are trying to improve their classroom or teaching style. Any suggestions (simple, not so simple) would be helpful to many,or at least myself. One word answers (e.g structure) or expanations and strategies would be great!

Thanks!
    :) Shea

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Dec 8, 2002

ORGANIZATION -- Try keeping a file folder labeled for all important paper work.

As for the children - keep them "on task" even during "down time."

Good luck! You sound very dedicated - keep it up!

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Dec 8, 2002

Teach a curriculum that has meaning to your students. By this I mean teach the skills they will need to have meaningful roles in our society as adults. Schools regularly forget that these students will not compete with regular ed people in the real world in academic based jobs, and the remedial approach so many use, is unfortunately useless in the real world. Just look at the statistics for our students as adults. Our competitive society doesn't make all the allowances we do for these students. Also make the room safe with clear rules that are enforced for positive and negative behaviors. Visit my website for more details. If you would like to talk further let me know. Walter
    http://www.smiling-with-hope.org/

5. ®Unknown_Storm®

®Unknown_Storm® Rookie

Dec 15, 2002

Walter makes sense: "have meaning" Kids with autism, at least, are better able to grasp concepts if the concepts have personal meaning to them. Math is rather abstract to some people. However, when you demonstrate that math is used for something that is relevant to the child, it begins to make sense. My son love the outdoors..fishing, camping etc. When his teacher began to use his interests as a basis for teaching math (she used depth charts of lakes and maps), you could almost see a light bulb going on over his head.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Dec 29, 2002

Good question!

I've always focused hard on what I want mystudents to take with them at the end of the year -- that will be useful to them either right away (to survive next year in the schools) or further down the road in "real life."
    I've put a *lot* of things I've done online too, at www.resourceroom.net.
    My experience has been different from Walter's in that I've had a *lot* of success conveying that I'm a "history" teacher or a "science" teacher before I'm a "special education" teacher. So, I use the regular ed. materials and they're very visible in the classroom, and we have quizzes every week and lots and lots of academic, graded exercises.
    That said, that "regular ed" picture involves a whole lot of spin. Yes, I use that regular text... for about 5% of what I do. Personally I think people should have some idea what happened in 1776 and 1935, what the Red Scare was and what we can learn from it; a general idea of what acids and bases are (and why mixing bleach and ammonia is just not such a good idea) -- and also that paying interest really does cost a lot more in the long run, even if it's a payment of "only XXX a month."
    When possible, my goal is often ones my students *really* identify with -- to get them out of special ed. It's an incredible motivator. I've worked with regular ed teachers and had my students go out for a unit to "try out" regular classes. It gives all of us a better idea of where the gaps are.