A small rant about the weirdness of people's perspective of teaching

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, Aug 20, 2017.

1. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 21, 2017

I don't know how I feel about the collaboration argument. It sounds ok, but how much do I really collaborate with the English and social studies teacher at the high school level? The answer is never. I collaborate often with other math teachers, and occasionally a science teacher, but that's it. Also, if you think about other work places where people make different amounts of money (i.e. an office of some sort), does that really prohibit collaboration? I'm not sure it does. Again, I'm not 100% in favor of this, just thinking it through.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  2. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 21, 2017

A lot of what you said makes sense. However, as a high school math teacher I have to say that it is very difficult to fill math/science positions. There are far too many English and history teachers than the market needs. I'm not saying those subjects aren't important because they're extremely important, but there just isn't a high need for those positions to be filled because it is pretty easy to find replacements. Case in point, before I was hired the principal was teaching all of my classes (AP and core) in addition to doing their administrative duties because no one was qualified to teach them except for the principal, who also happened to have a math background. In fact, the position was unfilled for 3+ years.

Speaking about this, it reminds me of my graduating class at UC Davis. I was a math major so I walked with majors M trough P and I distinctly remember there were hundreds and hundreds of psychology majors and only like 20 math majors. We were shocked. We thought there were more of us... No offense, but not everyone can be a psychologist. It is oversaturating the market. We need more math graduates!!! :mad:

3. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Aug 21, 2017

In Indiana, our inbred legislators used the exact same "statistic" to insinuate that teachers were overpaid.

Thing is, Indiana is a very, very poorly educated state, with too few jobs requiring degrees, and a massive "workforce" of uneducated and impoverished laborers. Our hillbilly legislators even bill Indiana as a great source of cheap, uneducated, non-unionized labor.

When they took away our tiered pay structures, they repeatedly reminded the public how we make more than the average Walmart associate and warehouse laborer with (maybe) a high school diploma. This was meant to build resentment toward teachers and push back against opposition to slash their pay.

Like Utah, Indiana now suffers a massive teacher shortage. There remain idiots willing to throw their lives away and enter the field. However, by and large, kids have wised up to the insanity of investing in a degree that promises nothing more than a lifetime of poverty and degradation.

It boils the blood to hear such tripe. It is a sad testament to our nation's decline when people buy into such lunacy and even perpetuate it.

4. futuremathsprof

Aug 21, 2017

I have not laughed like that in a long time. My goodness that was funny. I mean, the first sentence was hysterical. Then, I kept reading and completely lost it.

Note: I'm not laughing at your predicament, but your writing style when you throw insults is absolutely fantastic.

AmyMyNamey and a2z like this.
  5. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Aug 21, 2017

It is evil. It is a fantastic way to build resentment betwixt team members.

bella84 likes this.
  6. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 21, 2017

I'd be very careful with this sort of slam on the people of Indiana. Mandatory K-12 has been around for generations. Those you call poorly educated were educated when schools were supposedly funded better (according to your other posts). Who educated these poorly educated people? This doesn't bode well for wanting support and more money for teachers. It seems to say they couldn't do their jobs even when students were better behaved and society didn't go downhill.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2017

Our teachers' federation (union) would never allow that.

8. futuremathsprof

Aug 21, 2017

You are mostly correct. It really depends on the state. For example, in California you can negotiate where you start on the salary schedule but once you start you're locked into that step until you advance. Also, there are signing bonuses for math and science teachers a lot of the time. For example, there recently was a job advertisement with a $5,000 signing bonus for a position.

9. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Aug 21, 2017

You laugh, but have you ever seen 1972's Deliverance? I have to live it, teaching in Indiana. Dueling Banjos is our state song.

More correctly, Indiana is Deliverance with meth replacing moonshine. And that's just our General Assembly.

10. futuremathsprof

Aug 21, 2017

Haha!

11. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Aug 21, 2017

Could be? Who is to say a teacher would be at NASA were it not for her devotion to high school chemistry? You may as well make the claim your music teacher would otherwise be playing Carnegie Hall, your gym teacher would be a first round draft pick for the Lakers, and your art teacher would be heading a crack design team for Arcadis.

You cannot do this. It undermines team dynamics. It's why the military doesn't pay according to specialty, but by rank.

bella84 likes this.
  12. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Aug 21, 2017

So stay the hell away from Arizona. Duly noted.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  13. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Aug 21, 2017

I'm a teacher in Canada. I think it is so interesting that this thread started with a discussion of why teachers needed to get paid more (so there isn't a shortage) and now the thread has deviated to paying science teachers more. We have 0 problem getting enough science teachers and we don't get paid 6 figures and we also don't get paid different amounts of money based on our specialty. I see a number of issues with paying teachers different amounts for different specialties but I think the bottom line is that it is completely unnecessary if you just pay a decent salary to all teachers. Education is really the cheapest investment a society can make so cheaping out on salaries for educators is just incredibly short sighted.

Where I am, we do get paid enough that it's a comfortable wage, it feels fair, its pretty consistent across the province, we have good benefits and we have a fair pension. I think the key is that teaching is a career that requires an education and is hard work and teachers should be paid a wage that allows them to support their family. They shouldn't have to think about renting out a room in someone else's house to save enough for retirement. A big part of why teaching is so underpaid is because it is historically a female profession so I would argue that to me as a profession, from a salary perspective, it needs to be such that you can support a family.

yellowdaisies, bella84 and MrsC like this.
  14. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  15. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2017

SageScience likes this.
  16. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Aug 21, 2017

I will start off saying that I knew the pay when I entered teaching. Some teachers I work with go way beyond expected duties of their job and I feel they are underpaid. Others aren't great employees and there could be a strong argument that they are overpaid. The problem is that since everyone has been to school everyone thinks they can teach.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  17. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 21, 2017

This is a great point. I once had a parent, who had no teaching experience whatsoever, try to tell me I need to differentiate more in my algebra 2 class. No actual suggestions how to do it---it was just something to say because she was unhappy her son had a C+. I just thanked her for her feedback. :rolleyes:

AmyMyNamey and Leaborb192 like this.
  18. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2017