A small question of confusion

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 26, 2018

Principal did a drop-in observation today. It went pretty well, no major issues--except for one. The last few times principal has popped in I have gotten comments about how I need to have a schedule. I do have a schedule. I have had one since the beginning of the year. It's not hidden--in fact, it's one of the first things people comment on, and I've received many compliments about how cute and effective it is for kids.

My principal is oblivious to this schedule. Yes, I've pointed it out. It's not particularly unique (you know, the kind that would make you question if it's a schedule or not.) Every other person seems to say "oh, what a cute schedule!" Yes, I've pointed it out multiple times.

So my question isn't "how do I get my principal to see my schedule?" but rather a more rambling "what is going it can't be seen?"

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2018

Schedules aren’t ‘cute’.

a2z likes this.
  4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 26, 2018

Any chance you could post a picture of it, especially from far enough back so that we get the experience of being a kid / adult looking for the schedule?

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 26, 2018

Did the P mention the schedule this time (it's not clear to me if you're including this time in "the last few times")? If so, I would just flat out ask what the problem is. Have a picture on hand in case you end up meeting with P somewhere other than your classroom. I would say something like, "You've mentioned this a couple of times and I'm confused because this is my schedule right here. Can you tell me specifically what I need to be doing differently?"

Since you say you've pointed it out, P must have a different idea in mind or be talking about something different than you realize. Maybe he sees what you have posted but thinks it's not correct or feels like you're not following the schedule during walkthroughs.

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 26, 2018

It sounds like you have a schedule and either the principal is missing it or isn't exactly what she wants. I do find some principals are incredibly particular in what they want. I think that asking her might be a good idea. You could mention that she wrote that you don't have a schedule and inform her that you do use one and maybe even dare ask her opinion. She will probably be impressed you care enough to ask her opinion and will give you specific feedback on what she really wants. That might save you time and future worrying.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 28, 2018

This. Just ask!

futuremathsprof, a2z and Backroads like this.
  8. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 28, 2018

I have to agree here. It sounds like more than anything you're desperate for feedback. Ask and you shall receive. Part of having a growth mindset is seeking out that feedback from our peers and admins.

a2z and Backroads like this.
  9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 28, 2018

Mine is. :) My magnets have a picture and title of the subject/event, and all are shaped like apples.

That's my confusion, I guess. It's your standard cut-out magnets you post in order on the board, not at all dissimilar from everyone else's. It's worked for me for the better part of ten years, been recognized in all other observations I've had in my career. Literally, the exact same set.

I'm not opposed to changing it, but I'm scratching my head over why it's being... not considered.

10. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 28, 2018

Can do that Monday.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 28, 2018

Things get overlooked. Just ask.

They missed my word wall years ago during a walkthrough from an outside agency . It was under my smart board. When I mentioned it, he acknowledged it, but added that it was in an inconvenient location. I explained that it was there because the kids requested it. When they were in their seats, it was at a perfect height to see it. Issue solved.

readingrules12 and Backroads like this.
  12. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 28, 2018

How small are these cut-outs? Could it be that it is just not prominent? How clear are the times associated with the block?

I'm not trying to be critical, I'm just trying to think of things that might make your P unhappy with the manner of the schedule. All I can come up with is an apple may not provide a large enough space to have a picture and words so that they are highly readable. Or maybe he doesn't think a schedule should be cute because it is what is supposed to help direct the students. It is important and maybe he thinks it shouldn't be cute.

However, I do agree with others. Get a picture of your schedule if you can't get the P to your room and ask what is wrong.

Could it be an adherence issue? Do you always adhere to what is on the board? Is it possible someone moved your magnets and you didn't notice such that your schedule indicates math when you are doing reading?

Backroads likes this.
  13. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 28, 2018

Oh, you're absolutely fine. You're throwing out the possibilities as I asked and I am grateful. The apples are pretty big, comparable in size with everyone else's schedules.

I want to imagine that if I weren't adhering to them that would be mentioned rather than "No schedule posted" but that just could be the programming of the observation and what options are needed.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 29, 2018

Hello Mr. Principal, Can you come in and take a look at my schedule and let me know if it needs to be modified in any way?

Is it in an out of the way location? Can you point out the schedule when he/she is in the room. OK class what's next on the schedule? Oh, math!

otterpop likes this.
  15. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 29, 2018

Matter settled. Principal simply didn't know where it was (sigh). Still, we chatted about the best preferences for the schedule. It went well.

wldywall likes this.
  16. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 29, 2018

Well I am happy for you that is settled, but what micro-managing!

stephenpe likes this.
  17. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 29, 2018

Glad that was settled! Once it was pointed out to him, was it appropriate and such?

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 30, 2018

Sometimes people are just blind when they come into your room to things that you THINK are in plain sight. I had the same problem one time but I pointed out what was supposedly "missing" and they said ahhhhhhhhhhhhh I didn't see it!!!