A sign of the times

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ~Nicole, Jun 11, 2008.

1. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jun 11, 2008

I bought some books at a garage sale last weekend. I was coding and adding them to my library when I remembered that when I was in 4th grade we had to have a permission slip to check out RL Stien (b/c they were considered scary)-today I had to halt a conversation about what happened in Saw II.

I'm sure most of my kids wouldn't flinch at a Goosebumps book.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2008

I think it depends on the individual student. I know to this day I probably would be a lil scared at reading RL Stein and watching Saw. There were students then like there are students now that just aren't phased by those types of stories.

4. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Jun 11, 2008

One of my kinders told me the plot of Saw. Not sure what to think.

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 11, 2008

YIKES!!!! And I was mad at my uncle for letting my kindergartener watch transformers.

6. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Jun 11, 2008

Kids and scary stuff

Hi! Isn't is amazing and unbelievable??? I had a kindergartner last year that had watched every horror movie there is with his grandmother. She didn't think it was bothering this very sensitive 5 year old. She even laughed about it. I was horrified. This poor child would sit at the cafeteria table and tell me all about Jason, Freddie, Saw I, II, and III, These Hills have eyes...and tons more::eek:. He was afraid one day that Jason was gonna come out of the mulch at the playground and get him. My assistant went nuts. She just freaked. (That didn't help.) :huh: I had the principal sit with us one day and this child told her all about the latest horror movie he watched. As a parent, I don't allow my children to watch this stuff. My daughter stayed at a friend's house with other girls. They watched The Craft and Jeepers Creepers. She hid under the covers. But, I think that was worse because afterwards, she would walk the house every night before bed locking doors, windows, and she sleeps with her door closed. She absolutely freaked out. She is better now but just listening upset her. She is 16. Anyway...:sorry:. It is a sign of the times that the parents of today's little ones do not pay a lot of attention to their children. I know lots do. But, as teachers we are seeing more of those whose parents plop them in front of the TV and the computer as babysitters while they do other things. As a teacher, I listened in shock at first. But, when he started talking to the other children and scaring them, we had a serious class meeting. And I had the counselor come in and talk with the class. Even then, this same child really didn't get it. We talked with his mom (who said she didn't know) and his grandmother. It really affected my classroom. Then we turned it over to the family mentor of our school. It continued. He was moved to another school (he was out of district.) and seems to be doing better there. Just hold your class together and get the kids help if it bothers them and set rules for what we talk about in class and why we don't talk about certain things. In my class this included girls kissing each other. :unsure: That's another story. I was glad when the year ended. Soooooo, RL Stine and the like is monitored. I wouldn't push any child to read them. Some kids love ghost stories and can handle them. Of course, if the books are too gory don't put them out. I don't like them so they are not in my class library. Parents will let you know too. Sign of the times No Fear. :(

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 11, 2008

Uh, I wasn't even allowed to listen to the radio until I was in middle school... my parents taped all our TV shows that we watched and we watched them during dinner, together. And they were limited to Home Improvement and America's Funniest Home Videos.

Sheltered much? ;)

8. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jun 11, 2008

I remember when I was 14 or 15 my friend who lived across the street from me and I watched the Werewolf movies, and we took turns walking each other home we were so freaked out.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 12, 2008

Meanwhile, I know one seventh grader whose HERO is Ash (played by Bruce Campbell) in the Evil Dead movies. This is a character who chopped off his own hand because it had a mind of its own and replaced it with a chainsaw.

10. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2008

Many of our kids are de-sensitized to violence
    just look at the video game "Grand Theft Auto" just thinking about it make me want to result to violence (kill the makers).

And it is not Sheltering it is allowing our kids "to be kids" as long as they can be
    Look at the fashions that girls are wearing (even elementary), suggestive clothes.

Just what are we doing to our kids?
    How about the the 2 girls in Oklahoma
    I wonder how easy it was for the killers to kill them?
    sick sick sick

11. kdc_7276

kdc_7276 Rookie

Jun 12, 2008

My SIL turned on Princess Bride the other day with my 4, almost 5 year old in the room. I didn't even remember anything scary about that movie, seeing as how it's set up as a fairy tale. But there's a scene where they are in the forest and the guy fights a giant rat. My DS was horrified and declaired, "I don't think I should be watching this movie." LOL. He knows his limits because we do NOT watch that kind of stuff at home.

I don't even let him watch the Spiderman cartoons or PowerRangers. Heck, I know mom's who won't let their kids watch ARTHUR!

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 12, 2008

That scene TERRIFIED me as a child. I still have nightmares about that darn rat.

13. kdc_7276

kdc_7276 Rookie

Jun 12, 2008

Yeah, my DS couldn't go to sleep that night. I felt horrible for him. :sorry: You'd think my SIL would have known better. :down:

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2008

I remember watching the Princess Bride. That scene scared the crap out of me! It was on the other day, and I totally forgot about that scene, but when it came on, I was scared all over again.

15. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2008

My parents let me watch PBS and that was it until probably 16.:whistle:

Only got to watch, The Electric Company and Cosmos and maybe a auction for public television. That's ok though. Books and creating were my outlet- so much more productive.

16. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2008

I had a second grader tell me in his journal how many nightmares he's had because he watched The Grudge (I haven't seen it-don't want to). Then, I had another brag because his parents let him see Saw (haven't seen it, nEvEr will). I have no desire to watch anything of that sort.

Recently, I watched a great scary movie called, The Innocents. It was a black and white movie about a little boy and girl who saw ghosts. Another great one I saw was The Bad Seed, another black and white movie. NO gore, NO chopping of heads- just suspense. That's the scary I like.

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 12, 2008

Mable, you should read/watch "The Picture of Dorian Grey". Wanna talk about pure psychological terror??? That one's great.

I was only allowed to listen to christian music or classical music until I went to boarding school...even then I wasn't "allowed" to listen to the other stuff, but I did anyway cause I was 500 miles away. Boy did I ever go crazy watching horror flicks and other R-rated movies, listening to the worst of the worst music, and otherwise rebelling against my parents super strict rules.

18. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 12, 2008

Mable - I would also recommend "The Orphanage" - it's from Spain so it's subtitled, but one of the best suspenseful movies I've seen in awhile. It's kind of about ghosts, but it's not gory at all.

I'm torn on this topic. I hate to see young kids in the theater when I go see these movies (there was a 4-year old in Sweeney Todd-I mean come on, the whole plot was he was a barber that killed people). But when my sister and I were little, my Mom had a yoga class and Dad was watching us. He took us to see a movie called "Force Five" - it was a bloody martial arts movie. My mother has not forgiven him to this day! But neither my sister nor I turned into serial killers.

I personally would never let my child watch those kinds of movies but I'm not sure it's really doing any harm. The kids who understand the difference between real and make-believe comprehend that it's all fake. And the ones who don't are probably the ones who suffer from a mental disorder and nothing short of therapy or medication is going to change that.

Dave - I agree with you - that story was just horrible - I literally felt sick watching it on the news.

19. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2008

That is the rub ..... parenting good or bad?
    Parents have to know what their kids are seeing and what the kids can handle.

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 13, 2008

Auther?

21. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 13, 2008

I had a parent who let her youngest (3 year old) watch Snakes On The Plane (I think that's what it was called). He loved it so much that she bought him a copy from Wal Mart even though the scene with the snakes coming out of the with the toilet totally freaked him out and he would no longer sit on the toilet:eek:hmy:.

22. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 13, 2008

I saw that movie in high school and it freaked me out!

23. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 13, 2008

CNG, turn off your computer and go finish packing so you can go on your trip!:p

24. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 13, 2008

HAHAHA! I'm getting there. I love my hubbie. He suggest I have a wine cooler before I go.