A sign of the times, I guess!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HistTchr, Aug 28, 2013.

1. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 28, 2013

Today was the first day of school in my district. One of the teachers in my department began class by having students fill out an information sheet. There was a space on the paper for the students to write their home phone numbers. Apparently, she had at least one student in each class (9th grade) that asked what that meant! That was a first!

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2013

Haha...interesting.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 28, 2013

That's funny! I do have to really think about it to remember my home phone number-I use it so rarely. ;)

5. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 28, 2013

Same here, actually. People never know it's me when I call on my home phone because I hardly ever use it!

6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 28, 2013

lol

our new gradebook has all of the staff members' phone numbers listed in its directory. So everyone at the school has easy access to everyone else's number. We found this out in a training session.

It was funny to see everyone jump screens and check out their names. Even funnier when several people said "oh, it's just my home number, no big deal."

7. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2013

Haha seriously??

I always prefer talking on my home phone rather than my cell.

8. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2013

I haven't had a home phone for several years. I don't have kids, so cell phones work fine for us.

9. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Aug 28, 2013

I haven't had a home phone since moving out of my parents house 10 years ago!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2013

I'm the opposite; I'm NEVER on my cell.

Once summer ends, I'm pretty much either at home, at school, or enroute.

At home I have the house phone.
    At school, my cell is turned off.
    Enroute, my cell is turned off; it's against the law here to use anything but hands-free as you drive.

I use my cell mostly to text things like "I'm here" to my kids when they need a ride and I don't feel like getting out of the car.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2013

I have a home phone that is used for internet/fax/DirectV, but I never talk on the phone.

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 29, 2013

These days, the term has become "land line". Many of my students and their parents have individual cell phones but not a central number in their homes. This becomes problematic if minutes start to run low.

13. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Aug 29, 2013

That falls into the same category as kids who have no idea what something like "a quarter after eight" means in time-telling. Since all they've really known are digital clocks, they don't know any way other than "8:15."

:dunno:

14. 1cubsfan

1cubsfan Companion

Aug 29, 2013

Funny- I was teaching in rural India and many of the kids had never seen a digital clock before. They didn't understand what "8:15" meant... They only understood "Quarter past 8" or "ten to 8" or "5 past half past 5" and things like that!

15. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Aug 30, 2013

I don't even know my home phone number. I have to look it up in my cell phone when someone asks for it.

16. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 30, 2013

I think a lot of families have given up having a home phone since everybody has cell phones. Having one just seems obsolete when every single member in the family has their own personal phone.

But I do remember spending hours tied to our home phone as a kid- like the one with the long stretchy cord that could thankfully reach every where in the kitchen (so I could still do my chores in there and be on the phone at the same time).

I've had to explain why the save icon is a little disk in Word to my students. They don't have any clue what a floppy disk is :)

17. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Aug 31, 2013

I do wonder if, and this is also a sign of the times, some kids who ask that have divorced parents. They may not know whose phone number a teacher needs.

18. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Aug 31, 2013

My husband and I gave up our landline several years ago.... We never used it!

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 31, 2013

I haven't had a land line since I moved to Ohio. My husband and I just haven't bothered.

20. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 31, 2013

Hah. I haven't had a home phone since I moved out either. We really don't need one at all. However, I'd like to get one eventually for emergency purposes. Calling 911 from a land line is preferable because they can immediately see where you are if you're not able to communicate it yourself. It can take far too long on a cell phone. Getting a land line is just too expensive for us to get exclusively for emergencies though.

21. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Aug 31, 2013

The only reason we have a landline is because it comes with the internet/cable package & actually costs MORE if we were to get rid of it (many cable companies get a tax write off for the phone line). However, we have no phone connected to it...haven't had a landline in about 6 years!

22. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2013

When I first started teaching, I was shocked by how many MS students can only read a digital clock. :eek:
    Every time they would sign-out to go to the bathroom, they would stare at the clock for a bit before they turned to me and asked, "what time is it?" I mean many of our MS cannot spell, do basic math problems (they line up the problem wrongs so even basic subtraction is off) AND they can't tell time. What is going on at the ELEM level (although, I am NOT blaming ELEM teachers)? :eek:

23. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Sep 1, 2013

I think a little piece of my soul died Thursday when one of my students asked my if cassette tapes are those rectangle things his dad has. I felt old.

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2013

They tend to think that "a quarter after 8" is 8:25, since 25 cents is a quarter. Someone needs to actually explain to them that it's 15 minutes, since it's a quarter of an hour.

In their defense, when was the last time you saw a rotary clock? Aside from the ones in our classrooms, I can't even tell you where to find one.

25. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2013

I agree with you on the first part...I remember my second year teaching my sixth grade students how to read clocks. In language arts classes. Very, very few could and when this dawned on me I had to shift gears for two days. It's still one of my happiest teaching moments because they were thrilled to understand the mystery. :)

But don't most people have the clocks at home? I mean, besides those weather clocks, I never see digital clocks in homes besides on appliances and such.

26. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 1, 2013

I find many don't have clocks at home besides digital ones. The only reason I have one is because it's the cat clock where the eyes and tail move. It's mostly decoration.

I haven't had a landline since I lived with my parents.