A sign?? (a little long, sorry!)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Beth2004, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 27, 2007

My fiance and I are currently trying to decide where our wedding ceremony and reception will be held. We've got about a year and a half before the wedding, but since dates fill up so quickly we want to have things booked *hopefully* by this summer.

I was raised Catholic and went to church every Sunday as a child. I lived about 4 houses down from my church and was able to walk there myself even when my mom wasn't going to mass. When I was 14 (right after I was confirmed) I moved to another town and and basically stopped going to church. I've been on and off since then, but haven't felt that I belonged to any one church in quite some time. My fiance is in a similar situation so even though we knew we wanted a Catholic wedding, we were really unsure of where to have our ceremony.

I went to visit a local church last Saturday for mass and really wasn't impressed. I didn't really like the look of the church on the inside and didn't get a very good feeling from the priest or any of the other people there. I didn't get a bad feeling, just not a good one. Anyway, we decided to go to mass at my childhood church this afternoon. My priest is no longer there (which I knew) so I wanted to see what the current person is like. The priest came around before mass to say hello to everyone and he seems like a very friendly, charismatic person. We both got a good feeling from him right away. Then, mass began, and the first reading was 1 Corinthians 13:4--The Excellence of Love "Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous" etc... which is a reading I want to have at my wedding. How much more of a sign do I need?? haha....We have now decided where our ceremony will be! :love:

3. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jan 27, 2007

That's a great story! I love things like that!

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2007

Beth, yes, I do think it was a sign,,, and that was one of my readings too:love: :love: :love:

So are you going to see about having your ceremony there?

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 27, 2007

I think we're going to start attending mass there on a regular basis and then maybe in a couple of months we'll make an appt. to see about booking the church.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 27, 2007

That sounds wonderful, Beth. Better check out what kind of pre-cana classes they require, too.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2007

That sounds wonderful!

And Daisy is right-- check into Pre-Cana. Also, register with the parish and use envelopes. It's really the only way they have of knowing who is attending the church, and that may possibly be a requirement if you want to get married there.

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 27, 2007

They don't hold any of the pre-cana classes at this particular parish, but the church I visited last weekend has them quite often (pretty much every month) in their parish center. It lookes like most of them are one day sessions which is good. They do offer the Engagement Encounter weekends, but I think we'll be fine with just one 8 hour day. :) They recommend registering for them 8-12 months before the wedding so I expect we'll end up doing our pre-cana next fall or winter.

9. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 28, 2007

I officially asked my bridesmaids to be in my wedding party today and we went to a bridal fair. It was a ton of fun. My matron of honor was pretty excited to hear that we decided on my childhood church because it was her's too. She didn't get married there because she didn't like the priest that was there, but she's thinking of going back now that there's a new priest there. She said, "there's no church like it" but is a little concerned about the VERY long aisle! haha

10. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jan 28, 2007

Congratulations Beth!
    How was the bridal fair?

11. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 28, 2007

It was great. I got tons of brochures, flyers, coupons, etc. I found a photographer that I may give a call. We're thinking of having her take our engagement photos this spring and then if we like them we'll book her for our wedding. I've been shocked at how expensive some photographers are. Most of what I've seen has been $2000-$4000. It's nuts. This girl that we found is local and just getting into the business so her prices are much lower. Her work looks good too.

12. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jan 28, 2007

A friend of mine went to bridal fairs before her wedding, and won several contests. She won a free honeymoon trip, and I think she may have won something from a salon too. Be sure to enter the contests!!

13. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2007

Beth, this happend to me with my old childhood church. It is small and after being there for a couple years as a child my parents left and went to another church. I never felt at home there at the new one, but always did at the original church my parents attended. Long story short, when my hubby and I got married we decided to attend there while trying to find the right church for us. Everyone was so friendly, outgoing, the pastor came around to introduce himself and geet us. Needless to say, we are members there now! :D God works in mysterious ways. Sounds like a sign to me.;)

14. Tbug

Tbug Companion

Jan 31, 2007

Quick question about being married in a catholic church...

My boyfriend is catholic but doesn't practice, I was raised Baptist, but never baptised. I currently work at a catholic school. He would like to get married in a catholic church...is this possible?
    I'm thinking it would depend on the priest. Maybe we would need to attend the training classes they have for couples.

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 31, 2007

I'm pretty sure you can give you take a class and get confirmed.
    My bf is also catholic. I refuse to get married in a catholic church. I'm protestant. I just don't think I can stand for a long catholic wedding lol.

16. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 31, 2007

As far as I know, you can get married in the church, but like you said, it may depend on the priest. I also think you may be required to take a few more of the pre-cana type classes and you'll have to agree to raise your children catholic, but it shouldn't be a problem.

17. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jan 31, 2007

Jaime

You can have a long mass in a Catholic church or the 20 min version. :)

I had the full mass, but it was a personal choice. My church is where I received all my sacraments, and I still attend church there so it was special for me .

18. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 31, 2007

I'm not going to have a full mass for my wedding. My father's family isn't Catholic so about half the people in the church wouldn't get up to receive communion anyway.

Also, I don't think you have to be confirmed, you just have to get special permission to get married there (of course, your fiance would need to be confirmed, though). My father was raised protestant and my mother was catholic and my father didn't need to receive any of the sacraments to be married in a catholic church. It may depend on the diocese or the particular church, though.

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 31, 2007

He is confirmed. I still am not getting married there. NOPE not doing it:)
    I want to get married in the historical church in my home town.