A Real Teacher Time Out!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by hillsidefogo, Jun 26, 2004.

1. hillsidefogo

hillsidefogo Companion

Jun 26, 2004

Yipee!! I'm finally finished for the year. I can join the ranks of 'free' teachers. Actually I have a few things to do next week. I have plants and fish in my classroom to attend to, anybody else have live things in their classroom? What do you do for the summer?
    As for summer goals, I'm going to try to walk each and everyday, go camping, gardening, and try to change my kids 'playroom' into a cool teenage hangout- any ideas?
    Happy Vacation Everyone, especially those like me who finish sooo late! :)

Dawn

3. miss karen

miss karen Comrade

Jun 26, 2004

Hey Dawn!!! I just joined the ranks too!! We ended here on Wednesday as we had the St. Jean holiday on Thursday. I have 3 ped days next week, mostly cleaning up (no live things in my class!) and meetings regarding next year's scheduling. I got great news last week too..... I will have my own post next year.... FINALLY!! I have been with the board for 6 years now, it's about time. I can finally take a summer vacation without all of the worry. I will be staying at the school I was at this year, teaching K again and likely grade one Math. As for the summer... we also have plans to camp, go to the beach, visit Toronto, see my parents, gardening, gardening, gardening!! and lots of stuff to get done around the yard. Good luck with that "teenage room", wish I had some ideas for you but mine are still young. Let me know what you finally do!

Have a great vacation everyone.... get lots of rest, it'll be over before we know it!!(sorry!!) :tired:

Karen

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 28, 2004

Hi, Dawn! I have living critters in my room. I bring them all home. This year, for the first time, I haven't brought my fish tank home. I put extended feeders in the tank and go up about once a week to check on them. They are doing swimmingly! :D The rats, turtles, hermit crab, etc all came home with me. My cat is really loving the entertainment! :) I have a plant that I really really need to bring home, it's not doing well. I water it when I can, and the custodian is helping out. I just keep forgetting to bring it home. Have a great summer!

Christy

5. MDMontessori

MDMontessori Companion

Jul 1, 2004

Christy,
    Does your hermit crab come out enough for it to be of value for the kids? I am thinking of getting one. :confused:

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 1, 2004

Hermie comes out pretty regularly. This is the most active one I've had. I started with one that a student brought me his from home. (Ralph) He didn't last very long. Then came Hermes, he lived almost a year, but never moved around. This one stays out and moves around a fair amount. I thought he was a goner a month back. He began to bury himself in the sand and not come out. I would dig him out every once in a while to make sure he was still alive. It turns out he was shedding (he shed his whole exoskeleton in basically one piece, Hermes didn't do that). Now he's back to running around. He even switches shells (I have 3 in there). He is currently in the one that is too big. If I pick him up he almost falls out of the shell!
    If you have trouble finding something they eat, try dog food. I put about 5 pieces of kibble in his bowl, put a few drops of warm water on it, then set him on it. He really likes it.

Christy

Last edited: Jul 1, 2004
  7. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 2, 2004

peanut butter is also a smelly but attracting one to the hermits. YOU ONLY NEED A DIME SIZE
    The classroom overnight was so cold that every morning my students would rinse, bath the hermit crabs in water and then watch them. If you spray bottle them, it makes a mess of the tank but it also WAKES them up!

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 4, 2004

I also was told that hermits may live only 2-3 months & need a heat lamp. I had one, but he was not very active, so I took him home & he died shortly thereafter. I'm thinking about trying it again, but I already have a class hamster and a fish that come home, along with my plants for the summer!