A.R.-Accelerated Reader

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by 1st-yr-teacher, Aug 1, 2009.

1. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

Does anyone here use AR at school? I am looking for ways to manage this program in my class. Any suggestions?

3. cmgeorge626

cmgeorge626 Companion

Aug 1, 2009

My school uses it. Maybe you could ask specific questions?

4. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

Do you allow your students to take a test any time in the classroom? How do you know that the student is ready for a test? Do you allow them to go to the library whenever they need to get a new book?

Thanks

5. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 1, 2009

We have a certain AR time during the day. However, I also allow AR tests in the morning if finished with all morning work. My students have to fill out a report before they can take a test and write down the book information in their AR folder. At the beginning of the year, the report is more of a picture walk and they need to explain it fairly well. As the year rolls on, the students fill out a different report that requires them to write about the book (all different kinds of forms for this that you can use). I have a check out system for books with each child having their own library card in a pocket. It makes them responsible for checking out and returning the book (and not cramming 7 in their desk when they "need a book.")

6. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

Hi!

I love your idea of AR Report lteach2! :) I would love to know what is in the AR Report exactly, as I too have the problem of students cramming 7 "AR" books in their desks! :) What a great idea!

AR in my class was a challenge at first, as I have a class of 30. However, I am also blessed to have 4 working computers. I would also allow the class to take "AR" tests when finished morning work, and also would make "AR" testing a center during literacy centers.

According to school policy, AR tests are not allowed during DEAR time.

At my school, second graders need to reach their personal "goal" before the end of the trimester. This can be a huge challenge to the students who aren't as "into" AR as their peers. It was bit difficult to ensure all 30 students, with different numbers of points needed, made their goals.

At school, the students are also allowed to take AR after school in the librray till 4 PM. :)

Hope this helped!

7. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

I can send you copies of the reports I use (or something similar) if you want. I already sent some to someone yesterday. I, too, let students take AR tests during workshop time as a may do. What do you do to monitor your students during AR? I do "status of the class" each day during AR time. While the kids are reading, you check in with a few students, see what they are reading, ask them some questions. I keep a "status" sheet on a clipboard and keep track of who I met with...also their AR quiz scores, who has a low % average, who needs interventions (such as "needs to read with a buddy"). This helps me keep up with the individual easier. We have quarterly goals.

I also have a bar graph that I keep on the bulletin board closest to the computers so students can see their progress. We are required to have our outside bulletin board be half AR. Since I have a frog theme, I have little frogs moving to different lily pads with 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100% of their goals. I update this weekly after I run my AR report on Thursday afternoons (which we have to turn in to the principal that day). We turn it in because on the morning news on Fridays, the principal tells what classes in each grade had a 90% average or above and/or are in the 100% club. The 100% club is for classes with 100% of students testing. Also, we send our top point getter down and they get recognized on tv. The top point getter also has to have an average of 90% or above.

I could go on and on about AR since it is such a big thing at my school. I have been model AR educator the past 2 years (crossing my fingers for master this year!) and our school received master AR school this year. If there are any other questions, keep 'em coming!~:)

8. teachermegs

teachermegs Rookie

Aug 2, 2009

I have 4 computers in the classroom and made a morning schedule so they can use them after morning work. I had some students on a different program instead of morning work so the other kids could take RP (we switched last year from AR) tests. During litercy center time, they are allowed to take a RP test and in the media center. If they finish work early they can take one. They go to the media center once a week to get two books and I have a lot in my room.

9. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

I only have one computer which is mine but I use it for literacy stations and am going to allow my studetns to take AR test in the morning and during free time. They can take test in the library also. I have a vast library in my classroom. However, I am not sure as to which books have a test. I would love to go through them to see but I just don't have the time before school starts back on Tuesday.

10. teachermegs

teachermegs Rookie

Aug 2, 2009

Have the kids find our if they can take a test on them. My team teacher last year did that with her books at the end of the year.

11. polgacri

polgacri Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

I have a "A.R. Test Permission Slip" that has to be filled out before students take A.R. tests for their independent reading. Students or parents fill out title, author and date and parents sign after they ask students some general questions about the book. Students turn these in with their homework in the morning and can take tests during calendar time, computer lab time or SSR after lunch. I use the slips to write the titles of passed tests on their posted Reading Goals (toward the end of the year they fill in the titles themselves). If the book isn't A.R., it still goes on their Reading Goal. I like keeping the parents involved, and the scores on the tests are usually quite high. I am able to run my own reports to check on how many tests students pass/percentage correct and count A.R. as a grade for the report card.

12. jmaxell

jmaxell New Member

Aug 9, 2009

I would love a copy of your report and or status of the class sheet. I have been using AR for a few years and my students love it. I want to eliminate the students who pretend read just to get to the computer.

13. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 9, 2009

Hey everyone. I have been really busy with workshops all this week, but I will send out copies of reports to people who want them soon.

14. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 9, 2009

If you go to the RenLearn site (http://www.renlearn.com/profdevel/) they offer some great information. I've done some of the webinars and on demand sessions. They have some great information on reports and that sort of thing.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 12, 2009

I had kids do book reports before they could take a test. I had two forms. One was for school and public library and one was for the class library. My public and school book report had title, author, characters, setting, problem, solution, and favorite part for fiction stories and title, author, topic main idea, and three facts from the selection for nonfiction books. My classroom book report asked for title, author, characters, setting, beginning, middle, and end.

We had DEAR time after lunch for fifteen to twenty minutes each day and the kids could turn in book reports to me, take the test, and get a new book or sign up to go to the school library.

I put the procedures for AR in my back to school brochure, on my class website, and I put the book reports on my site so parents could print one if the kiddos forgot to take one home.

16. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 22, 2009