A quote to humble us...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, Feb 23, 2015.

1. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Feb 23, 2015

We did an anonymous survey for 5th graders so they could tell us about their school, how things are going, etc. At the end they were allowed to write what they needed to grow. One kid wrote, "I need a good teacher and not one who just teaches the extra smart people and leaves the rest behind."
    Out of the mouth of babes.....

3. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Feb 24, 2015

that's a great way of putting it! My guess would be this is probably coming from LD student or some other difficulty in learning
    ...before, I used to sub a lot for special ed aids, I would often spend time in the classroom with my kiddo who might be LD, low level autistic, you name it. Oftentimes, trying to understand how a student may feel in that classroom (if I knew that student pretty well), where everyone seem to understand what's going on except for us, that's exactly how I imagined the student must've felt !

4. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Feb 24, 2015

As an "extra smart" student I would have said the exact opposite. I was regularly just put in the corner and given a novel to read to keep me busy.

That really tells you something about our education system. We aren't properly serving any of our learning groups.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2015

I agree with you on this.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 24, 2015

One of my teacher friends said to me, "Do you realize that it's an unspoken rule that we teach to the bottom half of the class? We spend so much time planning RtI for our lower kiddos that our higher students often get the shaft."

Food for thought!

7. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Feb 24, 2015

Yep, same with teacher trainings as well.

8. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 24, 2015

To a child that struggles, "extra smart" might have a different meaning. No one will tell the struggling child he or she is dumb or not-smart. They are told they are smart. So, "extra smart" might just mean the kids that get the concept easily.

A lot of planning does go to help the strugglers, but often what they really need, they don't get. How many times have you heard or said, we have to move on. We can't wait for the struggler to get it. How often do the strugglers really get the type of attention they need to determine where the breakdown is and how to fix it. Even in special education classes there are usually too many kids for one teacher to really work with the kid at the level they need and for the amount of time they need.

I'm not saying teachers don't work their hardest, but the reality of the struggling child, even if they get help, if they aren't there, the class moves on anyway. How else would you explain kids (even ones without IEPs) sitting in a class when they are grade levels behind in the skills needed to do the work of the class. This, to those kids, seems like catering to the "extra smart" kids. Even if they were held back they wouldn't be getting the type of help they needed. Mass education doesn't bring the majority to potential.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 24, 2015

I have always felt that....

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 24, 2015

I agree.

In my experience it is the really smart kids, really low kids and the kids that act horribly that get all of the attention. The middle kids that behave fall through the cracks.

11. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 24, 2015

My school is obsessed with RTI and interventions. One hand, these things are important and those struggling kids needs help and good help at that.

I feel the middle and excelling kids are left behind, though.

12. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 24, 2015

Interesting. I have always taught to the top half of my class. And this year, being in a grade lower than I ever have before I am teaching basically a grade level ahead. Raise the expectations and often the students will rise with you. Thats the way I have always worked.