A quick question...

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by TeacherC, Jan 29, 2007.

1. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jan 29, 2007

...I'm just wondering... At my school, we are required to keep all the students assessments (even quizzes and graded homework assignments) in their "portfolios". Therefore, the kids don't get their work back- meaning they don't see their mistakes, and parents don't see their tests- unless I make copies of everything - and I think I've killed a whole forest so far! Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do to show students and parents their progress without copying all the tests again?:thanks:

3. ms.jansen

ms.jansen Companion

Jan 29, 2007

We keep all quizzes and tests for portfolios but send them home to be signed before they go in the folders. If they are not returned it counts the same as any missing assignment so it is typically not a problem getting them back.

Also, if you use an electronic gradebook program, parents (and students) can see their scores either online or on weekly printouts from you.

4. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jan 29, 2007

...I should have mentioned that I have tried sending them home to get them signed, but I typically don't get anything back from the same few students- whether it counts as a missing assignment or not (the same students don't turn in homework...big surprise!)
    And electronic gradebook program would be great-but no, we don't have one....I'll have to ask about that at school though!

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 29, 2007

Would you get them back if you put them in a big binder. My son's teacher last year had a spreadsheet of the kid's grades (circles for missing grades and blanks for not graded yet). Then behind one divider communication and/or flyers. THe next dividers is papers they want us to review and sign but keep in the binder. Then behind the last divider is pages we can keep or throw away.

Personally, this would have been too much work for me, but I'm throwing the idea out there because it is harder to forget or lose a binder than a few scraps of paper. Even if we forget by a few days, it comes back. You could also assign consequence (other than grades) for each late day for the binder. Give them a 1-2-3 warning (and put it on paper). Then on the 4th occurance (either 4th day or 4th time they've been late with the binder), here comes the consequence.

Another idea is making a communication grade spreadsheet to send home and sign and ONLY copying things below a certain grade to sign and bring back (but it is a copy so if it doesn't happen, it won't be a loss). Then keep binders of all papers so if parents do want to review other things, they can. You can also, along with your communication/grade sheet, send a list of skills (newsletter) of what you are reviewing. This way parents can still be active in knowing what their kids are learning without actually seeing the actual papers.

6. ThinkOutLoud

ThinkOutLoud Rookie

Jan 29, 2007

I agree with cutNglue. There needs to be some accountability for students who don't bring back their folders. :confused:
    Another idea (yet involves some time...) is that you could, over 2 weeks, have brief 5-10min meetings with the parents and actually flip through results in front of them. If you saw 2-3 parents each afternoon, it wouldn't be so time consuming for you.
    It wouldn't be like an official parent-teacher interview, you could keep it more low-key and emphasize it's only a quick meeting.

Hope this helps a bit ;)

7. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2007

Can you have them use a generic answer sheet, or do they have to include the original in the portfolio?

Also, my copier lets us make smaller copies on one page (front/back of a paper on just the front). Perhaps you could try that.

8. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jan 30, 2007

What if you set up a time one day before or after school to have the parents come and look at the assessments if they choose and ask any questions they might have about them? If the parents don't show up on the day you set up, they either set up another day specifically with you (with them making the attempt) or they just don't see it.

9. ThinkOutLoud

ThinkOutLoud Rookie

Jan 30, 2007

I agree with teachingmomof4, the best you can do is to make the assessments available for parents to see - yet if they don't make the effort, then you've at least tried your best in getting them there. As they say, you can lead a horse to water..... etc etc. ;)

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jan 30, 2007

My question would be why it is necessary to keep so much in a portfolio?

11. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jan 30, 2007

Thanks for all the input...
    Parents can always come in and see their students scores- however, I work in a very urban/low income area and most parents either won't make the effort- or can't physically come to the school. And I have no idea why we have to keep so much in their portfolios- they now want samples of homework as well. It is getting a little out of hand.
    Loves2teach, I never thought of reducing the images...maybe I will do that for the low scores and get them signed- Thanks for all the ideas!

12. Mr. Windchill

Mr. Windchill Rookie

Jan 30, 2007

I return my student's quizzes. The reason for this is I want them to have the quizzes available to study for upcoming chapter tests. If a parents raises a concern, I then make an effort to make copies of the work for the parent while still allowing the child to have the opportunity to have their material for study.

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 31, 2007

Sometimes asking the parents if they want to see it is not enough. Sometimes parents become involved because they see something not because they are going out of their way to find out. If nothing else, it reinforces communication between student and parent. Sometimes it creates extra teachable moments which is always beneficial to the students. If the parents are busy working and making ends meet, I can understand why many would not respond to your invitation.

There is a solution for you (I hope) but just never sending things home and having an invitation extended to me isn't the most productive answer either.

14. PurpleTweety

PurpleTweety Companion

Feb 4, 2007

I have some tests/papers that I am required to keep on file also. What I do is go over the test/quizz etc. in class, discussing what the correct answers are/should have been. Students can then write down in a notebook/looseleaf paper any questions or topics that they need further study or help in.
    At the very least, this means the kids have seen where they made their mistakes and where they need to improve.

15. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Feb 4, 2007

I really can't see the purpose of keeping tests. As a parent I want to see how my child did when the test was taken. For me it would serve no purpose sitting in a portfolio.

16. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Feb 4, 2007

Trust me Emma35, I don't see the purpose either, but we are required to keep them and they are "spot checked" frequently to make sure we have everything in order.
    I decided to only send home only copies of failing grades with a please sign and return note, and sent home a newsletter letter parents know that they could come in and see portfolios or request copies of tests at any time. At least that way no one can complain!