A quick Online math course? (license denied!)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissM920, Aug 3, 2013.

1. MissM920

MissM920 Rookie

Aug 3, 2013

I am thisclose to a job offer and they expedited my license, which was denied. :mad:

In my state there are preliminary, initial and professional license, in that order. Preliminary means you passed the state tests and have "some additional coursework" for Special ed (my area), Initial means you have taken a educator program, professional is when you've been teaching on your initial for 3 years.

I assumed because I have all the coursework (other than student teaching) for my initial license done that I had all of the requirements for a preliminary license completed. Apparently there is a math requirement for the preliminary but not for the initial, which makes NO sense to me :confused: Additionally, I never had to take a math class as an undergrad so I think that may be part of the problem.

Long story short- I need to take a math course. It needs to be a "seminar or courses that address math." (which i assume means teaching math, but could be wrong) Anybody know a good, quick, cheapish online math course that I may be able to quickly take and get this all taken care of?:help:

3. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 3, 2013

What about Phoenix? My friend got her master's from them and she was able to get a job.

Maybe also check local colleges and see if they're offering any summer sessions in August?

4. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2013

Do you just need one course? University of Phoenix has 5 week courses. As for seminars, try Googling where you live and math seminar.

5. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Aug 4, 2013

I like Univ of Phoenix courses...not expensive, they start pretty frequently and they are generally about 6 weeks...you'd be done in no time.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2013

Check 'what counts' toward your certification....not everything does.