A question you should never ask during an interview!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lajoers3, Jun 20, 2010.

1. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Jun 20, 2010

Well today I took my son to a birthday party and whilst I was waiting for him I went to the bookshop across the way and had a browse around. As I was leaving I spotted a book that was titled "301 questions to ask during an interview" (or something like that anyway). It had a bunch of examples of good questions to ask during an interview and several bad examples (and the worst thing is that they were all questions people had actually used in an interview).
    This one caught my eye and made me laugh (please forgive me if it's not exactly word for word but pretty much): Will I get fired if I don't wear underwear because my last employer had a problem with it and I just wanted to get it out in the open in the beginning?:eek: :lol:

3. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 20, 2010

Yea. That would be an immediate DECLINE on this employee. We received a cover letter this year written completely in text language. Um... I think the person was trying to showcase his proficiency in the "new" english. It was a cover letter that went straight in the trash. And that, too, was for real.

4. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jun 20, 2010

yikes, that would probably hurt my eyes to even look at! I think almost anyone in this time can prove proficiency in text speak but a cover letter is soooo not the way to do it!

5. 2cutekiddos

2cutekiddos Companion

Jun 20, 2010

I am not familiar with the term "text language" or "text speak", could you guys enlighten me?

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 20, 2010

ORLY? U R H8N! KTHXBYE!
    (Oh, really? You are hating! OK, thanks, bye!)

Basically, they are shortcuts in language that people might use when texting. Think of Newspeak from 1984 but put its creation in the hands of teenagers instead of politicos.

7. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 20, 2010

U dk txt talk? o gr8 we hv 2 tech u or ull b lost!!!!

I would have laughed at both the underwear and text page. Come on!!!!

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 20, 2010

I'm one of those weirdos who spells out my words fully even when I text (which is rarely). Of course, I also made sure to wear undies AND stockings to job interviews, so perhaps that makes me old fashioned?

9. chessimprov

chessimprov Rookie

Jun 20, 2010

On top of that, texting is a problem in many schools. Putting this in a cover letter leaves the impression that texting is a behavior that will be embraced in a very non-educational manner to say the least.

10. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 20, 2010

You do ?!?!?!?! :eek::eek::eek:

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2010

OMG!!! I can't believe someone would actually ask that question!! :eek: And the txt language in a cover letter is unbelieve! I'm sure he thought he was standing out...and he was...in a BAD way!

12. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jun 20, 2010

Me too. In fact, the only time I use a shortcut of any kind is in two cases. The first is in braille, which has standardized contractions to save space (and which when converted into print become the full form words again). The second is relay phone calls, which have standardized acronyms like GA for "go ahead" and SK for "stop keying." Other than those two cases, I type in full.

I can't believe someone sent in a cover letter in text speak. There's a time and place for everything, and a cover letter is not the time or place for text speak!

13. 2cutekiddos

2cutekiddos Companion

Jun 20, 2010

Thanks for the clarification! As you can tell... I don't text. Just my personal choice. :)

14. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 20, 2010

Ok. I text. I text a lot. I am around teens 24/7. Therefore I learned text speak, but rarely use it except for things like LOL. Which I think I did when I saw that cover letter. That was just before it made its way into my special (garbage) bin.

15. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 20, 2010

I thought I was the only one! :haha:

16. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jun 20, 2010

That is too funny! It reminds me of when I taught in a Catholic school and we had this adorable, fresh out of college, teacher who wore a Mickey Mouse thong with white pants during an all school mass. :eek:

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2010

Same here.

And heaven help the kid who hands in something in text-speak!!

18. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 21, 2010

Get WHAT out in the open?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

19. Groovy

Groovy Companion

Jun 29, 2010

With few exceptions, my texts are spelled out, grammatically correct, with perfect capitalization and punctuation. (My left thumb, which was slothful all through typing class, is now getting a real workout! Whew!)

Best to you.