A question for parents...

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Butterfly4, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Aug 30, 2007

I have an infant/toddler question...

At what approximate age do you move a child from a crib into a toddler bed or big bed? Is there something that tells you when they are ready?

Thanks

3. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Aug 30, 2007

Some one gave me the advice that you move them when they can climb out of them! (You don't want them toppling over onto the floor).

Other advice, is keep them in a cot for as long as you can, initially they can be in and out of bed many times and they can wake very early when you're just not ready to get up!

I think it depends on the child. My son hated his cot so he went into a bed very early. I took the legs off the bed and put cushions around it so if he fell out he had a soft fall. Then I bought a bed guard that slips under the mattress. However, I would let all my children go to sleep without the bed guard, I figured that in their subconscious, they would think that there is nothing to stop them falling out of bed and stay away from the edge. I would put the guard rail on once they were asleep.

We also made a big fuss about going into big beds, and don't forget the waterproof sheet!

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2007

yes, when they start climbing out! this is something they do because their limbs become stronger and coordination is better. (cognitive skills at work too...hmmm...I wonder if???" so to keep your sanity and their safety, the minute they start climbing ..it's time to get a regular bed! My daughter had an older crib, and she use to rock back and forth until it fell down! Then she just stepped out, and waltz into our room..smiling!

5. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Aug 31, 2007

how old roughly when they start climbing out?

6. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2007

My son could climb out at maybe 20 or 21 months or so. Maybe a tad later, my memory is awful! But he is just 25 months now and he still sleeps in his crib because, although he is physically capable of climbing out, he doesn't. We have never used the crib to "contain" him. We put him to bed when he is tired and he lays down and goes to sleep. When he wakes up in the morning he lies/stands there awake until we come get him or he calls out, (Usually "I want milk, mommy!" :lol:) and I come right away.

I haven't decided yet if we will get a toddler bed or maybe just ultimately put his mattress on the floor. The "big boy bed" we have for him is really tall because it has a big trundle drawer underneath and I'm not comfortable having up up that high yet.

7. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Aug 31, 2007

Thanks everyone for your help!

8. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Sep 1, 2007

My son was almost 3 (maybe 32-33 months) before I moved him to a toddler bed. But we didn't have anyone else waiting for the crib, either. I've noticed that when there's another baby on the way, kids tend to get moved a little earlier because the parents need the crib. I was moved because my parents needed the crib (I was about 22 months.)

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2007

Yeah, forgot about the finances, room arragnements and your own peace of mind...

some people get a bassinette, crib, toddler bed, regular bed, and then bunk beds.

others get hand-me-down bed (yours truly) and just buy a twin bed when they get older.

they even have converted-a-bed, that will turn into a toddler bed.

if you are starting or planning a big family...it's cheaper to buy bunk beds. you can always separate them. most of us don't want them climbing up the ladder anymore. but it just a better package that some fancy bedroom set for one child.

be careful of recalls, bumpers, and mobiles. things we had for years which are just a big no-no now! you can't even putting them near the window! kids have died choking on curtain cords!

yes, don't forget waterproof pads, rubber sheets.

you will need them maybe until age 10! save your money, don't spend too much on Disney sheet sets! the characters go out of style, and you could have bought a zillion white sheets for the same price!

well, some of them anyway..

my child wanted a Winnie the Pooh comforter and sheet set for her college dorm!

10. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 2, 2007

I moved my first to a bed when she was 15 months old - with rails, of course. I was due with #2 in 2 months, and I didn't want for it to seem as if I was stealing the crib from the toddler to give to the baby.

The second one, I moved to a bed when she was 17 months because we moved, and it was just more convenient to set up a bed right from the start than to do a crib for only 3-4 months and then have to go to a bed.

The third one...pretty much the same story. We moved. She got a bed in the new house (had been sharing a room with hubby and me until then, so we could only fit a crib). She was 16 months.

Mine never crawled out. As a matter of fact, until they were four or so, mine never realized that they could get out of bed without me. Even without rails, they'd lay in bed and call me until I came and got them. My baby is now four and she still does this. I never have told them they can't get out of bed when they wake up, but they just don't, and I'm grateful for it. No mischief in their rooms while I'm assuming they are asleep!
    Kim

11. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Sep 2, 2007

I really appreciate everyone's input.

My husband and I just began the paperwork to adopt a child from Guatemala. The paperwork and "red tape" takes a while, so it will be around a year before we bring anyone home. The child will probably be around one when we bring him/her home.

I am a preschool teacher and very competent with 3..4..5 yr olds...but a little bit shaky with younger. I wasn't sure if we would need a crib or toddler bed at one. I see it depends on the child, which for us will be difficult because we won't know too much about them. I guess we will go with a crib for a while at least. Hopefully we can find a cheap one somewhere...hate to spend a lot on one that we may only need for a few months.

Thanks again for everyones help!!

12. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 2, 2007

Can you borrow a crib from a friend? I loaned mine to several people, and now that I'm SURE we are done, I've given it to our secretary's daughter, who has two kids under two, and needs two cribs. Or, try a consignment shop. I know that the shop I've consigned items with does a safety check on all equipment, so they couldn't/wouldn't sell one that was rickety, old, or out of date.

If worse comes to worse, you could get a pack and play for short term...but, heck, those things sometimes cost as much as the cheapest crib! Our crib was the bare-bones Jenny Lind model and it cost about $100 bucks (9 years ago).

Kim

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2007

honestly, you really don't want a cheap crib! even handme downs have to be carefully looked over...they talk about lead paint, and the slats being too far apart..choking hazards.

hate to give everyone nightmares..but this is the truth!...

spend good money on a safe crib...get cheap sheets from Target or Wal-Mart!

and when you are ready for number two, get some nice books on the subject..

I think the Bearstein Bears has one about "My Crib" Brother Bear has to give up his crib for little Sister Bear.

Peter's Chair is another good one. Peter has to give up his bed for his new sister, and he gets mad and takes his chair so he can keep it. But he realizes he is too small for it!

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2007

Congratulations... it will be the best decision of your life!!!

My 9 year old son was adopted from Korea... he arrived when he was 7 months old. It was an amazing experience. And one of the guys at work (the one who gave me the agency reccommendation) adopted his now-16-year-old son from Guatemala-- Tommy is now a Junior in our school.

Please let me know if I can answer any questions, or if you need a sounding board on the whole adoption thing.

As to your question: lots of cribs now can change into toddler beds. That may be the way to go for you... you can decide which formation works once you get the paperwork on the child.

My real advice is to hold off. When you get the placement, you'll have a much better idea of you child's age and ability levels.

For now, concentrate on names :) (We kept Brian's Korean name to use as his middle name. ) And do that paperwork as fast as you can!

edited to add: this isn't a recommendation, but here's what I meant about the crib: http://www.toysrus.com/product/inde...&cp=2255986.2256245.2256274&parentPage=family If you click on each of the pictures, they show how it can change from a crib to a toddler bed to a day bed.

More unrelated advice: for Christmas, have somebody get you:
    --The Tigger Movie on DVD or VHS-- Tigger goes off in search of his family tree. He desperately wants to find other tiggers. In the end, of course, he realizes that family is the people who love you.

--"A Mother for Choko" by Keiku Kazka (my spelling is probably off.) Similar story... Choko (a bird) wants to find his mom. He is sure that him mom will look just like him, yet all the people who look at all like him want nothing to do with him. In the end, he is adopted by Mrs. Bear.
    I read that story to Brian's Kindergarten class when we celebrated his "Gotcha Day" that year. It was a wonderful time to talk about adoption and what it means... One of Brian's classmates, who was adopted from Russia, was also a part of the day.

15. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2007

Master Pre-K, I have to disagree. Our local consignment shop will only sell cribs that meet current safety requirements - including lead paint. They test the width of the slats and they have a lead paint test kit that they use on each piece of furniture/equipment. They have a book/listing of current requirements for all toys and equipment and they check each piece against each requirement before taking the item to sell. I've watched more than one person with a walker get turned away because the walker's width didn't meet current safety requirements. And, hopefully, if you're buying or borrowing it from a friend, you'd have a good idea about how old it is (if you don't, ASK!). Crib safety requirements have not changed in the past 7 years, so any crib purchased within that time frame will be as current as one you'd buy at Babies R Us. I'd check it carefully for chew marks and the ease of the sliding mechanism for the sliding side, however.

As far as spending a lot on a crib, the basic, bare-bones model will be as safe as the high-end model. They have to be, or they can't be sold. They may not have as many bells and whistles, but really, all a baby needs is a warm, safe, comfy spot to sleep. Babies don't need vibrating cribs, or cribs that convert to 8 other pieces of furniture!

And I've always thought those that convert to toddler beds are impractical UNLESS you know this is going to be your only baby. Just about the time you're ready to convert it, you'll most likely need the crib again for baby #2 and you'll find yourself purchasing a bed anyway. I skipped the whole toddler bed thing and put all of my girls in full size twin beds right from the crib. With rails, of course. It made more sense for me than buying yet another piece of furniture that would be used for 2 years or less. My almost 9 year old is still in the bed we moved her into at 15 months, and I expect she'll be there until she leaves us for college!
    Kim

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2007

To be honest, that's what happened to us: after 9 years of trying to get (and stay) pregnant, we adopted Brian. Six months later I was pregnant with Julia.

But it's a no harm/no foul situation. You have options with that piece of furniture... do you want it to be a crib or toddler bed? Ours stayed a crib for the first 2 kids. (Then I got rid of it... and got pregnant again:whistle:)

But I think it's a great option for someone unsure of the age or abilites of the baby she'll be adopting.

17. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Sep 3, 2007

I moved my daughter at about 17 months, mainly because I was pregnant for my second who was due when she would be approx 19 months. For me, this was just more practical. She went into a double bed and I had a rail that attached on the side so she wouldn't fall out. She wasn't a climber or a wanderer, so that wasn't an issue for me. In our house, moving to a bed wasn't a big deal and it was a very natural transition. I think it really depends on the child and your particular situation. I wouldn't say there is any set rule.

18. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2007

My daughter went from a crib straight to a big bed. She received the bed for Christmas(which just happens to be her bday too)...and she was in it when she was 3. After being in it for almost a year, I think she has fallen out only once.

19. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Sep 3, 2007

We moved our daughter to a big bed when she was about 14 months old. We happened to move at that time and so we just set the big bed up for her. Actually she slept on the mattress and boxspring on the floor for a week and when we found her still in bed each morning, we knew it was okay to put it on the frame. It was a very easy segue.

20. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2007

ok kim...I hear you...

you know my kid will be 24 this year!

21. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2007

I think it really depends on the child. My oldest went into a twin bed with a rail when she was 13 months old. My second would still be sleeping in her baby bed today (she is 16 years old) if it were up to her. I tried to move her out of the baby bed at 14 months old when I was 6 months pregnant for my 3rd child. My DH and I quickly realized this was not going to work and let her have her baby bed back and bought a 2nd crib for the 3rd child. I got rid of both baby beds and put the last 2 in toddler beds at the same time when they were 5 and 3 years old.

22. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2007

My son was in a regular twin bed by the time be turned two. We never went with a toddler bed, waste of $$$, IMO.

23. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2007

kinda like training wheels on a two-wheel bike...

lots of folks are skipping that step too!