a question about this topic of CBEST essay

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by juiceitup, Jun 16, 2006.

1. juiceitup

juiceitup Rookie

Jun 16, 2006

The topic is

Many recent high school graduates discover that despite possessing a high school deploma, they have no specific skills to enable them to obtain employment. Explain your feeling about introducing a "vocational skills program" as an alternative choice to the academic high school curriculum.

Questions
    1) the "vocational skills program" and "the academic high school curriculum", only one of them need to be chosen? In other words, if the writer writes to support the vocational skills program, she/he needs to be the opponent of the academic high school curriculum? or the vocational skills program is an additional choice for high school academic curriculum?

2) do we need to really introduce one specific vocational skills program?

Thanks for answering!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 16, 2006

1) Alternative choice generally means 'another option available'; it certainly doesn't mean that someone who favors making vocational skills available would want academic education to be unavailable.

2) No, you don't need to get really specific about the form that the vocational skills program would take, though it wouldn't hurt to list some examples by way of making points about why vocational skills education would be useful for many students and the best choice for more than a few.

4. juiceitup

juiceitup Rookie

Jun 16, 2006

Thanks for your reply

I'm sure about (2)

but for (1), I still have some doubt.

If I support vocational skills program, it won't crash with the academic high school curriculum, right? Like interesting activities, students can make it as an additional activity as well as learning academic curriculum, right?

So can I write like this?

I support the vocational skills program in high school, because it provides students more options for future job opportunities; it increases students' self-confidence; and it offers students a chance to learn how to manage time.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 16, 2006

Sure, that works. You can lead into it by telling a little story (feel free to make one up) about a kid who wasn't well served by a purely academic program, to make a clear connection back to the prompt (the essay question) as it is stated. Then your subsequent paragraphs develop the three points you've mentioned, and you may certainly keep making the point that this is in addition to, not instead of, academics.

Since you're asked for your feeling in so many words, it's okay to say "I support", but if the prompt just asks you to argue for or against, just state what needs to be done and then support it.

6. juiceitup

juiceitup Rookie

Jun 16, 2006

Thanks so much!!! :)

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 16, 2006

You're welcome. Write it up and find someone to evaluate it for you, please.

8. juiceitup

juiceitup Rookie

Jun 16, 2006

Sure, I'm doing that and will continue following your suggestion.

Have a nice weekend!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 17, 2006

You, too, juice.

The more writing you do and get evaluated and redo, the better you'll get.