A question about role models

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by Phebemarie, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Phebemarie

Phebemarie New Member

Sep 17, 2006

I work in a small, rural district and lately I've been feeling troubled about something I've overheard from some of my students.

My students told me that on a trip one of my colleagues indulged in wine and became tipsy enough to say something ridiculous in front of them. Also it seems that coaches returning from an away football game have indulged in beer while having pizza with the team.

Am I mistaken to think this is really wrong? Of course kids know we're human, but I think modeling this kind of behavior is unethical at the very least.

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2006

Seems wrong to me. What's the matter with those teachers/coaches???
    One of the teachers that I work closely with displays terrible table manners, sopping her gravy up with bread and making hot dish into sandwiches...it makes me sick, but what do ya do...
    Adults are not perfect and we all enjoy our social lives and indulgences, but we need to do it when the kids are not in our care or where they might be able to see us. Shame on those teachers.

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 17, 2006

I wouldn't feel comfortable drinking alcohol in front of my students period, never mind while at a school function while "on duty." That seems very wrong to me.

5. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Sep 17, 2006

Some coaches at a nearby high school were FIRED because during an overnight trip they were drinking beer in their room. The school and district had a problem with it because they were supervising the trip.

6. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Sep 17, 2006

Seems like it would be obvious that any school personell should not drink alcohol while supervising students or even just being around them (like after a sports event). Aren't you still technically "on the job"? I'm pretty sure it's in my contract that I can't consume alcohol at school or anywhere where there is a school function (defined by a gathering of one or more students).

If you need a drink so badly that you think it's okay to do it in front of students, you either need to be fired or go to AA (or both!).

7. Phebemarie

Phebemarie New Member

Sep 17, 2006

Thank you for your thoughtful replies. The issue is not something I feel comfortable discussing with other teachers at school. I didn't think I was alone in feeling outraged by my colleagues' behavior.

The students who shared this info are smart enough to know drinking in front of them is wrong. Why is it so difficult for the adults in the situation to figure it out?

8. pets_teacher

pets_teacher Rookie

Sep 17, 2006

Drinking while supervising students is not only irresponsible, it's just plain moronic. You open yourself and your district to liability issues that are easily avoidable. I'm with you all the way.

9. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Sep 18, 2006

I am funny about drinking anything that looks remotely like an alcoholic beverage. I am always afraid of what people will think.
    I remember when I got older and started going to bars I would see one of my former teachers there. I began to think less of her. Now that I am a teacher I will not even set foot in one of those places.

10. mnteacherguy

mnteacherguy Companion

Sep 18, 2006

Why do you think less of people who drink? Isn't that a personal choice we make as ADULTS? Yes, drinking in front of students or while on duty is professionally unethical, but drinking off-duty in a bar, when of age is completely fine. I know almost 25% of the teachers and some adminstrators who go out for happy hour every friday

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2006

Some of my students have seen me with a beer or a glass of wine in front of me (when I have run into them while in a restaurant), but I would never think to have a drink while working, which is what we are doing whenever we are supervising students.

12. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Sep 18, 2006

I know of a coach who lost his job for having enjoyed the fruit of the grape while on an overnight team trip. It's just not very intelligent to imbibe around students.

13. wunderwhy

wunderwhy Comrade

Sep 19, 2006

It is absolutely unethical and unprofessional.

There is an outdoor concert series where a few students have seen me drinking. I don't think I need to go out of my way to change my behavior in my free time, but I also realize that it is a dicey situation. One student (a senior, I had him as a sophomore) who works at the concert series even offered to get me free alcohol tickets. Of course, I am of age, but somehow I could just see the headline: "Student Plies Teacher With Alcohol: Teacher Asked To Resign." I said no thank you. He seemed really confused and kept asking me why, so finally I said, next summer after you've graduated, if you want to give me a few tickets, that's ok. He said, "Oh, ok, so you're worried the school will get in trouble." In my mind I thought, "No you nitwit, I'm worried I'LL get in trouble," but I just kept my mouth shut. Not to mention that he would probably lose his job if he got caught, but that's a whole different story.