A question about MOOSE binders

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by pwhatley, Jul 31, 2009.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 31, 2009

I'm all set - I bought two cases of 1" black binders, created the labels for the front - they will be T.I.G.E.R.! binders (Today I've Got Everything Ready!). I already have the vinyl pencil pouches, pocket folders, sheet protectors and labels. My only real question is...

How do you handle them in the mornings, when the kiddos are coming in? Do they have a designated place to put their binders, and you go through them all at some point during the day? Do they keep them at their desks? (I'm thinking that with first graders, this is not a good idea.)

I really appreciate any advice you can offer!

3. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 31, 2009

I don't do the binder thing, but I have a bin that my kids turn their agendas into. I started it at toward the end of the year. They come in turn in their agenda and HW and I check them off as they are working and hand them back to them before the end of the day. It saved me a few minutes of time and we were able to get started a bit quicker. I teach 4th and I know that a few of the 3rd teachers do this as well.

4. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Aug 1, 2009

The kindergarten rooms at our school have a shelf where the binders are stored during the day and then the classroom aide would add papers and homework to the binder before the end of the day. I teach fifth and normally have my students put their open agendas on their desk in the morning for me to check and then they are put in their backpacks until the end of the day when they write in their homework. Your decision most likely depends on how much time you will spend looking at the binders during the day.

5. wrigleyroo

wrigleyroo Rookie

Aug 1, 2009

We check in the binders in the morning. Students stamp their assignment book that's inside the binder where their parent signs. When we could use 1" binders, they went into their mailboxes. (had them made to fit the binder) Now, they go into their cubbies which are where they hang up their backpacks and coats. I wouldn't let my kids keep them in their desk even if we had room. :)

6. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 1, 2009

We used these while I was student teaching... mind you, I taught the second half of the year-so what they did leading up to this I am un aware of. BUT, I can imagine that with our class (a lower second grade) there were weeks of working up to the responsibility.

The kids put away their coats/backpacks/etc.
    Got out the folders, and emptied them out onto their desks. Homework stayed on the desk.
    Messages to the teachers bin.
    Binders away in the desk.

We would though we saying/calling out (as they came in...not individually) items that MAY be included: "Notes from home, PTO forms, Baggie Books, AtoZ Readers, Oooops Sheets, Behavior Notes, Lunch Sheets, Homework....." Inevitably there were a few very organized souls who would absent-mindedly be saying items before I got to them. Thank God for them. They were my reminder-kids. (But it was funny...as I would say them out loud you would see kids go "Oh Yeah!" and dive back in to get them out or run back to their back-packs to retrieve them.

Our goal was to be finished with all the commotion and be ready to go when the announcements/pledge came across the P.A. system. SOME DAYS there was a bonus stamp, point, incentive given to those who finished on time...or the table cluster who was "standing tall" (finished first).

Whoa the table that had Peter.. this purposely slow, OVERLY-silly boy who didn't do ANYTHING with out an "oh YEEEEAAAHHHH! *Snort Snort!*" Never quite came to love Peter. (It took the teachers quite a while to be able to get through to Peter's Mom that "look. See? Other second grade moms don't walk their children inside and help them empty out their backpacks. He'll be fine - please leave him at the school door..)

7. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2009

During the 1st part of the year, I checked their folders in the mornings during their morning jobs and was usually done before announcements. I gradually gave them responsibility for checking their own folders and they would put homework in a certain spot, notes to me in a certain basket and they knew to go take their lunch money to the cafe. By mid-year, I did not have to even open their folders.