A Q For The Lady Teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mariecurie, Jun 29, 2013.

1. mariecurie

mariecurie Companion

Jun 29, 2013

I wanted to ask the lady teachers out there what your thoughts are on skirt length. Below, at, or above the knee (and how far above)? It's so hard to find teacher appropriate skirts out there! I'm a first year teacher who needs to do a major wardrobe overhaul, but I have to keep it thrifty. I personally think knee-length or longer is appropriate - I get nervous if it's too much higher than that.

The other thing I hate is never being able to find white tank tops that have higher necklines to cover cleavage.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2013

Nothing shorter than fingertip length.... I go just a bit longer than fingertip...( I have long arms...this is not a comfortable length for some) I don't like anything longer than knee length unless it's a 'maxi'.:2cents:

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2013

I think knee length is appropriate, but I do have a few dresses that are a little above my knees (just an inch or two). I sometimes even feel uncomfortable in those and usually end up changing if I'm questioning the length at all. But some of the teachers at my school wear some dresses and skirts that I think are way too short.

Especially in middle school I would say that you should definitely make sure everything is knee length or longer.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 29, 2013

I like my skirts and dresses right at the knee or just above it. That's what I'm most comfortable wearing in my non-teaching life too!

I buy tank tops at Old Navy. I ALWAYS wear a tank top! I buy them in white, tan, grey, black, and other various colors. I like them a lot, very comfortable.

6. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jun 29, 2013

I tend to try for at the knee on skirts and dresses. I have a couple that fall into the fingertip length range, but I always wear them with leggings or tights for extra coverage. I tend to wear tights a lot actually in general! It just helps me feel more comfortable when teaching in a skirt/dress.

As far as undershirts go, I buy the ones that have adjustable straps so that I can make them go a little higher in my school life that I would in my private life. The ones I like the most actually are from Walmart and run at around $7.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2013

Knee length is always appropriate. In some settings, with some body types, and with some skirt types, shorter than that is fine. I'd say that it's better to err on the side of more conservative than less. You can always add shorter skirts to your wardrobe once you see how most people dress at your new school.

8. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2013

I always wear knee length skirts or just above the knee. I have a really hard time finding tank tops that are high enough too. I get the ones with the adjustable straps and no built in bra so I can hike them up as high as they'll go, but they still end up riding down during the day. I try to get really high-neck shirts if I can but I know it is hard to find those. I only have a couple that I don't need to wear anything under.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2013

I prefer knee length.

I have short legs. Calf-length or longer skirts make me look really dumpy. I also prefer pencil skirts or the occasional a-line. Fuller skirts are not flattering on me.

The fingertip length rule won't work for me unless you want to see my undies. I'm 5'7" tall, but I only have a 28" inseam. I'm all torso. When I put my arms at my sides, my fingertips aren't even past my butt cheeks.

I have trouble finding tanks that are long enough for me. I have lots of the adjustable straps just to make them long enough. I'm usually trying to cover midriff, not cleavage. (I'm well-endowed, but I don't tend to have cleavage issues.)

10. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Jun 30, 2013

Oops, sorry. Wrong room. (Exits, stage left, slightly flushed)

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 30, 2013

I think knee length or an inch above would be the best length. Unless you're getting everything altered, sit down in the dressing room, bend over, raise your arms, etc. to see how comfortable the length is. The cut of a skirt will often determine the length for me.

If a skirt is full, I wear bicycle shorts underneath. Wind + bus duty+ full skirts = it's better to be safe than sorry.

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2013

The dress code at my school is skirts must go to the top of the back of the knee. I'm short, so anything past the knee (unless it's a maxi) makes me look weird.

For an overhaul - go to a Goodwill in a nice area of town - you'll find a lot of good quality, professional skirts and slacks in very good condition. If you can hem, you're in good shape.

I also find that Old Navy's Tankini tanks cover up cleavage and don't stretch out during the day.

13. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 30, 2013

I think knee length or longer is safest. You can go above the knee sometimes, but it just depends on your body type and the cut of the skirt. Leggings can be a good option for dresses that are just a bit too short, but not super short. Also, buy a few tank tops and camis to wear under shirts, they come in handy!

14. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jun 30, 2013

I do knee length. I also don't like to wear extremely tight skirts that show too much of my "curves". I usually wear an a-line skirt with a nice blouse or dressy tee.

I also have trouble finding tanks that cover the chest. Mine is pretty large (DDD), so any tank top that looks "work appropriate" on the hanger immediately becomes "cleavage city" when I put it on. Dang boobs!

15. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Jun 30, 2013

I follow my mom's words of wisdom! She always said, "If there is a question in your mind as to whether it is is inappropriate, then it probably is."

16. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jun 30, 2013

:agreed:

Also, to find cheap skirts, places like Ross or Marshalls (not sure if those are west coast chains) or even thrift stores usually have good skirts. I get A LOT of skirts from thrift stores.

17. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 30, 2013

If there is a chair or couch outside of the dressing room, go sit in that also.

Think about how you typically move, in addition to the above suggestions, squat.

18. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 30, 2013

Agreed.

Unfortunately, I never have this problem. Having to restrain and/or sit on the floor with students as often as I do, it's not worth it to try wearing a skirt. I only get to wear them on PD days or my outside of school life. :|

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2013

To the knee.

20. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 30, 2013

If you can bend over and no one can see your panties by a few inches, then it is long enough. ;)

I'm with teacherintexas... knee length or an inch (or two) above is short enough.

21. muinteoir

muinteoir Companion

Jun 30, 2013

Knee or ankle length.
    Above the knee is too short for me. Between the knee ankle just makes me look dumpy.

22. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 30, 2013

I wear skirts above the knee and it's not an issue. I have a long torso and long legs. I follow the fingertip rule and don't bend over in a skirt, ever.

23. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jun 30, 2013

If you plan to wear Spanx or anything similar under a skirt make sure nothing can be seen if you need to kneel or bend over.

24. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 30, 2013

I like for my skirts to be long and flowy, preferably to my ankles because the students spend a lot of time on the carpet for whole group and read-a-louds, and whenever I wear something shorter than that, I have to keep my knees pressed together the entire time so the kids can't see up my dress. Even then, depending on the angle, they can still get a view.

At first I used to just wear shorts under knee-length or above skirts, then a child said to me, "I like your black shorts Ms. Catz" so I decided to go longer.

It sounds severe to wear such long skirts, but I make sure to get breathable fabric and when the kids aren't in my room or I'm sitting at my desk/reading table, if I'm hot, I pull my skirt up to about my knees to get some air. :blush:

25. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2013

I don't wear skirts often to school, but when I do they are knee length or longer.

26. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 30, 2013

I have never worn a skirt to school since a mishap with a student. I was wearing a long maxi skirt and a student came up to me and took my skirt like a towel and wiped his face in it after recess.:eek:hmy: It took all of 3 seconds and was totally unexpected.

27. indigo-angel

indigo-angel Companion

Jun 30, 2013

I prefer my skirts to be knee exactly length. Shorter than that is unprofessional to me, and longer skirts are harder for me to move around in. I've been known to slam longer skirts into doors, get stuff stuck on them, or have the hem unravel on me. Maybe I'm just clumsy.

28. 1cubsfan

1cubsfan Companion

Jul 1, 2013

Tank top tip: there are sources online to buy "full coverage" tank tops. But they are usually expensive. Sometimes I wear them backwards because they are higher in the back. This only works in the kind without tags. Other times, when shirts have a built in shelf bra, sometimes you can flip the bra part up to make it higher. On some tanks in looks weird, but on some it looks fine. I especially like to do this because there is elastic to keep it from falling away when I lean over.