A Pre-K day

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by gpsysngbrd, Aug 1, 2008.

1. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Aug 1, 2008

2 weeks until my new class officially starts Pre-K. Need some opinions.

1) Job chart. Whats your opinion of having a job chart in Pre-K. Used to have one that was changed every week but it was a pain because not everyone comes full time -- of course I have since discovered the "substitute" job. So this past year we did not use one in our classroom. Part of me really likes not having the chart because the kids help just because they want to, not because they have to. On the other hand, 4 year olds have an "all about me" attitude and they are SO excited to have a job...depending what it is ;)

What do you do?

2) I have posted about this before but I am still struggling with that part of the day after lunch before nap when we are cleaning up from lunch. Kids looking at books only keeps them entertained for so long.

Thanks in advance
    Katie

3. Prekfreak

Prekfreak Rookie

Aug 1, 2008

Jobs. I tried in the beginning but really struggled with so many kids being gone that it became more work than it fun for the kids. So I just do line leader and caboose and go alphabetically down the list. Ashley line leader, Brent caboose. Tomorrow, Brent caboose, Cathy line leader. I just wrote everyone's name on a separate sheet of paper, ringed them together and flip to the next person each day.

Between lunch and nap we have a class wide bathroom break. That way I know that everyone has had a chance to go to the restroom. I will often take letters or numbers out in the hall and quiz kids as they wait for their turn or to go back to class. Then you might have them get their items (blanket, bear, etc.) lay down and you read them a book or listen to a book on tape.

4. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Aug 1, 2008

i do jobs and they are switched every day. My jobs are line leader, caboose, calendar, weather, teacher's helper, day off, messenger, attendance---but we only have fulltime spots---teacher's helper is the one that does the substitute.

5. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Aug 2, 2008

I have one "Leader of the Day". This is easier for both me and the students. I have a page on my website all about how I operate the LOTD program in my classroom.

We don't have naps in my program.

6. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 2, 2008

Jobs are a huge part of both my classroom and morning circle time. I have a small pocket chart with both pictures and printed names of meaningful jobs and clothespins with each child's name. I rotate the pins weekly.

The kids LOVE it. Every Monday they run to the chart to check on the jobs. Everyone has a job and the "Absent Student Helper" picks up the slack for absent students.

I have the usual Line Leader. I also have the Pledge Leader, Prayer Leader (private school), Daily Message Reporter (more than 1), Weather Reporter, Clean-Up Announcer (rings the bell), Playground Helper, Cubby Checker, Electrician, Door/Gate Holder and Song Selecter.

From the job pocket chart they "read" L to R, identify each others names, are exposed to print, and gain a great sense of community and responsibility.

7. gracieh

gracieh Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

we start out with just a couple jobs leader, caboose and teacher helper... in Nov. I add weather person, door holders, etc. they love it!

8. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2008

I'm planning on a "helper of the day." During my kinder student teaching, we had a "leader of the day" and I'm going to go with that (just change leader to helper) because it was simple on me and simple on the children.

9. KarenPreK

KarenPreK Companion

Aug 6, 2008

Like Vanna, I have one leader of the day, & that child helps with everything. It is SO much easier. I used to have about 9 helpers & its so hard to keep up with, the kids never remember their jobs, & it takes up part of our class time just to do the helper chart. With one leader, the kids always remember their job.