A Pep Talk

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 19, 2009

I spent all day with a friend. I love this friend. We're becoming better friends all the time-it started out that she was just the girlfriend of my dh's best friend. But we're hanging out more than dh and HIS friend.

Anyhow, we spent all day running around to boutiques in the city, trying to sell her jewelry wholesale. It's beautiful jewelry-she hand illustrates the designs and then cuts them out of wood on a laser cutter. The boutiques are perfect places to promote it.

She, however, has NO PR sense. I want to just take over, but alas, it is not my business. I had to watch her slink into each boutique, revert to this airy baby talk and stutter her way through her speech. Every once in a while I would walk by and interject her success statistics, or mention other great pointers that she totally left out.

On top of all that, she spent two weeks designing a beautiful brochure to pass out with all her designs and prices. When I went to pick her up this morning, she did not have ANY printed. She printed five while we waited, and ran out half-way through the day. So we stopped at a shady copy store in the heart of the Mission, and the guy spent a half hour making terrible copies, and then tried to scam her on the price (50 bucks for 10 copies? No.). She was about to pay it! I practically jumped over the counter. I argued with him for a good three minutes-waaaaay too long-before he saw I was serious. He kept trying to tell me he wasn't dealing with me, he was dealing with my friend, because she is such a pushover and was actually handing her credit card to him. I got him down to $30, but still! That's ridiculous! That's business money! Be prepared, think ahead and have confidence in yourself.

I just feel like pulling aside the next person I see and giving them a pep talk about confidence and self-respect. If you are going to sell yourself and your products, SELL THEM! Walk in and say 'how many should I send over tomorrow?'. Don't kick at the ground with your toe while talking to the counter about how your website is under construction right now, and e-mail is the best way to reach you, but ok, if you insist I'll write my phone number down.....

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

3. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Mar 19, 2009

Have you given her the PEP TALK?
    Do it!:D
    Rebel1

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 19, 2009

I agree! There's a right way to communicate anything to anyone. Without looking pushy, if you really want to help this friend of yours out, give HER a good pep talk & help motivate her to walk tall & make those potential retailers want to buy her jewelry!

5. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 19, 2009

I know when I started with public speaking, I had to pretend I was someone else-because I couldn't see myself doing something like that. Acting helped. i pretended to be a great salesperson. thinking, "How would SHE handle this situation?" and then imitate what i thought she would do.

Secondly... for me, I can't "sell" anything unless I BELIEVE in it. Does she? Why or why not? (If the answer is she doesn't...what does she have to do TO believe in it!)

MY ex and my friends' ex helped us as we went into business selling/putting together and delivering gift baskets for new parent, business, and holiday gifts (we did this for about 4 years).

Her ex was a salesmen who would suggest we ask "what could I do to help you decide to buy these TODAY?"

And my ex used to say -when dealing with people, like the copy shop man- you just keep saying, "No, that's not acceptable"..until you get your way. and NEVER be afraid to walk out. THEY need YOUR business WAY more than you need them."

Not good husbands...but good business advice.

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 20, 2009

Ha! Well, she believes in the product because it's hers. She's worked really hard on it, and they really are beautiful. She just needs to stand up straight, put some energy into her voice and sell. But I'm not sure I'm at the point where I can tell her this. I don't want to be pushy. I'm waaaaaaaaaaay more outgoing than she is, which is why she brings me along and has me work the craft shows with her.

Here's her site, btw. Her stuff is awesome: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5106856

7. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 20, 2009

oooohhhh pretty stuff; thanks for the link...she sure knows how to write a good page...now to transfer that to her verbal skills!
    I agree...a positive pep talk will benefit her; maybe she just needs to be reminded of how great her work is and maybe some role playing? Before my son does his presentations before his classes; I have him practice in front of me.

8. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 20, 2009

Try this with her...A personal trainer did this with me once...and I swear I think about it all the time. ESPECIALLY when in a situation of selling myself (as she needs to do).

He said... "Stand up straight. Show me straight."

So I did.

He said, "you think that's straight? that THAT is good posture? Let me show you good posture...and it'll change your way of life. "

(1) "First, you are sticking your butt out. Women-if they are told to stand up straight will -without thinking- stick their butts back and their spine forms a cresent shape backwards. It's not good for your back, for your core, and it really doesn't look nice. Standing straight- you should rock your pelvis a bit under. It straightens the spine and makes you instantly tighten your core muscles-making you look thinner-and without the big butt look. - As an added bonus, you are working your abs- and that means a flatter stomach."

2) "Next- when standing straight -don't hyper extend you knees backwards. It places a lot of stress on your legs and actually tires you out."

3) "I know you think your shoulders are back...but they are actually hunched a bit. Here- let me put the side of my hand straight up and down between your shoulders blades. Now I want you to try to squeeze my hand with your shoulder blades. NOW THAT is shoulders back... and it changes your WHOLE frame. INSTANT confidence. An instant aura of uplift and 'I want to meet this woman!' You come in the room-whether it be social or business and heads WILL turn."

4) "LAST... hang on let me do this (and he stuck his finger in his mouth and got it really wet and drippy [ick!] and then extended it slowly as if he was going to touch it to my chin - my head instantly shifted back to avoid the touch.) AH, there you go. Too many people tend to stand with their shoulders hunched and their heads jutted forward. Chin back."

"NOW, you are standing TOTALLY straight. Your spine is in alignment, you look totally different. The confidence you exhibit when you are TRULY standing up straight shoots up 250%."

Try it. It DOES work.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 20, 2009

Pretty things. My sister is in business with a friend- they make hair accessories. They did the big gift show and fall accessories show at the Javitz center in NYC this year. I think a lot of artists are like your friend, Jem. She's an artist, not a salesperson. We all have areas in which we can improve- no one is an expert at everything. Maybe you could suggest Toastmasters- I know it works for people in improving their self-confidence and speaking.

10. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 20, 2009

Thanks for adding the link. Beautiful work!

I'm not into jewelry myself...but my daughter would LOVE it!

I'll pass it on.

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 20, 2009

Czacza-you're absolutely right. She is an artist first. Toastmasters is an excellent idea. I think rehearsing before we go out is a great idea as well. I'll give her a call this weekend and chat about future options.

12. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Mar 20, 2009

Love the jewelry! Very versatile! I will keep it in mind-- I like to have different pieces.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 20, 2009

I like your friend's style!