a parent who complains about every aspect of our school

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by PEteacher07, Sep 9, 2010.

1. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Sep 9, 2010

We had a new child move into our neighborhood and the mother causing a multitude of problems for our school. Dad works out of town so he isn't around much.

Her son didn't bring lunch money so what our very nice cafeteria manager does is put a stamp on the child's hand as a reminder. It's a cheerful stamp that isn't meant to be degrading or mean in any way. The mother said that the stamp wasn't appropriate and that a private note should have been sent home. She keeps saying the word "privacy" an awful lot. They aren't saying out loud his grades in front of others, the cafeteria isn't yelling "bring your lunch money." and we aren't proclaiming his medical needs out loud.

Our PE curriculem called the CATCH curriculum states that at least half the activities done in the gym should be vigorous exercise to raise the heart rate. We do a lot of running, locomotor movements, tag games, etc so the kids can get lots of exercise. The child told me he as asthma and I said that it was okay. Many of my good runners have asthma and the exercise improves their lung function. He went home and told his mom that I was making him run too much. He also told me he didn't have tennis shoes so the sandals were the only footwear he had. Then he changed his mind and said he did have tennis shoes and wore them to school.

Now the mom is saying she doesn't want him running at all during gym time b/c its not good for his asthma. If she doens't produce a doctors note, he should fully participate in my class and if his difficulties are that bad, the mom needs to get nebulizer, inhalers up to the school nurse which she hasn't done. She hasn't approached us and won't pick up the phone to open the lines of communication at all.

She won't even pick him up from his teacher after school b/c she deosn't want to listen to the teachers concerns. She won't answer the phone when my principal or his teacher has tried to contact her b/c she recognizes the phone numbers.

The child has already accumulated 4 unexcused absences in the first 2 weeks of school b/c if the kid doesn't want to go to school, she doesn't make him go. She has stated that the "excessive running" in PE is the reason for his missed school thus far due to a cough yet has not taken him to a doctor. He is falling WAY BEHIND in his school work. THe C-Scope curriculum which nearly every district in Texas has adopted is fast pace and aggressive. Missing that much school and not even picking up missed assignments isn't good at all!

They were taking to truency court last year at another school in our district for unexcused absences.

What in the world is our school going to do with this one? :dizzy:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2010

I don't know, but are you sure you aren't in my school? We have some parents that act just like the mom in your post. Attendance is a big issue in our district right now, and we've had several kiddos taken to court last year because of attendance issues.

4. ecl

ecl Rookie

Sep 9, 2010

How do you know this? Did she tell you these things?

You are making a lot of assumptions here.

As a parent, I would not appreciate having my child's hand stamped if she forgot to bring her lunch money. A note would be more appropriate.

I'd suggest you take a look at your assumptions regarding this family and toss them out the window. Keep an open mind, and remember you are there to support this child.

5. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Sep 9, 2010

I did speak to his classroom teacher about it so I am not assuming anything. It was his teacher who approached me to mention the asthma/excessive running issue. The mother complained to her but didn't come to talk to us about it. We post our schedule and conference times on our door. I would have no issue with her coming to observe what we are doing instead of taking a 6 year olds word for it or just coming in and talking to us.

I have been nothing but kind and accepting of this kiddo and I haven't had any issues with him in the gym besides the shoe problem. I have had a couple of convos with him when he has actually been to my class and I thought he was nice and funny. I didn't even know the mother was upset about anything.

6. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Sep 9, 2010

Our school uses stamps, which I think is great..I say go green and use less paper!! :thumb: All I can do is shake my head at some of the stuff people get upset about!! :rolleyes:

I have a student who will put her hand immediately on her forhead after getting the stamp so she has a mark on her forhead. I asked her why she did that...She told me when she gets into the car her mom will ask about the stamp on her forhead and she'll remember to tell her mom about bringing lunch money to school!! :lol:

7. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Sep 9, 2010

LOL! That's funny! If it helps her and her mom remember then why not? Many of the kids get stamped on the hadn for various rewards and other things so a kid having a stamp on their hand could mean a plethora of ideas not just the lunch money.

I don't know if this mother is looking to pick a fight with everyone but she sure has within the first 2 weeks of school.