A parent hung up on me - LOL

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Bella2010, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Sep 24, 2010

I agree with your post, Cerek. I tried to call every parent of every child the first few weeks to build that positive relationship.

Now, as a P, when I suspend a child and the parent is supportive....they receive a letter in the mail from me commending them for their support and efforts in helping us to educate their child...not just academically but emotionally.

Human beings have many experiences behind them....some make them happy, some make them angry. I choose to embrace people regardless of their good or poor choices in hopes that they repeat that approach.

Over-complimenting and praising of children may be a valid issue....but an abundance of "faith" in a child, or their parent, can never be overdone.

2. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2010

Oh, I get what you are saying now! You mean that if you were this parent, you would assume only negative calls were made. Right? I thought you mean YOU assumed the OP only made negative calls...I didn't understand why YOU would think that, but I see you're speaking from this parent's perspective. I get it...a little slow, but I get it. :p

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 24, 2010

I'm not anxious to get into this, but I would second the thought that I would think it's an emergency. I live on the edge with dh traveling so much-I'm sure I'll transfer this to our child. If this number had been a work number, there would have been a mental struggle on whether to answer the phone while at work. I keep my ringer on just in case of emergencies with dh while at school, but we all know how awful it would look to be on our cell in our classroom. I know it's not much different in other work environments. I save parent calls for the evening. It's NOT fun to make those calls yourself, but it's def. better for the parent.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2010

Just another thought:

I've always said that there's only so much authority in the world. Every single time I give a little of mine away, to the dean or to the parents, then in the eyes of my students, that's a little less that I have.

So if the only way to get the kids to do homework is to call home when they miss their first assignement, they I'm giving my classroom authority to the parents. They're not obeying ME or trying to keep out of trouble for ME, theyre doing it because of the authority of their parents.

Of course, the big issues are different. But one missing homework? Nope, not enough of a reason in my book.

5. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Sep 25, 2010

I know I said I was done with this. Obviously, I'm not. Who is to say she wouldn't have been equally as pi**ed if I called her during the day to make a "positive" contact????

Beth

6. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Sep 25, 2010

That's very true. If she was trying to sleep and a teacher called to say that "Mary is really keeping up on all of her assignments", she could be equally irritated with the disruption.

Keep up the good work Bella.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2010

I'm fairly sure Tiffany was responding to Cerek, not to the OP.

8. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Sep 25, 2010

I don't totally agree with that...

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 25, 2010

LOL - I would LOVE to learn the secret to making 30 second phone calls. I do not even know how that is even possible! Please share how one would do that. Heck, it takes 30 seconds for the line to connect and the parent to even pick up after it rings a couple of times in my city!

10. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Sep 25, 2010

Absolutely Alice. I came in on this thread much too late so the debate going back and forth, for me, has nothing to do with the OP. I stated that in my first post because I think the OP had the best of intentions. My opinion is, however, that calling home the first time a child doesn't bring in homework seems a bit excessive.

But by no means do I believe that Bella is not an exceptional teacher who is working hard to make contacts with the parents/families.

11. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 26, 2010

Ok... I guess it IS time to put this one to rest. Good night conflict. Onto another week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.