A Novice Sub's Questions & Concerns

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Jam, Sep 5, 2021.

1. Jam

Jam New Member

Sep 5, 2021

I am finishing up my credentials and studying for my exams. In the meantime, I thought it would be helpful to do some substitute teaching this fall. Well, I have a TON of butterflies due to not being in a classroom since my practicum and of course COVID-19. So I thought, I would wait things out for a month to get a better idea of how COVID-19, may actually play into all of this. Meanwhile, I have looked into the available districts and most of the schools are in districts that are not very safe, so I'm also concerned about that.
    In addition, when I applied for substitute teaching jobs most of these available "positions" were provided through agencies. Is it okay to work with more than one substitute teaching agency or is it better to inform one of the agencies that you found work elsewhere? Maybe there is an obvious answer to my question, idk! Maybe my gitters are getting in my way, lol.

Any feedback and or tips would be very much appreciated. I have googled tips for classroom mangement especially as it relates to being a sub, but I welcome any advice from anyone who has been there before. Thanks so much. If everything goes well I should be substitute teaching in October. Thanks you!

3. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2021

I have never heard of applying through agencies.....just districts.
    You might want to find 2-3 schools that you think you might like. I'd guess P's are desperate for subs right now. (They've given ours a 150. a day raise here this yr.) If you emailed or called, and could meet with a few, you might find one P who seems like he/she'd be fun to work with.
    If you can stay within a small number of schools, you get to know the climates better. If you like a certain place, put them 1st. By being at a school a lot, you will up your chances for a long term sub job. Plus, if you are looking for full time next year, you up your odds of getting hired.
    Try to work out the jitters through exercise, prayer, whatever works for you! Keep in mind this year, they'll probably be so tickled to have you! We had tons of teachers who chose to retire and no one wants to sub due to Covid. So...you will probably be greeted warmly and people will be thankful you are there for them! :) Best wishes!

4. Jam

Jam New Member

Sep 6, 2021

Thank you for your advice, Tired Teacher. From what I can see MI school districts use either private companies or agencies for their substitute teaching needs. What did you mean by P's?

5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2021

YW....Oh, I never lived in MI, so that makes sense. :) P= Principal

6. Jam

Jam New Member

Sep 6, 2021

Oh, that makes sense. Looks like I will have some lingo to learn.

Tired Teacher likes this.