A Nice Suprise

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by RainStorm, Feb 14, 2008.

1. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 14, 2008

I got up around 5am to walk the dogs, and noticed snow covering the car, but none on the ground. It was very icy! We weren't expecting this. Our area is in the South, and we don't get snow or ice often.

So later, around 6:30 I was reading the newspaper online, and I saw that our districe is opening 2 hours late! What a nice surprise! My students will arrive 5 minutes before their lunch time!

Snow days we have to make up (yuck!) but going in late --we don't.

Happy Valentine's Day!

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 14, 2008

I had to look just to see where you were located in the South. South to me is Georgia, Florida, Texas......:p

Nice surprise though! I was afraid we were going to be delayed or closed. I was glad we weren't because we are only a half day today for students and it is Valentines. I'm such a sucker for kid holidays.

P.S. I have a pink T-shirt on that says Kiss Me. Over it I have a nice black low V neck sweater that still reveals the kiss me without highlighting that I'm wearing a Tshirt. Don't tell anybody that this Tshirt came with a set of PJ's. :whistle:

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 14, 2008

Your secret is safe with me!

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 14, 2008

See...no wonder I thought you were a man. There are 3-4 things to post about and you picked the risque one. :p J/K

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2008

I always loved getting delays. Now I am in the deep south and so far no snow days. Though they say tomorrow we're supposed to get some. We'll see!

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY! :wub:

7. kburen

kburen Cohort

Feb 14, 2008

We had the delay in VA too ;) You must me close by

8. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Feb 14, 2008

Ugh... this delay totally made our day crazy, though!

I have to laugh because up north (at least in my area districts in OH and PA) if we had a 2 hour delay, the teachers STILL had to show up at their regularly scheduled time. Imagine my surprise when I came to school this morning, knowing about the 2 hour delay, and was the only teacher there. That's okay, I got a lot of work done and had the copy machine alllllllll to myself! :D

9. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 14, 2008

I went in a bit early. It was a crazy-house already! The Y program said it would be open at 8am, but they couldn't find anyone who could work (the workers have other jobs later in the day) so they didn't open. Parents, assuming it was open, dropped the kids off and drove away. Other parents, knowing well and good the school wasn't opening until 11:00am, still dropped the kids off and drove away.

I went in at 9am thinking I'd get some work done, and ended up volunteering to watch 10 kids. The office was full of kids, and the phones were ringing off the hook. THe poor AP was trying to handle all the phone calls. She looked relieved when I offered to take a bunch of the kids to my classroom.

And yes, they were wound-up all day!

But, we had a nice Valentine's Day, and now it is evening and peaceful again. I didn't get any of the work done before class that I would have liked, but.. that's how it goes sometimes.